1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Resurrecting an Epi LP

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rhythmjones, Sep 21, 2014.

1. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

My friend gave me his old Epi Les Paul. The fingerboard was separating, and he raided all the hardware to put on his Hamer. He said if I wanted to try and bring it back to life, I could have it. He has a vintage Gibson LP now and, with the damage, this has little resale value. But I'm going to have a go at rehabbing it.

[​IMG]

It sat around my house for a few months while I decided what to do with it. I was thinking Goldtop with PAFs. But that wasn't inspiring me. Then I saw a pair of Surf 90s for cheap on eBay, and that got my head spinning. Sparkle-top Surf Paul sounds right up my ally!

[​IMG]

I glued the fingerboard, clamped it and let it set overnight. It's totally solid now.

[​IMG]

Putty in the cracks.

[​IMG]

The aforementioned Surf 90s.

[​IMG]

I'm going to use higher quality electronics and hardware than what came on it. Now my only question is what color of sparkle/flake paint to do the top in?

We'll see how it turns out.

2. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Regarding the putty, did the neck get knocked or something? You might wanna do some reinforcing there if that's the case.

3. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Went with Candy Apple Red top with Almond back and sides. White trim. Here's quick mock-up.

[​IMG]

Should have it finished this week, if I have time to work on it.

4. TelekineticBoss

TelekineticBoss Tele-Holic

I love that color combo! I have never seen that on a LP. Hope it works out good for you!

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

This^^^^^^^ I've seen quite a few Epi's with a failed joint in that area because of poor glue. Should be filling those cracks with glue instead of putty.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.