Restore or Mojo??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by pinchegil, Jul 13, 2021.

1. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’d just play it!

I had the exact same guitar as the OP except still in P-90 form.
    Lots to love about it but I really didn’t like the finish. It wears off so easily and has a rough feel.
    I hit the back of the neck with steel wool and refinished it with tru oil.
    I kept it for a while and played a few gigs with it.
    Sold it in a big gear purge 4-5 years ago.

pinchegil likes this.
  2. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I prefer P90s but with your guitar I would leave as is and enjoy it's uniqueness.

pinchegil likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Ouch, it got chiseled. I wouldn't have bought it.

pinchegil likes this.
  4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

I'd want the P90s back, but I'd leave the tuners as is. Beautiful guitar either way though!

pinchegil likes this.
  5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I’d personally get it as clean and close to new as possible without too much other than cleaning and care. I had been considering one (till I found the blue guy.)
    Check this… at first I thought, “a PRS in 1976?”
    Enjoy and congrats.

pinchegil likes this.
  6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I'm in the leave as is camp.

No need to throw any more money into that guitar.

It will never increase in value,and anymore money you put into the guitar will be lost if you ever have to sell it.

Enjoy it as is.

pinchegil likes this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Plenty of HB-sized P-90 options out there...

Those early aughts Specials are pretty cool guitars. I just took mine out of storage last week and realized how much I missed it. Mine's an '03.

[​IMG]

- D

pinchegil and DrBGood like this.
  8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I saw that guitar up close at the Play It Loud exhibit...pretty cool paint job.

DSC_0414.jpg

DSC_0417.jpg

- D

basher, Wally, Zepfan and 4 others like this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Put a whammy bar on it and an STP sticker and chrome skull knobs and dime everything.

pinchegil likes this.
  10. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There is no restoring it to "original" that would make it worth more. That ship has sailed. I would only "restore" it if indeed that is what YOU want to do.

Wally and pinchegil like this.
  11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

To answer the OP question: If you love the way the HBs sound, why change them? If you don't love them, change them. If the neck doesn't dive with those lead-weight Grovers, leave them. :D

posttoastie likes this.
  12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You aren’t playing the value of the guitar you play it because you like how it sounds. If you like how it sounds leave it alone if not change it.

pinchegil likes this.
  13. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear, I am only talking pickups, and possibly tuners, the body is what they called thin skin which was meant to wear, I would leave that. I don't buy any guitars thinking they will increase in value, but I am in this for less than a used mim strat

14. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Holic

I would play it as is, that's a very cool guitar as it stands. I want it. If it has mojo as is then you have a new tool in your box. I suspect most of us have bought axes without mojo and found them less than inspiring.

Some of us see guitars as tools, a means to an end, differing in inspirational influence and tone. Others see guitars as a collector would, or as dollar signs. Both are valid.

I am in the former camp. I also feel that not everything of value in life is always necessarily linked transactional thinking/resale. If you enjoy working on your guitars perhaps it would be worth it to you to try different pickups and tuners.

pinchegil and StrangerNY like this.
  15. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I wanted dual P90's in my guitar, but all I could find was dual HB's so: upload_2021-7-13_15-57-43.jpeg SD PRails and Triple Shot Rings. These pickups are fantastic in HB series or parallel options and Great P90 tones. The rail pickup by itself is anemic, but paired with the rail from the other pickup it's like a Strat sized HB or pair with a P90/94 from the other pickup for some OOP Teleish tones. These pickups are worth the money. The rings are expensive and a bit flimsy IMO, but they make wiring and switching easy.

G.Rotten and pinchegil like this.
  16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The tuners are better than what came on the guitar…leave them. If you like the pickups, play them. If you don’t, there are options in humbucker sized p-ups. Player grade guitar…..as it was stock, imho. Set it up and play it. +1 with any money except for pickups and wiring is a waste of money.

pinchegil likes this.
  17. Wally

that one can be fixed, but one would have to be thoughtful about the repair in order to make it a stable guitar. These double cutaway, two pickup Gibsons like this have ALWAYS been weak in that area.

pinchegil and G.Rotten like this.
  18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

The guy I bought it from dropped it when the strap slipped off. It was the tuner post that hit and there was no damage on that end but the neck broke off.

He had it "repaired" but later the guitar just folded in half while doing a show.

When I really got looking at it there was a pretty thick layer of glue on the side of the neck that didn't tear out the body wood. Obviously the glue was just filling in a gap and there was not proper contact between the neck and body on both sides.

Wally likes this.
  19. Wally

In that case, one would want to know what glue was used in the repair. The choice of glue can complicate future repairs. And….a proper repair of that break would entail something more than simply gluing two pieces of wood back together. One would want to devise an approach that would assure that the repair could not reoccur.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.