Retired, now going to make an attempt at building a pedal build

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Question - are there some components I could buy to have on hand to swap out to see how they affect the circuits tone ? Ex.) germanium and silicon transistors ?

I'm not sure what values would be needed, I'm sure this comes with experience, but I was thinking if I had some on hand I could swap in/out of a circuit to see how it affects the tone.

Maybe a breadboard would be good for this? Im probably getting way ahead of myself, lol but just some thoughts.

I'll buy a couple kits to start out with. :)
Just buy one kit to start with. I would recommend a Klon clone.
Aion effects has a good one: you can buy just the PCB or a complete kit.
Their paperwork includes a range of components that can be modified for different characteristics.
I fitted lead sockets for the IC's and some components ..... but to date have never modified it from standard.

robistro

TDPRI Member
So I finished my 1st pedal build! It was a learning experience for sure.
This kit was simple, I followed instructions, but wasnt happy with the order it had me soldering some of the parts. I could have routed them differently. Also, the ac jack is cheesy, it wont tighten.

Other than that I cant really complain with how the pedal sounds! and was a success! no smoke when plugged in for the first time!

Im ready for another build or a few.

Attachments

• IMG-4542.PNG
    IMG-4542.PNG
    390.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-4544.jpg
    IMG-4544.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 43

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Point to point - it looks like it came together nicely!

I'm sure you mean the DC jack - not AC

A suggestion on those DC jacks and their cheesy plastic threads - don't put a nut on the outside, instead just use a washer and nut on the inside - that'll give you a little bit more "good" threads for the inside nut to bite into

I've noticed that those cheesy plastic threads taper down to nothing when you get towards the end, and they strip-out if you look too hard at them ;)

I ended up buying some better metal DC jacks to replace those chintzy plastic ones that StewMac supplies with their kits

robistro

TDPRI Member
See what you all did to me ?! lol
A fuzz and a boost pedal. I may never buy another pedal again, these sound great!

Still learning and haven't made it from breadboard to enclosure yet, but I'll get there. Still having problems understanding schematics and wiring the switches, but I'll get there. This is all a new hobby to me.

Attachments

• IMG-4672.jpg
    IMG-4672.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 30

ficelles

Tele-Holic
I've built some great pedals using PCBs from PedalPCB, MusicPCB, DeadEndFX, FuzzDog, Parasit Studio to name a few. I really got the bug in lockdown and ended up with a crazy number of pedals, most of which I managed to sell on Reverb this year to my surprise. The best thing was building clones of cult pedals which sell for more than I could ever justify spending, like Lovetone or Schumann. It's a fun rabbit hole to go down.

IMG_2776.jpeg

Last edited:

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
A fuzz and a boost pedal. I may never buy another pedal again, these sound great!

Still learning and haven't made it from breadboard to enclosure yet, but I'll get there. Still having problems understanding schematics and wiring the switches, but I'll get there. This is all a new hobby to me.
and that is not all, think about making your own graphics!

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
building a pedal, is like a gateway drug, be careful, you may end up going full geek, pocket protector, slide rule , and horn rimmed glasses, and spend weekends reading component white papers…..
you have been warned. Muhahaha

6E1F81C4-B8A9-4EAB-9FA9-4F6C9902F5E4.jpeg

mjcyates

Tele-Holic
Another vote for AionFx. Their projects are great. I normally build pedals from scratch but I like building their kits just for therapy.

Last edited:

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted

Seeing this makes me believe you're going be good at pedal building. If you're breadboarding right from the start you're way ahead of the curve!

robistro

TDPRI Member
Seeing this makes me believe you're going be good at pedal building. If you're breadboarding right from the start you're way ahead of the curve!

Thanks for the encouragement!
once I understand what each component is doing I'll have a better understanding of what to modify on the boards. I could also probably use better components, but I figured what I have is a good start.

No oscilloscope, so I dont know what the pedals are doing as far as clipping. I adjusted them by ear.

I did modify the pedals I built, trying different resistors and transistors for the fuzz and I did bias it. I got both pedals to where I think they sounds best through my amp.

Now I need to put them in a box and lend them out to get some feedback on how they sound.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
A good meter is helpful. It can be hard to read the value on tiny components. My eyesight isn't great and I always double-check values with the meter before soldering them in.