1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb Anquish

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Tele_Dude, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Tele_Dude

Tele_Dude NEW MEMBER!

My DRRI has a strange reverb problem. The reverb only works if the reverb tank is outside of the cabinet. Inside the cabinet I have no reverb and as the reverb is increased noise increases. At the moment I have the tank sitting on the floor beside my amp and it's working perfectly. I've cleaned the connections, checked the cables, made sure the bag wasn't screwed down to tight. Also checked to make sure the cardboard on the bottom wasn't touching the springs in any way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be needing the amp for a gig soon.

I'm also thinking about building a box and moving the tank outside for good. Any advice?

2. brown2bob

brown2bob TDPRI Member

I'd venture a guess that you have a broken connection somewhere either in the connectors or wires. I'd recommend carefully flexing the wires to confirm and replace the wires/connectors as needed.

Wally and corliss1 like this.
  3. Tele_Dude

Tele_Dude NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the reply, I'll go through checking the wires and connections again. Do you think if could be interference from the speaking?

I'll also clean the RCA connections with contact cleaner to see if that makes a difference.

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It sounds like bad wires or RCA jacks. On some of these modern cables the outside "grippers" are real thin and weak.... terrible. If you find that is it, get a set of vintage style cables off Ebay, there are sellers that make them up. Or make some.

AlbertaGriff and corliss1 like this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The speaker does not interfere with operation of the reverb pan.

One very common problem with reverb pans is how they're assembled: most use a pinch connector for each wire from the RCA jack to the transducer at each end of the pan. The pinch blade in the connector is designed to cut throught the wire insulation and make contact with the conductor. The problem is this pinch blade also partially cuts the conductor. Over time, vibrations through use cause the copper wire to work-harden and become brittle, and the conductor breaks. This can lead to problems like you're having now.

These pinch connectors work just like those crappy blue wire connectors that come with automotive trailer light kits. They're junk.

You can test for continuity through the connector with a meter. Gently flex the connection (black and green wires below) as you're testing to see if you're getting intermittent continuity through it.

If it is broken, and you can solder and work carefully, you can fix this by pulling the wires from that connection, clipping them off at the pinch, and soldering them onto the pinch blades of the connector. Mind the polarity of the connections when doing this surgery.

Be very gentle with the springs; they are suspended on hair-thin wires from the transducers and any rough handling will break the suspensions.

Look here:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    scelestus and brown2bob like this.
  6. brown2bob

brown2bob TDPRI Member

You could get interference if the shield (ground) is broken/open. If the wires are OK for both signal & ground, there should be no issues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.