1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Return of the Headless Bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Peltogyne, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

The new Stephen Colbert show house band is using a newer Steinberger headless bass. This time the trend will stay, mark my words!

2. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Wish you were right!
    I love'em, but sadly miss the original full graphite series of instruments.
    Since Gibson took over, and put the brand under Epiphone managment, well, things are not what they used to be, to put it mildly.
    My only hope is, that sooner or later anybody will be able to print one on these 3d printers. There is one version now that handles graphite, still not big enought to put out a GL2T, but we'll see!

3. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

hohner

As I understand it the Steinberger was made at least in part by Hohner. Some even were distributed with Hohner logo . Not a bad thing at all. Have never played one but would like to.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  4. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

I had a Hohner just like the one pictured above, except all three knobs were black.

My understanding is the Steinbergers were made of graphite, and the Hohners were licensed copies made of wood.

Mine was okay except for one thing: due to the lack of a headstock and how the small body hangs on a strap - farther to the right of the body, for a right-handed player - it was easy to quickly reach my left hand way down the neck, perhaps to grab the low F note on the E string, and over-shoot the target.

But, I bought it used and sold it for the same amount when I was done with it, so I was probably only out the cost of a pack of strings to try one out for a while. I remember the guys in my band at the time liked the tone better than my regular Fender basses with single-coils. :eek:

5. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

I've owned a couple of Steinberger guitars over the years - never bonded with them. Currently, there is an 80s Steinberger L2 at my local Sam Ash (complete with original Steinberger strap). I played it for a while, releasing my inner 80s Geddy Lee and Dan K. Brown. Big, beefy neck that stays where you put it.

For $2,000US, I still wasn't feeling it.

6. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Shoulda coulda bought an original L2 15-20 yrs ago. They go for fairly mad money nowadays, always wanted one. They'll fit in an overhead when flying.

7. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

I did sound for a reggae band out of Kingston this summer. Rootz Underground. Great band and as a sound guy I couldn't ask for easier or more gracious clients. Bass guy had a Hohner 5 string headless. Good touring bass, fit's in an overhead... I supplied backline so he played through my GK MB-Fusion and fEarful 12.6 and 12.sub. He seemed to like it but dang ... These guys were so chill... Tough to tell if he dug it or was just being polite. Damn fine band!

8. Peltogyne

One thing I like about the newer Steinberger is it has a full sized body. I'm a big fan of headless, not much of a fan of bodyless or even graphite.

[​IMG]

9. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

Been there;done that but it's just not my thing. Nothing against short scale.

10. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Robbie Shakespeare, Flabba Holt, lotta reggae guys used the original Steinbergers.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I much prefer the Kubicki Ex Factor to those body-less wonders.

[​IMG]

12. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I have been sorely tempted to try one of these, one of the better ones. You could ditch the amp, play through the PA, carry just the small bass....you would be traveling lite.

13. Peltogyne

Short scale?

14. Peltogyne

First super comfortable bass I played. And IIRC took normal strings without a silly clamp at the headstock.

15. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a headless Cort Steinberger-a-like with passive P/J p'ups, slightly different body shape that I do like playing, and I can get a pretty good thud by soloing the P p'up and dialing back the tone pot, and a jazz-esque sound by reversing the settings. The positioning is a little off, as if the whole instrument has been sifted 2-3 frets to my left, but I acclimate quickly once I start playing. It is small, but didn't quite fit in my BiLs rifle "gigbag"...was hoping to be able to sling it over my shoulder and bike to gigs.

I also have a Kubicki Ex-Factor. It is like holding a 4-string Light Saber, it still looks sooo futuristic. It isn't any heavier than my standard Rick, but all the weight is at the butt, so to speak, and pulls strangely on my shoulder in the opposite direction of every other instrument I've ever owned. Plays flawlessly, but very 'active' sounding, I just can't dial in my muddy, thuddy Jamerson tone easily.

Near as I can tell, only 3 flaws.

Funny stringing thing.
    No place on the Cort to clip a tuner...except on to the volume pot.
    They look really strange on a guy in a Classic Rock cover band doing mainly 70s covers.

I do use the Cort for rehearsals a lot, just for ease of transport.

16. Peltogyne

That's something I just can't adjust too, I need a bass with a horn that goes at least to the 13th fret if not the 12th or 11th. I just finished fixing my bodyless Hohner the other day, came out like this :)

Attached Files:

17. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Holic

I've always loved Steinies and indeed had a Status Series II when they were first released. I still have two Steinies: an XL2A and a transitional L2 lined fretless. And, yeh, they're great for Reggae and, especially, Dub.

Attached Files:

18. Peltogyne

A nice pair indeed!

19. sequencepro

sequencepro Tele-Meister

Had a hohner, wss made of wood, frets were tiny and soft and ragged on the ends, workmanship was not up to par, but it sounded great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.