1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Returned my Super Champ XD today.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by phillip lee, Mar 5, 2011.

1. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

I really wanted to bond with this thing, but after two weeks, I took it back.Why? Not really sure, it just irritated me. I came close to "That Sound" I have been looking for but it wouldn't go further. No standby, hard to get it to do "Real Tube Amp " things like smoothing out when hot and cranked. Too piercing, too digital.
    I ran it through several 12's, set it on a stand, tried it with every guitar I own. It is basically a 2 trick pony, clean and setting 16. Now, I'm not criticising it for folks who love these amps, I loved it too the first night. But I found a better sound.
    I purchased a small Yamaha PA with a subwoofer and run my Digitech pedal through it along with a TC Helicon Create for my mike preamp.
    Flame away, but for this bedroom studio the sound blended clearly and sounds wonderful! I'm not sure I need another amp cept my old 5 watt Valve Jr.
    Thanks for hearing me out.

2. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

All that really matters is that you've found what works for you. Congrats!!!

I love my little SCXD, but it works for me. Like the saying goes, "YMMV".

3. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't gone past setting "3" (heavily overdriven tweed tone) with slapback echo and reverb -- and I've had it for a year.

4. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Really? Just reach down there and give that voice knob a little twist...try it, you'll like it...:)

5. Mike S.

Mike S. Tele-Meister

As with everything, to each his own. Glad to hear you have settled on something that DOES suit you never the less.

For my situations, it happens to be the SCXD.

6. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

I really shouldn't have been so harsh concerning my evaluation, it really sounded exceptional during my initial trial runs.
    I think my age has something to do with it. Instead of one initial source of sound such that comes from an amp the stereo PA could be heard clearer at lesser volume with a fuller tone. I am now into cleaner clearer tones than my metal days and the Yamaha powered speakers have no distortion whatever. The amp emulations the Digitech supplies are tweaked with less gain and heavier bass, I find myself hating high frequencies these days.
    That was the big thing with the Super XD, it seemed to emit a higher frequency that left me exhausted hearing-wise after mid-level playing, maybe it is just my imagination.
    Anyway, after reading more glowing reviews of these amps perhaps I will try another, it is possible the floor model I purchased from GC was somehow not in Spec, so to speak.

7. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

I love that tone with my two Teles -- but now that I have the Xaviere hollowbody with the GFS Retrotrons, I may try that on one of the British settings!

8. pjholland

pjholland Tele-Holic

I had one and returned it also. I absolutely loved the clean channel but channel 2 was just awful (most of it) and I couldn't stand the fact that I would have an amp with a second channel that I would never use. If Fender decided to make this amp without channel 2 plus a 12" speaker I'd jump on it.

9. justatwanging

justatwanging Banned

Just played another gig Friday evening in a School Gym with 200 + people and my SCXD performed great. We stuck a Shure 58 in front of the speaker for mixing board control also.
    The problem with a Factory stock SCXD is the cheap transistor radio speaker they put in the amp[Where's the magnet?] I knew the stock speaker would not work for me after only 2 hours of playing.Installed an Eminence Copperhead speaker and have never looked back at the stock speaker.
    There are several 10" speaker choices out there that make the SCXD perform very well.The Copperhead gets "close" to the sound of a good "12 inch speaker" which keeps the portability feature of the amp intact and not purchasing a larger cabinet to house a 12 inch speaker.

If you read the comments posted in my link one can see that the stock speaker is a big issue with serious tone junkies.

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=314

10. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

I didn't take your comments as overly harsh. You never called it a POS.....:p It just didn't work for you. I've had some amps that others have raved about that didn't work for me, either. For example, there is a lot of love on the forums for the DRRI. I had one, and hated it.

As much as I like my SCXD, there are some thing that aggrevate me about it, too. It gets a little noise on channel 2 if you're using a lot of gain. There is also a slight time delay when switching between channels. Both are annoying, but I can live with them.

The SCXD has a lot of potential, but needs some TLC. I re-biased mine, which is important. I also swapped out the stock speaker for an Emi Ragin Cajun. Both made a big difference in the amp's performance, so I would agree that your floor model was probably not to spec, at least as far as the bias is concerned.

Good luck with your new rig !!!

11. cbucki

cbucki Tele-Meister

I'm also in the "returned-it" club.

I didn't really have an aversion to anything it did tonally, but I couldn't stand the hiss-when-idle factor. In q quiet studio or room, I could hear the amp from quite a distance before I ever plugged-in.

I had both the black and blonde at various times and they both made the unwanted noise. I also checked every one I came across in local stores to be sure it's not a home power issue. It's not.

Still a great amp value if you don't mind a little ambient noise...

12. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I spent a lot of time at the music store with the SCXD and Blues Jr., and I came home with the Blue Jr.

Now I am wanting to upgrade the Blue Jr.

13. hooch1

hooch1 Tele-Meister

I really tried hard to like the SCXD but never could bond with it. It just sounded a little thin to my ears. Of course, this is completely stock, never did anything to it.

14. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I like it ok. It's a small portable amp that sounds pretty good and does the job I need it to do.

Every amp has its limitations...especially small, relatively inexpensive, low-powered light and portable amps...and I accept that. I could've paid more and gotten a better amp, but I chose to stay in this price range.

I think some people expect too much from small, cheap amps. They want "tonal nirvana," but you ain't gonna find it in an amp like this. It will never compare to a Twin or JTM45, or even a Deluxe Reverb...that's expecting too much.

15. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

I think of course it will not compare to its bigger relatives, but for what it is worth I think the XD is a great little amp for the sole reason that it has a lot of clean headroom. I love the clean tones and hardly use the other digital settings. I just run my practice pedalboard through the clean channel and get exactly what I want enough clean headroom and an array of other tones...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.