Restoration or Repair?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by David Barnett, Jun 15, 2021.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

wrathfuldeity, rjtwangs and hepular like this.
  2. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

at the risk of something or other, i appreciate her making no attempt to 'hide' or otherwise kow-tow to the "it has to look original" collector crowd.

1st. the extra effort & time spent doing that, is, afaic, a waste of time and money that serves no functional purpose and really isn't aesthetically justified.
    2nd. it introduces the possibility of extra error & makes it impossible to visually inspect the replaced caps.
    3rd. personally, i want to be able to see what's been done.

finally, in a couple of other videos, she's risked commenter ire by NOT replacing caps because they tested fine & the client wanted them to stay in.

3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Semantics I suppose. Restored to working condition would be OK. I would say *repaired*. Restored to original condition would not be appropriate.

Curious, the PI plate resistors were changed. The resistance could have been checked where they sat.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I tend to agree. I do appreciate the aesthetics of the "looks original" jobs, but I also respect that she had the balls to do an honest "meatball surgery" repair on an antique to make it playable, with some actual troubleshooting chops instead of wholesale parts replacement.

hepular likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.