1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Returning a third new Bullet Tele - What happened to Squier QC?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by DADGAD, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up a Squier bass about seven years ago - every component was cheap junk. Like someone said above, they're beginner guitars with the possible exception of the CV series.

I have noticed on this and another guitar forum that Fender seems to be shipping a lot of guitars at all price points with obvious construction flaws. I've seen at least one 70th Anniversary Broadcaster, lots of Vinteras, and a few American Pro series guitars getting sent back when they shouldn't have even left the factory in the first place. I'm thinking they're trying to clear out flawed inventory or something while new production is limited.

2. Gevalt

Gevalt TDPRI Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Switchy likes this.
  3. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Unless the Guitars are listed as seconds I would expect them to be fault free and in good working order - regardless of the pricepoint.

Esetter1 likes this.
  4. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’m not sure what to tell you. Those are the guitars the new people at the factory learn on. Contacts QC wherever you’re getting them from and Squier. You never know. Personally I don’t buy the cheapest stuff. I got no problem with bargain guitars. I own 10 and none cost me over $450 used. There’s quality aplenty up the $cale a little bit. One of my latest is a Squier but I wouldn’t by a bullet model. I’ve owned two and they were great before I knew better. Sounds like you know better.

5. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Factory made guitars are like canned food. If you want it cheap, you choose cheap ingredients and keep QC at a minimum. In the end, I mean the customer's end, it's hit or miss: you can end up with a "rather good" instrument or a complete dud...

6. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I would guess everybody that has ever bought a Squier has had to fix one of these issues, and then everything was peachy.
    But to expect that everything is a 100% out of the box is reaching.
    I know that at minimum the fret ends will need dressing. A good chance tuners will need to be replaced, and if it's a Bullet, not an Affinity, even the electronics will need to be completely upgraded.

I wouldn't accept paint damage however, that's a big deal.

For $120 to $175 new, it's a conscious decision that you're buying a "not yet perfect" guitar. But if you're like me, it's still a fabulous purchase, and I'm happy to put in the time to make it mine.

7. blackspider57

blackspider57 Tele-Meister

Out of the box for $129.00 with no issues. Sometimes you get lucky. Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 7.27.44 PM.png

studio1087, DADGAD and 650thunderbird like this.
  8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

On my Bullet Telecaster's inspection tag, the same employee, "T-3", had stamped the Electronics box (the switch was faulty) and the Setup box (the bridge saddles were all over the place).

T-3 is not to be trusted. T-3 might be on the dope.

DADGAD likes this.
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith TDPRI Member

I bought the same model earlier this year.. Frets were very unpolished.. like sandpaper when bending at all. I've owned a lot of Squiers in the bullet and Affinity range, and that was the first Squier product that's been that bad for me.

Ended up switching the neck for a Strat neck, and all is well, anyway.

10. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mine was perfect other than the frets needed polishing. IMO, the Bullets are a solid guitar based on a solid design. Of course components are the main way they they keep the price point low. They rely on the warranty to keep people happy while keeping the purchase price as low as possible. People pay twice as much for a single pickup for crissakes!

studio1087 likes this.
  11. Mcseitz

Mcseitz TDPRI Member

Like I posted a couple weeks ago, I opened my GC in-store delivery Bullet Squier in the store to see if there were any obvious defects, then handed it to the Tech to see what he thought. This worked out great for me.

Other than his adjustments and the strings being a little oxidized it was fine. Swapping strings at home gave me a chance to polish frets and oil the fretboard - about what I would expect to do with any guitar purchase that sailed the Pacific.

Hope your next one is as good as mine.

bls82261 and Boreas like this.
  12. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum TDPRI Member

Does anyone know where T-3 was on the night OP’s guitars were stolen?

DADGAD likes this.
  13. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Don't forget Squiers are a contractor job. They will probably always vary in QAQC due to this fact.

14. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Finally picked up a Squier Bullet that was a keeper. In review, my search went like this.

1. Surf green. Returned because the bridge and nut were installed incorrectly.

2. Surf Green. Returned because it had a paint chip due the shipping and the walnut strip on the back of the neck was loose.

3. Lake Placid Blue. Returned because the switch was bad. But it was a little heavy as well.

4. Surf green (in store). Nice but has shop wear. No original box, paperwork, tags or Allen wrenches.

5. BSB (in store). Nice neck. Guitar was very stiff. Like it was made from a steel girder.

I bought #4 because in spite of Guitar Denter abuse, it was an otherwise good guitar. After deciding it was a keeper, I installed a set of Guitar Madness alnico pickups and a Switchcraft jack.

15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

You get what you pay for? Possible!
    My local store, like most big stores, has a bunch of squiers hanging up. I play them once in a while while checking out a pedal or something. They're obviously not great guitars by today's standards, and the necks are too small for my taste anyhow, but I can see them as a good value if you need something cheap or you are not sure you will stick with it. Why guys buy two or three (or more) bottom of the barrel instruments instead of one good one is just beyond me though.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Wow this sounds like a total PITA. If I had to buy five of something to get one keeper, and then mod it, that would put me off the brand forever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.