1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Retirement....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by slauson slim, Jun 7, 2017.

1. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

IMG_0698.JPG Some yard work this AM while it was cool, a few family matters dealt with, and a new assignment from my part-time job. Then a swim, a smoke and a brew....

cincyguitarplay, tery, Bob M and 11 others like this.
  2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nice! Enjoy!

3. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Looks like an ideal retirement.

4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

And then some guitar pickin' as the sun goes down. Wait, I'll be right over...

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Lovely- all my friends relatives have retired in the last two years, also all of my family.

Please make plans. Exercise, just a walk each day, have a
    dog, wife if you are lucky, get out almost every day, play music ( scientific brain studies showing PLAYING an instrument shows it lightens up the brain like a Xmas tree) . Sing in a choir. Do Yoga, meditation or Pilates. Be in daily contact with others.
    Money is another thing- study what you buy and eat, how you cook. Cook healthy- buy cheap i.e. more vegetables , less meat.
    I don't do all of the above but I try.
    Travel once a year if you can afford id it. We Aussie's love to travel as I do every year to SE Asia or Europe. Good luck and
    enjoy retirement. I'm booking a trip to Thailand ( been there)
    tomorrow, visiting a cousin in Bali on the way home.
    Enjoy as none of us know when we take our last breath. LIVE!!

Matt G, Obsessed, thegeezer and 2 others like this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Nice...Congrats
    I almost did this year..going wait to 2020 I think

7. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I've been retired for 7 years and honestly don't understand how much I have to do around the yard and house now that I put off for 30 yrs. I work a lazy 10 hr. day now. The good part is shopping with no lines, indulging in guitar playing, and being on the neighborhood day watch.

jackinjax likes this.
  8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm jealous. I'm planning to retire after one more school year. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty to do. And plenty to not do.

9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Great place to be enjoy! I did it at 1st of the year; but they
    kept calling me in every week:( finally put a stop to it:)

The to do list is long~but now it's on my time schedule!

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah 7 years for me, Gym 5 days a week great way to start the day, I help a friend in his cabinet shop once in a while, guitar, yard work but best of all is floating in the pool with a beer or wine taking a selfie and sending it to my wife at work I just don't understand why her coworkers hate me.

11. wrk2321

wrk2321 TDPRI Member

I wish I could stop working. Life dosen't dictate it, I'm just a workaholic at heart. I did apply for retirement and plan to continue to work, but instead I took survivorship benifits for 4 more years till I turn 70. And I will still continue to work.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I hear you. I think a normal retirement would kill me, and at this point in life I don't have any intention of ever risking it. Might be different if I could play guitar well enough to make a living hobby of it.

wrk2321 likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Enjoy. It is a fantastic experience to jump out of the rat race.

14. RLM69

RLM69 TDPRI Member

Slim,
    Is this really how it is? I turn 66 on Sunday. Full retirement age and believe me I'm tired! I just spent the last 3 days (14 hour days and 150 mile drive each day) to do an application review on a Kohler KDI engine for a customer that didn't pass the test. When I first saw your post I thought "You lucky MF", then I realized I could be in a similar pool like you, if I hadn't bought a new 2017 VW Golf R last Thanksgiving. So now I have to work until 70. Thank someone that I'm still in good health and can continue to work until 70. As I sit here drinking gold rum and ice tea, I have to say you are my true hero, may the drink and smoke of choice make you live a longer and easier life! I would hope that we meet someday and can raise a good toast to you achievement. Congratulations my friend!!!

15. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Congrats, I'm super jealous. I'm 34 and I'd retire yesterday if I could. I've gotta lotta grinding yet to do...

16. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

Best thing I dad after retiring was to volunteer one morning at a food bank, and one at a senior service charity delivering medical assist equipment they lend out. Makes those lazy afternoons respectable.

17. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One more year for me. I have grown to hate what I do at this point and am counting the days off like a prisoner does. Good luck to all you retirees out there-keep on picking and enjoying life!

18. custodian7138

custodian7138 TDPRI Member

I have been retired from the local school district for just over a year now... and have had no problems at all.

I walk the 3 block round trip to the community mail boxes Mon - Sat for a bit of exercise... and have enrolled in counselling to get a handle on the substance abuse that I have ignored since my teen years.

Some guitar noodling... a little puppy care... yard work... car detailing... my days are never boring.

19. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

I enjoy my job and the people I work with. It's a fairly new thing for me though. I hated it when I was out on the road doing the sales thing. Did that 20+years, and tried to get out of it for 15 of those...so it feels good now to be doing what I'm really good at, and people at work and home recognise it.

Honestly don't know what I'd do with myself retired.

20. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Retirement ain't all its cracked up to be . Its more like house arrest than anything else .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.