Rest In Peace Joel D. Terry

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Johnny Isaacs, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

Hello friends, old and new. While I don’t know some of you on here, I’d like to get on here at the request of my friends wife and share some sad news with you all.

While many of you don’t know me, I joined the TDP in 1997, then the TDPRI in 2003 when it was newly launched from Paul Green. I met one of the dearest friends of my life on here and we became life long friends. This is a post I made on my Facebook page and his wife asked if I’d share it here.

Life is very hard. While many seem to make it look easy and somehow seem to glide through life carefree, there’s probably a side you haven’t seen before. I’d like to take a few moments and talk about my friend Joel D. Terry who left this world today.

Joel was hands down, the funniest guy I ever met. I first became aquatinted with him on a website called the Telecaster Discussion Page, then renamed the Telecaster Discussion Page Reissue or TDPRI for short. We quickly found we had a lot in common and would email each other often. At the time I was living in San Antonio Texas and Joel was living here in Tennessee.

We both loved Fender’s and had a fascination with old Country Music, graveyards, history and a million other things. A very important piece of our puzzle was our friend Jimmy James Calvin Wilsey - or Jimmy as we all called him. The King of Slow. Me and Joel loved Chris Isaak’s music and both agreed that the Jimmy era was the best.

A few years later, I moved to Las Vegas and we met up with Joel at Jimmy’s house in Los Angeles. That’s where this picture was taken. It was such a great time and a few years later we did it all over again. Joel and Jimmy were very close. We all were.

Jimmy lost his life on Christmas Eve in 2018. The first phone call I made was to Joel and we talked about it, both of us devastated. I had just moved to Nashville and was in Indiana visiting family for Christmas. Joel and myself were and are very protective of Jimmy and his legacy. You see it’s not always about the end of ones life - that’s just a moment - it’s about the life lived and what good was brought into the world by living ones life.

I will have trouble looking at this picture the same way, Jimmy on my right and Joel on my left.

If you were friends with Joel, congratulations because he was the nicest guy I ever met. He cared - deeply - for his friends and especially his family. I will miss his hilarious posts, observations and random messages he would send me. I will miss my friend. Please keep his wife Sherrye in your thoughts and his brothers and family who I’m sure are suffering tonight. Life is short. Try to be decent. Do your best to be kind. Pause before you say or post something hateful.

Until we meet again...

Johnny Isaacs

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    rand z, tele-rain, Teletwang and 35 others like this.
  2. Johnny Isaacs

RIP Joel D Terry

Attached Files:

slauson slim, Teletwang, tery and 6 others like this.
  3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Oh no!

That is horrible news.

Thank you for sharing.

RIP Joel

Johnny Isaacs likes this.
  4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I’m sorry for your loss.

My condolences to Joel’s family and friends.

Thank you for letting us know.

Geoff

5. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I only knew Joel from here at TDPRI, but I considered him an online friend.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Johnny Isaacs and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

RIP Joel.

Johnny Isaacs and Buckocaster51 like this.
  7. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I recall always enjoying Joel's humour and very apparent intelligence in his posts. RIP Joel.

ROADMAN, JayFreddy and Johnny Isaacs like this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Johnny, that's just the most awful news.

I am so sorry to hear this.

I remember reading this Board a couple times, distracted by life and just wondering if I could fit in, but I began reading Joel's posts and I just knew I had to reach out and be a part of this community; the birth and early gestation of TDPRI was so dependent on the incredible, once in a lifetime wit of Joel.

And this engine called TDPRI has carried on and on because it was primed by Joel (and he'd check in on us, now and again).

I knew some of you were pretty close to Joel. Man, how I envied those of you (you know who you are!)

On a day, when the world seems to be consumed with fever, I guess this kind of profoundly crummy news fits right in.

But, thank you for your friendship to Joel, and for letting us know he'd found a better gig at the next venue down the road.

9. Johnny Isaacs

He was really a special guy. Thanks for your words.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted

So sad to hear about Joel passing on in such an heartbreaking post . One can feel the love and friendship you’ve felt for Joel and Jimmy as well . Stay strong , you‘er not alone
    RIP Joel D Terry

11. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

This is awful, awful news to wake up to. I can't believe this has happened.

Johnny Isaacs, Tony474 and TeleTown like this.
  12. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Funniest guy ever...

because he was unique.

Even his avatar of Jesus getting a haircut by Floyd the barber (Andy Griffith) made me smile.

Vaya Con Dios, Joel.

13. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Sad to hear that.
    RIP

14. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Very, very sad news indeed. I knew Joel here on TDPRI and later also as a Facebook friend. We seemed to have much in common, and his humour, wit and insight were unsurpassed. Deepest condolences to all his friends and family.

Johnny Isaacs and jhundt like this.
  15. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Johnny I can't write anything about Joel that You haven't already written and beautifully too.
    Joel Terry was a Great Guy. The Best.

I can't write anymore today...maybe Tomorrow.
    I just think I need to go for a walk now.
    -stan

16. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Oh no. Oh man.

I called Joel a while back and we had lunch... just to catch up. That must have been in July or August?? He had played bass in my band years ago and lovingly referred to me as his "comrade in arms".

I'm speechless. I need to reach out to his wife... but I'm stuck out of town right now.

I will say this - I never met a more honest, gracious person in life. Additionally, he was genius-level intellect, and one of the sharpest senses of humor I've ever known.

Crap.

17. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

He was one of my favorite people here. And, by all accounts, a great person to know in real life too. Way too young. He will be missed. RIP, Joel.

Johnny Isaacs and Tony474 like this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

We all loved Joel. I am so very sorry to hear this news, but I deeply appreciate you sharing with us Johnny.

19. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Just a testimony to his Joel’s kindness... If Joel disagreed with you as a friend, you probably never knew it. He valued friendship more than the internal need to be “right”.

Johnny Isaacs, PraiseCaster and elihu like this.
  20. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Thanks for sharing your kind testimony about Joel. His wit, kindness and intelligence always shined through in his posts here on the TDPRI. My condolences.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.