Reunion of my college era band

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by '64 Tele, Apr 17, 2019.

1. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

40 years after recording our independent release EP, we got back together for the first time since 1981.
    I'd seen our drummer once (about a year and a half ago), one of the guitarists about 1996 (last time) and the other guitarist 4 times over the years.
    We're pretty spread out (KC area, NW Arkansas, New Orleans and LA), so getting together was a herculean task with everyone's schedules.
    We did some individual wood shedding ahead of time, then knocked out 20+ songs we used to do and video'd them in my studio.
    Here's a couple group shots and a reissue of our earlier EP (put out a few years ago along with some live tracks). We were actually in the top ten picks of Trouser Press magazine for 1980.

We had a good time and was fun to get together after all these years. And yes, I'm an old fart.

Here's a YouTube link to one of the EP songs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Seasicksailor, DonM, Stubee and 20 others like this.
  2. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Well done, fun photos and good job on the recording

3. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Thanks....first time any of us had ever been in a studio. We knocked out 4 songs, mixed and mastered them in less than 8 hrs studio time. We had them rehearsed to the point we could do them in our sleep.

Two guys in the middle carried on after other guitar player (maroon shirt) and I (in the HD shirt) graduated from KU. This later version of the band opened for a bunch of Irish youngsters known as U2 on their first US tour for their KC, Mo. date (Uptown Theater). Wish I'd been there for that one. :rolleyes:

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I enjoyed the recording. Thanks! The reunion sounds great.

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Well how cool. Great song.

6. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

Really cool! I was just a bit behind you graduated KU in 1993. Great bands born in Lawrence and passing through back in the day. I'm impressed with the recording

7. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

We did it at Chapman Studios in KC back in 1979. Most of the Titan Records (power pop label) was done at Chapman Studios around the same time.
    We played a lot at Lawrence Opera House (now Liberty Hall) and Off the Wall Hall (now the Bottleneck) in Lawrence.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very, very cool!
    I wonder how many of “us” dream of getting the old band back together.
    I’m guilty as hell!

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

that's so 80's :)
    make sure ye bring plenty of ibuprofen and painkillers for the dancing crowd.

10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

cool man. is the link to new stuff or old stuff?

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I still play with my drummer I began playing with in 1966. My former bass player (from same era) has a busy psychiatric practice, and mainly just plays at his church. Our keyboard player is a Radiologist, his mother does my taxes every year....apparently he still plays infrequently with bands. He and I had some bad feelings when we broke up.(and I get the feeling he still holds a grudge :() We played from Junior High through High School and into college. But after forty-five+ years apart, I doubt we could "recapture" the old magic we used to have. Might be fun to try, though.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm hoping to do something similar this summer with members of the band I played with in College. We aren't getting any younger and some of us haven't seen each other in years.

Congratulations on doing it! That song put a smile on my face.

13. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Link is to one of the original EP cuts. Apparently we have some "fans" that have posted our EP cuts to YouTube.
    My wife and I were in New Orleans back in 2016 and other guitar player from New Orleans and I were interviewed for a college radio show by a DJ that was a fan of ours. That was kind of unexpected, but fun.

noah330 likes this.
  14. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Very cool (... kind of reminds me of The Records - Starry Eyes).

was that 16 or 24 track (any studio specifics you'd like to share)

Again, very cool!

15. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Recorder was a 16 track, drums, bass and rhythm guitar done live, vocals and lead guitar overdubs.
    We used 2 black face Deluxe Reverbs in the studio. Rhythm guitar was a 1968 SG Std thru the DR and then studio chorus/compression. 12 string pieces in a couple places were played by the bass player on a Rick 12 string direct into board. My lead was actually 3 takes pieced together and then at the end (last phrase) all three layered. I was playing a Gibson LP '55 Special RI direct into my 1966 DR.
    I did lead vocal, bass player did the higher harmony part.

We had kind of a unique line up. Guy that played bass on the cut with the YouTube link actually was a bass player (and a damn good one). He had started the group and wanted to play guitar and be front man/lead singer. So, we ALL agreed to share bass duties. Each live gig, each of the (guitarists) would take a set on bass, other two on guitar. This gave us a different sound on each set/lineup.
    On the EP, I played bass on one, the other two played bass on the remaining cuts. This band was where I learned (sort of) to play bass, which helped out in the future, as I still play bass on my home recordings.

We were supposed to open for The Records in KC, but show was cancelled for some reason or something. Here's a promo poster for that show.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  16. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Another cut from the 1979 EP.

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Not very many people get to re-form after Forty Years!
    You are Blessed!

18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Do you know Mike Donoho, who played in bands in Topeka and Lawrence in this era, called The Tunes and Psychic Archie?

19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That’s great and had to feel good.

20. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I remember seeing the Tunes and probably talked with him at a show or two. I moved from Lawrence in spring 1980 and continued to play in Lawrence thru 1981.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.