Return of the non-slotted brass saddles

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Well, almost. I tried some boutique saddles on both of my parts Teles (traditional solid body and a thinline) and found myself returning back to basics except leaving the aluminum E/A saddle because I like how it sounds. One would think there should be virtually no difference between a slotted and unslotted brass saddle but my brain is telling me otherwise. I can't see how that wee loss of mass in the 2 slots could account for it, but my aged ears tell me the traditional barrels sustain a bit better and aren't as raspy. Break angle maybe? No criticism for their maker, I really like what the aluminum saddle does for the E/A. Maybe it's a Princess and the Pea thing, who knows.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
It makes sense to me.

The way the strings contact the barrel. The mass and height of the barrel. And like you said... The break angle.

I've never done any comparisons, but I use the angled barrels for compensation as opposed to other designs that cause the string to contact the barrel in a different way.

I've always liked the sound of old wraparound bridges on SG and LP JRs as well, where the strings land in a similar way.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Sometimes, not totally on purpose. I whack the h3ll out of a Tele.

I've never had the strings move on the bridge saddles. Tele of course.

Can't imagine too much tonal difference between the two.

With string through and the given break angle. The tension at the saddles has to be pretty immense.

Possibly, really whacking on open strings it might be possible to move them?

Never really seen the need for slotted saddles.

I think it's time for a very well crafted and recorded slotted-unslotted, brass-steel-aluminum-titanium, ash-alder, maple-rosewood, PIO-ceramic-poly and God only knows how many pickup variations there could be thread. Headphones only.

I'm sure that would end all the speculation and doubts.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
1656979172097.png

Got $40? Problem solved.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Well, almost. I tried some boutique saddles on both of my parts Teles (traditional solid body and a thinline) and found myself returning back to basics except leaving the aluminum E/A saddle because I like how it sounds. One would think there should be virtually no difference between a slotted and unslotted brass saddle but my brain is telling me otherwise. I can't see how that wee loss of mass in the 2 slots could account for it, but my aged ears tell me the traditional barrels sustain a bit better and aren't as raspy. Break angle maybe? No criticism for their maker, I really like what the aluminum saddle does for the E/A. Maybe it's a Princess and the Pea thing, who knows.

So, you can, consider that it changes the sound by the saddles missing 1 gram of material but you never considered that the material they're made of might not be exactly the same? And it just might be that THIS is the reason they don't sound the same?

IMO, it's a much more logical choice versus believing the difference is from having/not having a slot.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
but you never considered that the material they're made of might not be exactly the same?
Certainly not excluding any possibility including some expectation producing a false perception. If I were to guess it would be a combination of that and possibly the break angle differences between slotted/unslotted brass.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
I've tried the slotted saddles on my 2000 Thinline, but I have never really found that they helped with anything.

Instead it made it so that you had to crank up the height on the saddles higher than I liked. That extra height made made it seem to have less sustain.

Maybe it has to do with the vibration transfer through the saddle screws and the saddles themselves? I would imagine that the amount of contact the screws have down futher in the saddle could change how the vibrations transfer.

Last edited: