Revelations from a Super Beatles fan

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Oh, from the thread title, I thought you might have meant this...

iu

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
Remember - she has the same voting rights as a Beatle now. When they made the Beatles Anthology series, it originally had candid conversation about Yoko in it that she insisted be cut. Like Anthology, Get Back could not be made without her consent. so they definitely weren't going to show any truly negative stuff about her.

I definitely need to rewatch Get Back.

The Above Us Only Sky film about Lennon is like this, too. Lots of talking head scenes of people praising Yoko. I’m sure there is some degree of sincerity in these statements, and a lot of the Yoko bashing has always been whipped up by media sensationalism, which society in general is obviously gullible enough to fall for regardless of the topic. But the amount of Yoko rebranding in the Beatles universe these days is clearly noticeable. There’s also a reluctance to say anything negative about John. It was he who insisted she be present in the studio, after all.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I loved the Paul McCartney 321 series with Rick Ruben. Especially the moments where they would show how Paul and John were often playing two different songs at the same time.

Like the Clash or Weezer before Matt Sharp left, two writers in the group with conflicting styles and moods can result in some really great songs.... If they can figure out how to keep it together.

Last edited:

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I loved Heather McCartney mocking Yoko into the mic, just too cute.

OP, I agree with everything you said in your post! But... This scene in Get Back was edited to make it look like Heather was mimicking Yoko. It's not that way in the original Let It Be movie, and Fabs Fans smarter/more detail-oriented than me have pointed out elsewhere on the net the editing incongruities in this section of the new film. Point being, it was cute, but probably didn't really happen that way in real time!

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
OP, I agree with everything you said in your post! But... This scene in Get Back was edited to make it look like Heather was mimicking Yoko. It's not that way in the original Let It Be movie, and Fabs Fans smarter/more detail-oriented than me have pointed out elsewhere on the net the editing incongruities in this section of the new film. Point being, it was cute, but probably didn't really happen that way in real time!
hmmmmmm?

teletina

Tele-Meister
I have been into them full time since the Ed Sullivan show I saw when I was 8 or 9. I had the butcher Cover album the day it came out. I won a Beatles trivia contest on a radio station at 10. YEAH YEAH YEAH, I love them. I was depressed walking out of the Let it be movie some 40 years ago. It was like your parents telling you they hate each other and they are getting divorced. SO I watched get back, WOW. I saw they loved each other very much. I thought the music came way easy too them, like it was secondary to the fun they were having. I like how they didn't seem too worried about deadlines and confident they could do whatever they needed. But heck, Paul's bass playing is just landmark, innovative & extraordinary. Pulling killer original basslines from the air? My God. They sung and harmonized effortlessly. And Ringo proved he is as bad arse as the best drummers just keeping it potent, but simple. You can't touch John and George looks for the most innovative timeless guitar parts to sprinkle here and there. They seem so nonchalant, yet no one could touch them. One more thing, seeing this, they were good for another two stellar albums. AND, I don't think Yoko ruined anything. AND I loved Heather McCartney mocking Yoko into the mic, just too cute.
Even most experienced musicians who came to play in my tribute band says that isn't easy task to play them, when you dig on their songs, you see how not simple are .

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
There is one scene that to me pointed out the need for a manager figure to maintain a bit of order. Paul eluded that all the horse play was killing the creativity and work flow mentioning Mr. Ebstein’s absence. Somebody needed to coral the madness, thin the crowd of ’hangers on’ and spectators. Only film crew and techs. Yes, Yoko to me being the constant fifth chair would have put me off after awhile. It’s very spinal tappy.
The film underscores how important George Martin was in providing support though he wasn’t in his normal role for this album. His quote about final album sums it up pretty well “Produced by George Martin, over-produced by Phil Spector”.
The image quality looked like it was filmed yesterday. Great watch.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I didn't think Ed intentionally restricted his audience to grownups pre-Beatles - but who else would have wanted tickets to see his weekly parade of old Jewish comics, Broadway actors, Gypsy acrobats, Sinatra wannabes, vaudeville relics & plate-spinners to the tune of the Sabre Dance...and that damnable mouse?

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve recently been tuning in to see who is on the 7 pm Ed Sullivan episode on my over the air tv. Usually there’ll be a few great music acts each week, but it’s remarkable how many corny, catering to the old white crowd acts he had on the show. I guess that what this guy considered quality entertainment.

BramptonRob1958

Tele-Holic
I think "Paul Jones" Guilty pleasure was wishing he'd been cast in the role of Archie Bunker!

Obstinate, opinionated and most often wrong about any topic.....

Well at least he had the balls to share his point of view.....I wonder how long after this article he retired?