1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Returning a third new Bullet Tele - What happened to Squier QC?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by DADGAD, Nov 10, 2020.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

October 11, my office was broken into and three quitars were stolen. One was a 2017 surf green Squier Bullet tele that was modified with alnico pickups. It was my main slide guitar for recording.

A new one like it popped up at the local GC and I brought it home. I discovered that the bridge plate was installed off and was shifted to one side. Also, the nut was installed poorly and the high e string was prone to falling off the edge of the fretboard. Back it went.

A week later, a replacement guitar came in. This one had a chunk of paint taken out near the rear strap button. Not Fender's problem as it was damaged/dropped in shipping. I could live with it if it was a good guitar. It wasn't. The walnut skunk stripe was loose. You could press on it in the middle of the neck and it would move. Back it went.

The third Squire Bullet Tele came in a week after that. This one in Lake Placed Blue. Pretty guitar with a mint green pickguard. Last night, the selector switch failed. The neck pickup works intermittantly and I verified it was the switch by pulling the control plate and testing with my multimeter.

Should I keep trying until a good one comes in? How many times will GC replace a guitar for me? Every instance has been ship to store. I don't mind being patient.

2. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n TDPRI Member

I bought a Jackson SDXQ from Thomann last year. When it arrived the floyd was off-center and the bottom E fell off the neck at higher frets. So I returned it.

the replacement arrived. The Floyd was closer to center, but not perfect, but the string retainer bar was positioned such that the bottom E string was virtually impossible to install, and when you DID finally manage it the string coils pressed against the bar and pulled all the other strings sharp.

That too went back and the order was cancelled. Indonesian made and aren’t Jackson owned by Fender? Both stamped as passed QC

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

The switch in my Bullet failed after a few days, too. I think it's a common problem. I had a spare, so it wasn't a big deal.

If everything else is satisfactory, replace the switch and enjoy.

4. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Did you find a Cor-tec switch or use something else?

5. LutherBurger

I suspect a bad batch of Cor-Tek switches is the root of the problem. The spare I had on hand was a similar box switch with no name on it.

If you want, you can troubleshoot the Cor-Tek switch and try to repair it. The problem in mine was a loose solder lug that caused an intermittent connection. I might have been able to tighten it or solder it in place, but I didn't bother because I had a spare.

stepvan and DADGAD like this.
  6. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

The MII Classic Vibe 60s Tele I bought a couple of weeks ago (since returned) was a disappointment. How the nut passed QC I'll never know. Of course, even if it had been well built it would still sound like crud thanks to the plinky nato body.

secretsoundz likes this.
  7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It's almost as if Squier cuts corners when they make inexpensive guitars.

8. LutherBurger

:lol:

True dat, but after working the bugs out of my $120 Bullet, I'm very happy with it.

Gevalt and Obxkjdj like this.
  9. blackspider57

blackspider57 Tele-Meister

I would think as many times as it takes to sell you a defect-free guitar. It took me three times to get a BSB Bullet two years ago.

DADGAD likes this.
  10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

despite what you might hear around here from squire fans, squire guitars have never been the height of flawless or anything. It seems like they were worse 15-20 years ago to me than are now though.

Gevalt and Jakedog like this.
  11. Obxkjdj

Obxkjdj TDPRI Member

Attached Files:

Gevalt likes this.
  12. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

I’d start with a squier affinity.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

What you have experienced is not abnormal IME. There's a big difference between the $100–$200 Squiers and the $300–$400 Squiers.

Sometimes you'll get a quite finely made sub-$200 example...but it's almost never, IME. With the $300–$400 ones (Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe, Paranormal, etc.), you are much more likely to get one that is better made.

FWIW, I have played two new $400 Squiers in the past two weeks that absolutely blew me away, being clearly better than any MIM Fender I've ever played...and one $200 one that was 95 percent as good as them. One of the $400 ones was my bandmate's CME Exclusive Esquire. The other was a Paranormal Thinline Cabronita that I purchased. Both had almost Fender AVRI/AV/AO level fretwork...and I say that as a very harsh judge of factory fretwork. The $200 one was a CME Exclusive Bronco Bass. It's fretwork was nearly as good, but fell very slightly short of the other two. None of them were dead perfect...but all of them had better fretwork than any MIM Fender I have ever played (and I have played A LOT). As I said, just short of Fender's fretwork on their $2,000-level guitars. I haven't seen Squiers this good since the '80s...and even then, these new ones still hold the edge over those in terms of fretwork.

If you like everything else about the guitar, then just get the switch fixed using the manufacturer's warranty. That's what it's for.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I have bought very few new guitars that didn't need something doing beyond setting them up. The rest all had issues. And most have cost a lot more than Bullets.

Examples: a Fender with a lopsided neck, a Guild with a high fret, a D'Angelico with stripped screw holes and a dodgy switch.

If they sound good and I like them, I usually prefer to learn how to fix the issue. But I get why some people would send them back.

15. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I think the overall price of a guitar often gives you a hint of what to expect, regardless of the brand. I've only bought one new low price guitar that I would describe as a decent player out of the box. That was my little lpj style from an independent builder.

I recently bought an Epiphone les paul special with p90s that was too cheap new to resist. It's not terrible but I still need to finish setting it up. The bridge is almost all the way down but the top strings are still too high above the 12th fret and a bit buzzy. Shim I guess but I haven't got around to it yet.

So I don't think qc issues are just a Squier problem.

16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

DSCN1123.JPG I bought two of them when MF had them for $129, and I had to replace the switch in one of them. The finish on the back of the neck isn't sanded real smooth. Its a bit rough, but it doesn't bother me, 'cause I don't feel it when playing, and the fretwork is good. After replacing the ceramics with some nice Alnicos, they're now two of my Favorite Teles I've ever had.

DADGAD likes this.
  17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You are buying an absolute beginner guitar. What do you expect? Sorry your axes were stolen.

18. don

don Tele-Meister

I have 3 of them - 1st 2 were pretty darn great right outta the box. This last one is different. I bought it used from GC on the cheap. It really needed a full fret level and I've been wanting to learn how to do that so that was not a deal buster. I also noticed that the plastic thing in the slot where you adjust the truss rod was painted red and when I removed the tuners to replace them, the tuner holes were red sparkle so it appears this neck was prepped and painted for another Squier series with a red sparkle painted headstock. Maybe it was lying around the factory and got sanded down and repurposed for this surf green bullet. The fretboard is noticeably lighter than the new ones so it may be a different material. Oh well, its a cheap guitar and I've learned a lot fine tuning it so its still a big win.

19. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I personally am amazed at how good of some of them are for the price. It stinks to have to return several, but yeah, I mean... a playable guitar at 150 bucks seems like a pipe dream, IMHO. In the late 80's early 90's that was just not happening. At least to my recollection.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What happened to squier QC? I don’t know. Sounds like it’s the same as its always been.

gregulator450 and telemaster03 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.