Retiring from gigging... (long mopey post!)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fuzzferatu, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Keep strong. Keep healthy. Best of luck, mate.

2. bangntwang

bangntwang TDPRI Member

sorry to hear about you having to let live music go. But it sounds to me you have been blessed with another gift. Run with it. Hope to see youre name on a lot of books!

3. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

It sounds like you have the right attitude and will adjust nicely. The writing gig sounds fantastic. Keep us in the loop how that is going.

Do you attend church on a regular basis? Maybe you can perform there? The added bonus is if you are in the choir loft or with the band, your proximity to the crowd is lessened too.

4. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Hey Brother,
    Sorry about your bad luck in being told to change.

What about doing festivals, outdoors shows? And yes, start making records!! Somehow get news out to all your former audients (I love the word audient referring to an audience member) that you are unable to do the live shows but have a record coming out just for them. You know, the Beatles stopped touring for the last 5 years of their career. They seemed to do all right. You can too!

God bless you, man,

Ward

5. Big John

Big John RIP

+1 fuzzferatu, it might be a 'different stage' but that don't make it any worse than the ones that have gone before, sounds like you are up for the challenge.
    I am now a COPD sufferer but not as far ahead as you but will be staring at the same thing in a few years, hopefully i'll write, draw, paint and record and be just the miserable pain in the a** i am now !!, keep at it mate.

6. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

I was bumming a second ago because i was moving my arms over my head in the kitchen and hit the fan/light and busted the sheet rock.....Bid deal

Good luck in everything you do...You're an inspiration to all of us

7. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

At least you dont have to give up TDPRI!

All the best, stay optimistic and you'll be fine, but sounds like you know that already.

8. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

That's sad news to hear Steve, but don't give up on the music! I mean, yeah you might not be able to play out but that doesn't mean you can't write (music), record, and practice at home still!! Keep throwing that Jazzmaster around and don't throw in the towel just because you can't go out and play in a club anymore...

9. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

That's a bummer, but good to hear you are looking at it positively. It's one of the main attitudes inherent in Buddhism, as I understand it....'do your best living in the moment and accept change positively when it happens'.
    I'm not a Buddhist, strictly speaking, but that does seem a healthy approach.

But keep your eye out for any musical opportunity which might come along that suits you. Gigs aren't all in clubs full of coughing and wheezing drunks...

10. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Man, I'm sorry to hear that story. Luckily you seem to take it well.
    And I agree with others here, start recording! That way you'll still have your music.

Wishing you all the best!

11. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

Now that's funny. Did you try to broker a compromise with your doctor?
    Would it be okay to gig if no one showed up? Get to work on that Foghat cover band!

But seriously, we've all got our limitations and you can either learn to embrace and even transcend them (for an extreme example, take Stephen Hawking) or be swallowed whole by them (rock stars too numerous to mention.) Neil Young's right most of the time, but it's not better to burn out than to fade away.

(At least that what we Rusters keep saying. The Out Burners are notably quiet on this subject.)

best
    Allen

12. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

+1 — it's the next-best thing to being in a band! it's easy and fun to swap tracks with your musical buds via email, and the results can be satisfying.

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

One of my top ten jokes!

By the way, fantasy is probably fun and profitable, but since you know guitars and the music business, you could easily also let some of your writing time go in that direction, fiction or nonfiction.

Speaking of personal top tens, there's a quiet little movie called Cross Creek about a writer who shifted from fantasy to something she knew about. Not a whole lot of shooting or sex, but a good flick nonetheless.

Sounds like we're living opposite lives. At 57, I look my age, but I don't feel any older than I ever did. And I'm still trying to break into music.

I noticed the suggestion above about writing music on the side, but it sounds like you might be making a clean break. Could be smart. Tell us more. Just no fun without an audience?

And be sure to give us a heads-up when you're ready to host you gear garage sale!

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

PS - I have an old friend who quit gigging because of asthma. But he missed it enough that he started gigging again, but only in no-smoke venues, with bands that were willing to stick to the smoke-free curcuit. Now he's happy again.

Any possibility of figuring out some compromises about the kinds of places you'd play or musical work you'd take?

(Don't teach little kids! They're carriers!)

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/cvn71_aircraft_carrier.jpg

15. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

Fuzzferatu, I am so sorry that you have to give up this thing you love. I hope you find a way to keep on playing. I wish you the very best in your new career. I read fantasy among other things and would look for that book but I have no title and no author's name. Regardless, I wish you luck into your sixth decade and well beyond your seventh, and eighth, and.....

16. fuzzferatu

fuzzferatu Tele-Holic

Awww shucks, guys, this means a lot to me. Running into limitations always makes one a bit glum, but then your friends cheer you up... and offer to buy your gear!

Nighthawk, the series is called The Secret World Chronicle. It's with Mercedes Lackey (who also sings... we could start an all-star filk band!). Linky in my sig. It should hit the shelves Fall 2010. I'm very excited about it, needless to say!

17. fuzzferatu

fuzzferatu Tele-Holic

Oh, and yeah, I should give myself time to set up a little home studio again. I like recording alone, though the results can be a bit... strange.

Plus gear is so cheap now, and so are computers. Once me and the missus settle into our new apartment, and I get my book advance, I'll look into getting set up again. Noise!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.