Retrofitting 50s Style String Tree (Guide)

Fender_Player90

TDPRI Member
Just bought a MIM Player Series Telecaster and trying to turn it more into a vintage 50s Style Tele. It currently has the butterfly wing string tree for the first and second strings. I know the 50s had the round string guide further up near the tuning pegs. But would I be able to directly swap out the current butterfly wing one for that at the current location which is farther down nearer the nut with no ill effect?

Thanks-

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
It should be fine. I’m no luthier, I am a menace with wood tools. But I do know all of my Fenders (Ts and Strats) have the tree in slightly different positions. The main objective is a minimum break angle at the nut. I’ll note that I have one Tele without a tree. Let others weigh in but I’d do it. The round guides are cool. It might add up to 1 degree more on your angle which won’t have any negative effect.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
Amazon has the Fender Pure Vintage guides for $4.95 each if you haven't ordered any yet. I just ordered 2 on Sunday.

Fender_Player90

TDPRI Member
Yeah I ordered one from Amazon. As long as there's no ill effects of using that at the factory string tree location then its an easy mod. Makes it 1950s style even though its not exact. Still looks good though.

Last edited: