Retirement-Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bob M, Sep 6, 2018.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Lots of great comments.

In my late 20s I helped consolidate two plants (close a plant) because I had finish my bachelors degree, gotten some MSFT certifications and was 'out the door' already. The company was grateful for what I could do for them over those final months. I worked hard to make sure they were set up and eventually said my good byes at the new place.

The working mood for me was very different and stress was much less because I knew it was ending and I had a plan. Working in that state of mind is very different than the regular grind it out because you have to mentality.

It sounds like you want to stay on. Four days a week is nice. The extra money would be nice too, hopefully it's significant. Another two years...kind of a long time. Tough call. Good luck!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Retire as soon as you can.
    Enjoy your actual life, not your job.
    We work our entire lives so we can retire and yes it is a significant life change that many fear making.
    Some work till they die because they are programmed to not know what else to do.
    Cancel cable, eliminate expenses, pay off charge cards and auto loans and get out of work. They are killing you slowly.

I retired last April after 35 years at the company plus 6 years at two previous companies, I worked over 41 years.
    A few friends died before retiring and another worked past retirement age and died 2 months after retiring.

3. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I would retire today if I could get Miz Diane to authorize it. I have worked at enough jobs to understand that any company I work for is not looking out for me (regardless of their promises). My philosophy has always been: I work, they pay me at the end of every work period...and we're even. We owe each other nothing. Lather, rinse and repeat.

I've been with this one for 21 low-stress years, they would be very happy if I sat here and shuffled paper (electronically, of course) until the mortician's assistant wheeled me out. The guy that previously occupied my current cubicle was wheeled out on a gurney...heart-attack, he died a few weeks later (he was in his 60's). Talked to a guy in his mid 80's this morning...Korean War vet. He retired from the Army, went into gov't service, retired from there and now a contractor...same job for the past 40 yrs. He's planning on dying in his chair because he doesn't know how to do anything else. I do not want to be that guy!

We're only waiting for Miz Diane to meet the gov'ts tenure (10 yrs) requirement so she'll qualify for lifetime federal insurance (which covers both of us). Two minutes after she hits 10yrs, we're gone.

While I am looking forward to being retired, I may find a part-time job. It really depends. I have a lot of hobbies and a lot of plans for retirement...might need some extra spending-money. :D

esetter likes this.
  4. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

If you can afford to retire (you said you could) and you're ready to stop working, then retire. If you want to keep working, keep working. But retiring, like any major life transition, requires some time to adapt. I was exceedingly fortunate and did it pretty young and it was a real adjustment with a couple of slides back into part time work as a consultant. I suspect that, like most things, the older you are, the harder the adjustment is. And you're not getting any younger!

So to me it would really just come down to whether you really want to work or not. If you can retire comfortably now, is the two years worth of extra income really gonna matter that much, gonna enhance your post-retirement quality of life that much? If so, I guess it's worth thinking about. But I'd err on the side of buying time over money. Time is the only thing we get an absolutely finite amount of. So if you're ready to stop and you can do it reasonably comfortably, then stop.

5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's a very personal decision. Your company's offer has attractions. On the other hand, you're leaving them soon no matter what, and your wife is there for the long haul. My advice would be to consider her advice carefully.

School just started without me for the first time since I became a teacher. I haven't met anyone yet who's retired and said they were sorry they did it. Run into them later and they're all lighter and younger-looking. I hope I'm not the first person for whom that's not the case!

6. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Wow. This is more complicated than the simple issue it may appear to be.
    I was gonna chime in and say, this here's a coin toss for sure.
    I hated my job, but never loved it so much as when I had a 4 day work week. That being said, they can cram a lotta crap into those other 4 days... Would you be working extra long hours on your work days to allow the 4 days?
    Then, there's the "...my retirement at a whole other level".
    Money isn't everything. But there are times when it is. Ya gotta be there to spend it, and be in shape to enjoy it.... etc. etc.
    I wish I had a lot more money. I'd like to never worry about expenses coming down the road. I'd like to live at an even higher level.
    BUT I LOVE BEING RETIRED.

As I think on your situation a bit more, I'm leaning firmly toward getting out now.
    How much you like your job, or how satisfying it is, figures in, for sure. But you were telling yourself you'd go, and "...I think I can do it" doesn't sound like you're that thrilled.'
    "My wife says to retire while I can." -This is huge. Think about it. Happy Wife/Happy [retired] Life.
    You should follow the instinct and the plan you HAD -before someone called a meeting and dangled a carrot. They didn't do that for YOUR benefit.
    You really DON'T know what tomorrow brings.
    You really don't.

GO. Don't look back. Enjoy your wife, enjoy your Life, play Telecaster.

7. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm 58 and have been working a 4 day week for a year now. I'll look to move to 3 days in the near future. I've worked for the same company for 40 years and they do treat us old ones well. I've got it in mind to retire completely by the age of 62.

Retire as early as you can afford too -you never know what is around the corner.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I plan to retire someday...feet first.
    Not working at something that keeps food on the table is not an option for me.

9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

6 years into retirement Once I got past the 20 second adjustment period to being retired I don't miss work one bit.

10. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I retired early, had a plan and am very happy being retired. Volunteer work is highly recommended, as is seeing friends frequently for lunch. My job was pretty demanding and stressful.

If you keep 20 vacation days on top of your 4 day weeks AND your 4 days isn’t really 5days worth of work... I’d consider it.
    It’s very odd when the paycheck stops coming. Intellectually it’s no problem, but the old mind set of save save save is hard to overcome.

Anyway, the full pay for 80% sounds good, especially with a package and bonuses.

11. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

I haven't read all the posts but I don't think anyone has really gotten to the heart of the question.

Ask yourself, am I going to be bored to tears if every day is like Sunday? Now I have heard it said that for many, many retirees, this is exactly what happens so if this is going to happen to you, then keep on working.

But think about it. What would your life be like if every day you did only what YOU wanted to do (and of course, being in couple, that also may be compromised)? Would you basically have nothing to do or would you be so active that you wished there were a few more hours in each day?

In my case, I got to say, retired life is fantastic. I wish I had retired sooner and I often wonder 'why ever did I spend so much time working?' So if you can really afford to retire then ask yourself how life would be if every day was like Sunday?

12. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Traditional go to work to make money style work is a system that's pretty outdated. If I could figure out a way around I would. Since I haven't figured that out yet, my plan is to 1) retire the day I can, and 2) maximize skills and minimize dependency on money in order to retire sooner.

We're all different, but if its me, I retire today. Not even a two week's notice.

13. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually I turn 62 next month and am wrestling with retiring. The present plan is to retire in April. Basically, why retire for the winter? I don't see myself working at 66 or actually 63. But, it is hard to pull that trigger and I have lots of things I would like to do and I consider my time to be more valuable than more money now. I will see where it goes. I would say unless two more years adds drastically to your lifestyle go enjoy your life. I also agree a company isn't doing anything for you but for them.

A story I have heard goes like this: Good old Joe Blow has a car accident coming into work and is killed. Two managers are talking after that and say what a good job he did. Then one says can't old so and so do his job and the other agrees. Joe is past history.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I retired at 66, was asked to back after six month to help do something that was one of my responsibilities just for like a week or so. They fired my replacement the same week I came back. I've been working about 10 hours a week since. It gets a little more like what I was tired of doing each week.

Tommy Biggs and suthol like this.
  15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Almost 20 years ago, I was working at Plaza Medical Center in Fort Worth, and I was required to get to work at 5:00AM.

There was a woman in the laundry/linen department that everyone called Miss Dolly. She had started working in 1947 at aged 13 in the laundry at the old St. Joseph's hospital...in the mid-90s, when St. Joseph's was bought out and shuttered by the corporation that owned Plaza, one of the stipulations for the buyout was to create a position for Miss Dolly. My grandmother had worked in the laboratory at St. Joe's from the 1960s until she retired in 1993, and was friends with Miss Dolly...she said Dolly was always there, no matter what.

She was always there before me, and she worked straight, solid and hard for 8 to 10 hours, without complaint...

As I'd walk past her department every morning, I'd greet her and ask, "How you doin' this morning, Miss Dolly?"
    “Two more years to retirement, son!“
    As time passed, it changed...
    "18 months to retirement!“
    "One year to retirement!“
    "9 months...", etc.

She finally retired, at age 67. After cleaning other people's sheets and gowns for 56 years. They held a huge party for her, she wore her Sunday Best and presided gracefully and regally over her gathering, hugged every single person in the building before she left and went home.

She was diagnosed with cancer three months later and was dead in less than a year.

I made a vow to myself that if I was still working by that age, I'd be doing something I enjoyed. Every time I think about putting myself into major debt, I think how long it'll take to pay it off and how much I truly need it...I'm not going to work myself to the point don't get to enjoy retirement.

Retire now. Take the money and run.

RoyalBaby, RL52 and magicfingers99 like this.
  16. Driver3

Driver3 Tele-Meister

Nobody dies longing for more money...time is priceless

17. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

^That there is the truth.

I’m on the “retire now” team. There have been some eloquent and loquacious posts to support both sides; I’m not going to give you one cuz I used to write for money and it would be too much like work:cool:

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Well I have a couple of buds that retired before 60. They like it. FYI

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  19. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

So true.

I've been retired for about 6 months now, and even as somebody who retired pretty early (39) I still feel like almost every single day I spent in an office, staring at a screen filled with red and green numbers under white florescent light on the phone having conversations I didn't want to have, with the door closed most of the day, was a serious waste of a short life that should be spent seeing what the world has to offer. Now I'm going exploring with no idea where I'll end up living...just gonna grab my dog and drive until I'm intrigued and want to spend time somewhere.

It'll definitely be better than if I'd kept working at a job I grew to hate (money makes people awful, and they never, ever are satisfied they have enough) in a suburb of Los Angeles, where I don't want to live.

Sorry for the incredible run-on sentence....

dkmw and Driver3 like this.
  20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I had two jobs post-college. There's 30 people currently replacing me.

KC likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.