Restringing Question

Archtops

Tele-Holic
If I don't go one at a time, half the time I end up with strings in the wrong order...
Let’s say it’s a bit confusing which string is which when replacing your strings. The B and E for example, can be held up together at 10” from the ball ends. The string that dips lower will be the high E string.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Let’s say it’s a bit confusing which string is which when replacing your strings. The B and E for example, can be held up together at 10” from the ball ends. The string that dips lower will be the high E string.

That's another nice thing about Daddario strings - their barrels are color-coded :).

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
I change one at a time, only because I stuff the old string into the pouch the new string came out of. It doesn't matter one way or the other.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
I take them all off, then clean and treat the fretboard (if rosewood), then restring.
I've never experienced any issues. The strings are only flexing the neck by 1mm or less.

Mind you, if we were discussing a piano ..... with the tons of pressure on the frame .......

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
In any event, this makes stringing much more enjoyable. Made for me by Frank Ford.

FA4C2045-B92D-4567-8B15-5BA2223EA24A_1_105_c.jpeg

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I often do one or two at a time. If fretboard needs a deep clean then take them all off.
-Remove a string, replace it.
-Tighten to approximate pitch
-Do the rest of the strings.
-Pull each string up using two or three fingers with a small jerk, dont go overboard.
-Now Tune all to pitch.
-Now pull them well again.
-Final tune to pitch.

This is pretty much my practice. I don’t polish the frets and stuff every time I change strings, so I am just in the habit of one at a time unless the fretboard really needs some attention.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
I remove them and replace them all at once, cutting them after slackening the strings. With the guitar laying flat with its neck supported, and I don't move it around until the new strings are on and up to tension.

Great points further up the thread about floating bridges and slot heads that I've never developed organized thinking about but ... they're right on. They apply also somewhat to a Gibson bridges, saddles and tailpieces too, which are held on by string tension and can fall off or slip out and ding the finish, lose intonation, get lost permanently, etc. A little tape to keep them in place temporarily is well worth it.

I also save the ball-ends of the old strings in a jar, they can be useful sometimes.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
For a quick string change I do them one at a time. If I'm going to clean and condition the fingerboard at the same time I remove all of them.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
IMO, It doesn’t matter on an electric half as much as it matters on an acoustic. I find it difficult to clean the tailpiece & under the strings when they are in place, and I prefer to oil the fingerboard sans strings.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This is one of the great things @ Telecasters. They're rugged and reliable and forgiving enough to stand up to years of abuse and stay in tune. It's always a good idea to clean up the fretboard, and oil it some if it's rosewood or ebony. And I use the Dr. Duck's Axe Wax and String Lube on a rag to wipe down the strings every so often to keep them free of corrosion caused by chemicals in sweat. And to remove booger buildup.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
One at a time guy here. That way I'm not tempted clean off the relicing scum.

LOL! I'm also a one-at-a-time guy. I only strip and clean a guitar if it really gets gross, maybe every 5-10 years.

magicfingers99

Friend of Leo's
The only guitars that should be restrung one at a time are floating bridges where you don't want the bridge to fall off or shift its location (archtops, mandolins, violins.....). I make it a point to take all the strings off and clean the frets and fretboard each time I restring all my guitars - acoustics, electrics, whatever.

i usually put archtops with floating bridges in a bathtub full of water when changing strings so I can test the floating ability and make sure the bridge doesn't need to be sent to a ship yard for bouyancy calibation.

pro tip. may not apply if you only use your guitar once a month and change strings every other leap year.

Renown

Tele-Meister
Electric or acoustic, it's fine to take all the strings off, just don't leave them off for weeks.

Some guitar lore descends from violins, where it can be a problem to take all the strings off at once because the reduced tension on the top can cause the soundpost to fall. Not an issue with guitars.

Don't leave strings off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 7.25.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 7.25.53 AM.png
    552.6 KB · Views: 24