Restoration recommendations

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Csguitars, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Csguitars

Csguitars TDPRI Member

I just picked up a 1973 tele custom. I got it pretty cheap due to the fact that some one decided to mod it with a gibson tailpiece and bridge. Along with an added switch in the in the pick guard. I'd like to restore this guitar to what it should be but it's above my pay grade. The holes for the gibson bridge need filled and the string through holes need redrilled. Can anyone recommend a place to have this done along with a refinish? I'm sure it will need one to cover the wood work. Thanks in advance for the help. I just joined 5 minutes ago and I'm looking forward to getting the knowledge you all have.

2. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard! This is the place to ask, if anyone would know it's the members here.
    This is the best resource of guitar knowledge available anywhere. Where are you located?

3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

...& we need piCs!

4. Csguitars

Csguitars TDPRI Member

I'm in New Jersey between NYC and Philadelphia. But I'm willing to send it anywhere if I have to. I bought the guitar yesterday for 850 in Chicago I fly home today and the guitar is being shipped and should be there Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll post pics ASAP. I only paid 850 for it!

5. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Wow nice, killer deal! I'm afraid I don't know anyone up in that area but I'm sure someone here will. Good luck with that find!

6. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Check out Joe Riggio - Service Guitar Repair

Joe Riggio kind of specializes in restoring vintage electric guitars (especially Fenders). He's on the other side of the country from you but check out his web site and see what you think. He has a few of his restorations documented there. He does amazing work:
    http://serviceguitarrepair.com/category/restorations/

Congratulations on a cool score!

7. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

8. Csguitars

Csguitars TDPRI Member

Thank you, I will check the both out.

9. wunderaj

wunderaj Tele-Meister

10. Csguitars

Csguitars TDPRI Member

Some pics of the beast

Attached Files:

11. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Doing this to it...which it might have been in the past... could be one option!

[​IMG]

12. jeff mercer

jeff mercer TDPRI Member

+ 1 with Ron,

Chris, you said in your OP that the 'string-thru holes need redrilling'. If there are no holes, that's because it came with a stock Bigsby as original hardware, like the pic Ron posted..you can see the mounting holes low on the body.

There's the possibility that re-installing a Bigsby may even cover the holes left by the stop tail-piece..hard to tell from just the pic.

Sweet axe..let us know how you go !
    Best,
    Jeff.

13. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

Yeah, looks like one if the previous owners didn't like the Bigsby and the simplest solution for him was putting the tail piece on.

I have to say I like it, looks fairly unique in a slightly brutal way.

I'd keep it. Or put a Bigsby back on. Or if your harking after an ashtray bridge put a top-loader on, you don't want to be hacking any more holes in it.

14. Csguitars

Csguitars TDPRI Member

I didn't take any pics of the back but I can see where the holes for the string thru would be. I don't imagine they would be there if it came with a bigsby stock. But the bigsby idea might be the way to go.

15. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Either way...it's a good grab for $850. That's not really a lot of restoration work, so I wouldn't think it would set you back a tremendous amount. It does look like it was a Bigsby model, originally, so that might be the best way to go. I might go with a string-through mod, if it were me. Doesn't matter which, that's a nice Tele. Congrats on a nice score.

16. Csguitars

Csguitars TDPRI Member

Pics of the back

Attached Files:

17. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

No bigsby bigsby no bigsby

It seems his guitar came out first as a regular Telecaster Custom with regular bridge with strings going through the body. Then somebody set a bigsby and filled the holes, then next owner or the same changing of mind took the bigsby away but kept the bigsby bridge and find an easy way to set the strings according to that. If you like bigsby, getting back to it is the easiest to do and it will hide most of the damage. If you want it back to regular custom, then it'll look like having been fired by a machine gun and a complete refin will be needed.

18. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Just a thought about the Telecaster Custom inspired by this discussion. I always wondered why the Telecaster Custom Pickguard had this opened shape on the sides of the bridge. I just realized the reason : it has been designed to allow to set a Bigsby bridge too. Funny.

19. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think it looks pretty cool as is.:cool:

20. Csguitars

Csguitars TDPRI Member

Does anyone know what the value would be if I restore the guitar and refinish it? Or would it stay on the lower side because of all the work done to it? Just curious, the guitar plays great and I have no plans to part with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.