Retiring my golf bag, the end of an era

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RodeoTex, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a little zippered utility bag that I have transferred from bag to bag for many, many years. One day I opened it, and looked in there, and found a Kennedy half dollar.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Doesn't that "all about position" apply to sex, as well? ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Yes i agree! with snooker it is hard to pot let alone get position though, so i am just doing that at the moment. Also if i think about the position i miss the pots alot, but sometimes get the position by accident so maybe i will develop an instinct more, also the back spin is hard to get right as well.

Still glad you are enjoying your golf it is hot here at the moment but i am not that keen when it gets to hot now but will play.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Post of the week right there.

Toto'sDad and G.Rotten like this.
  5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Very addicting game!!! and the bag that the OP replaced is 10X better than my old one. Guess around '82 (was 25 yrs old) I worked for Cooper Bessemer, Grove City PA. and rented a room with some college kids 8 miles south in Slippery Rock. Used to get laid off 3-6 months at a time collecting max unemployment, union sub-pay, 5lb block of cheese (Ronnie blocks-from Reagan) and Butter. Plus some Off market cash, basically making more money than when employed.
    My skinny old bag contained a driver, 3 wood, the odd irons and a putter all of which were orphans donated by friends. This course was 2 miles from home.
    https://www.golfnow.com/courses/1036097-shamrock-public-golf-course-details
    Only 9 holes but really cheap to walk, alone or with friends I would sometimes play 4 times and since I was there religiously if it wasn't storming They'd usually let me play the second time free. BUT! with nary a lesson, I sucked bigtime. Usually scoring close to 50 (lucky) to 55 on a par 35 2700 yd. course. Never the less, I absolutely loved playing as much as I've always loved guitars and didn't stop 'till the job ran out and I moved back home and no longer had the extra cash to burn.
    Not to eager to start again knowing how all the New gear will make me better and I'd be blowing all that money that I could spend on stuff for Teles! Just like guitar playing, playing and practice is what will take you home.

Toto'sDad and RodeoTex like this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have never bought a golf bag. Ever. I just found old ones people leave out for the trash men. They’re usually a little worn, but still fully functional. When one gets really too busted up to use, I toss it and pick up another one.

I rarely buy balls, either. On the rare occasion I get to go play, I find several more than I lose.

I’m in no way a serious golfer, more of a goofer. Lol. So it works for me.

I also got my clubs for free. I have a buddy out in Vegas who was a golf pro at resorts for many years. The companies used to give him sets all the time. So he gave a set to me. They’re much nicer than I deserve...

nojazzhere, Toto'sDad and RodeoTex like this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

My father was a general manager for an Eaton division, and he used to do a lot of work with the Golf Pride division (also Eaton). He got a set of clubs - a good set just short of high end - including monogrammed grips. I inherited them when he passed away. Since our names are the same, it's now my name on the grips. Nice golf bag too.

Too bad I haven't played a round in 20-some years. Just a few trips to the driving range.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Around ten years ago after wearing out a few stand bags I went and splurged on a MacKenzie Walker bag.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve never golfed in my 62 years.
    It may be too late.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Never too late Bill.
    Meet you at La Cantera Wednesday?

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for the invite.
    I don’t know a putter from a tee.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Poppa’s Got A Brand New Bag...!

FB854388-0035-4DF0-AE0B-986FB424B7A4.gif

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    brookdalebill, RodeoTex and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

It's never too late!

My young son has just taken it up, and he's in his early fifties. I don't know why he never got going on it. He started years ago, even played one time with me, and then just stopped. He's got the bug now though. He's almost ready for the course. We've had several range sessions, and he now knows the basics, I think he's ready to play, he thinks he's not quite ready, I don't want to push him, cause I don't want to run him off before he gets started.

He has a great temperament which is a real plus. He has a natural draw when he hits it solid which I was thrilled about. Lots of folks would think they were hallucinating to see their ball move from right to left, instead of slicing off right over into Jones's place. He has already developed a good putting touch. I'm anxiously awaiting him to suggest we have a go at the course. I've got him at least able to get out of a bunker, and we practiced chipping this past Saturday after hitting some full shots. Range time, is altogether different from actual play, I think the sooner he plays the better.

Sounds Good and brookdalebill like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Wait don't rush me, I know what that is, it's just slipped my mind, just for a minute mind you. Lemme see where did I put that Funk and Wagnalls, ah here it is.... Oh my! :eek::eek::eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I’ve had my irons since 2005 and have only updated my driver and putter in the last couple of years.

I used to play 50 rounds a year until 2014 when I lost interest in golf and now I get out about 4-6 times a year - only to socialize with my college buddies.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

You're just in remission, you'll be back!

NewKid likes this.
  17. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

When I quit golfing a million years ago I would say that was 'the end of an error'.....I sucked!!

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

It's funny, I used to practice to get better, then I practiced to fine tune my game, now I practice so that I don't get worse, well it's not working but I tell myself it will work. Finally, I'll have to practice to keep my I suck status. I'll still be practicing though! :)

Sounds Good and boneyguy like this.
  19. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

One chap here i read once never started till he was 65 when he retired, and got loads of hole in ones and i think said he was a near scratch player and went around twice each day also.

He was still off 10 h'cap when he was over 90 years of age, and was in the paper because he had just made another hole in one and the story was told, he must of had amazing genetics though i know some have, plus no wear and tear on his back/body through previous sports either.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Played some as a kid, then picked it up again in the early '80s. Haven't played at all in over a year, and probably not more than three times in the last two. When I worked my handicap to under an eight, it wasn't as much fun anymore. I'm spending more time on more rewarding hobbies these days.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.