Restoring one of the wine crate guitars I made in my teens.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2003
Posts
17,530
Age
46
Location
The Netherlands
A family shot

DSC03099.JPG
 

bobb98

NEW MEMBER!
Joined
Apr 7, 2019
Posts
1
Age
62
Location
Westchester
Well, here's a little update.
View attachment 974970
Just after I routed the neck pocket.
View attachment 974971
Fits like a glove.

Time to take out the drill, my screwdriver and the glue and put that bugger in there.
View attachment 974966
View attachment 974959
I said the neck was bowed, well, turns out it's bowed sideways as well, it's boomerang. But that isn't the biggest issue.
View attachment 974958
Measuring up the scale length means that the bridge will have to be at the very bottom end of the body, which means that my self-made string anchor had to go.
View attachment 974960
View attachment 974962

Mind you, seeing as how unplayable that neck is, having pitch perfect intonation is not an issue here.
View attachment 974978
Three strings, a slide and the truth.
Well, being that you are making a silk purse from a sow's ear, and doing a great job, my suggestion is that you remove the fingerboard, plane the neck straight, and put on a new fingerboard.

Then you can refret to match the proper scale length rather than move the bridge to match the fret placements as they are.

Guitar intonation issue solved, and probably a few more other issues as well.
 

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Joined
Jan 24, 2022
Posts
1,089
Age
13
Location
Muskegon MI
I hope your guitar playing ability is better than your building/restoring talents. That sure is a lot of effort, not only shop time, but all the postings and pics, to go through just to have it fulfill its original purpose and I hope it's destiny, firewood.
What an encouraging comment, I hope not all of your posts are like this. Op, I love the guitar!
 

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2003
Posts
17,530
Age
46
Location
The Netherlands
Well, when installing the under saddle piezo and drilling a hole for the output, I came across a very nasty drill bit damaging surprise.

The nails used to clamp the box together, extended a full inch and a half into the plank. Needless to say, when I found out, the drill bit took quite a hit from the obtrusion. I had to remove that nail before I could finish the instalment of the output.
DSC03100.JPG

Here you can see that the top is actually the lid of the box. But with the two hefty blocks I glued in there, it's safe to say it'll never be coming off again.
DSC03101.JPG

Those holes near the tailpiece were to situate the output where I initially envisioned it going as a teen. The one above the tailpiece was drilled before I realized that I had the lid upside down. The two situated right next to each other came from me putting the one on the left too close to the body's edge to actually put the jack in there.

Ah yeah, me being the dumb A-technical teenager I was in those days. I'm pretty sure the 19-year-old me would have been impressed with the solutions my 45-year-old me came up with.

And yeah, plugging it in, revealed that everything works.
 




New Posts

Top