Resonators!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Flaneur, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Cones are like electric guitar pickups, they can make a very big difference to the tone. I don't know what kind of cone that Johnson has, but some of the older Chinese ones were really clunky, eh The Epi Biscuit I once had, and putting in a National Resophonic cone made a big improvement. OTOH, the Miniolian pictured above has a Continental cone, and I'm happy with how it sounds as-is.

2. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

About a decade ago or so the folks I worked with got together for my birthday and gave me a gift certificate to a music store not called Guitar Center. Where I picked up an Epiphone Biscuit. It plays well enough, but I've long thought it needed an upgrade in the cone department, it just seems dull as far as sound goes. After this thread maybe it's time to take action, maybe that would inspire me to work on my slide playing which needs a lot of work. Biscuit.jpg

Omiewise65 likes this.
  3. Steve NB

Steve NB Tele-Meister

My first foray into resonators; Recently acquired Alcivar I'm told is at least 20 years old.

hjil.jpg

4. Tony Done

I had an Epi Biscuit, almost 20 years a go. A new cone made a big difference, but as I mentioned before, cones in Asian-made resos might have improved since then. I have only used the National Resophonic versions as replacements.

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

How did I miss this owner's club?
    Here's a shot of my Republic "Clarksdale Special" - in an Antique Steel finish.
    Definitely one of the coolest guitars I've ever owned. Love it!
    ClarksdaleSpecial.JPG

Obsessed likes this.
  6. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

My two Nationals, a Polychrome Steel Tricone and a Model D. They are so sweet. Just a joy to play. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alex W likes this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had the resonator bug in about 2000. I found a 1930s National round neck with the palm trees on the back at the acoustic music store in Takoma Park, Maryland.
    I recently sold it on consignment at Jensen's Music in Santa Barbara. I had tried a ton of them and this one had "the sound". It was really something.
    But truth of the matter is that I was playing it a few hours a year at best-- it was a closet classic. I finally decided to let it go to a good home where it
    would get more use. Even after the consignment fees I came out a little bit ahead, although the buyer probably got it a little bit below current market value.
    I miss the guitar a little bit but still feel OK about it. This is part of a fairly long effort to thin the herd. It takes a long time and having emotional attachments makes
    it harder. In the cold practical light of day selling it made total sense, but then again there is a little twinge of regret.....

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Sweet. I'm still looking for my first reso. The beat up Republic Hwy 61 that I tried is the one I like the best out of about 15 different resos I've played, but I'd love to try the Clarksdale.

9. Tony Done

I've probably mentioned this before, but I've got a Republic Miniolian. It sounds terrific, and the neck angle is good enough to get a nice low action. However, the soundwell started falling apart after about a year. Luckily I spotted it before it disintegrated completely. This wouldn't be a problem on the metal bodies, but buyer beware.

10. Obsessed

Thanks for the warning. The Hwy 61 had a fret board falling apart like I have never seen on rosewood considering it was only 3 years old, but I can only imagine what kind of abuse the dorm life in Montana can do to resos. Nevertheless, a great sound from a steel body.

11. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

I ended up building mine to get the style and quality that I wanted, as that just wasn't easily found anywhere at an 'affordable' price. I also found the process to be enjoyable DSCN0031.JPG DSCN0009.JPG , and have built several other guitars since.

tweedman2001 and Chester Burnett like this.
  12. Tony Done

I like. :)

I've been thinking about getting an electric reso for years, but, like you, the price has been off-putting.

13. Obsessed

I got to try a "local" Kochel Guitar that was a very special sounding electric reso. I'm going acoustic first, but I can see an electric in my future.

26404b65c814bd47cfa4c55ffbfc8eef.jpeg

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Gretsch Boxcar....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. SINCASTER

SINCASTER Tele-Holic

1933 Style 1 / 1934 Style 0. NATIONAL CROP SEPT rsz_national_sept_2_.jpg NATIONAL SEPT 6 .JPG

Flakey, Alex W, crossroader and 2 others like this.
  16. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

How do you like that Boxcar? I was thinking about getting a Bobtail.

17. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
  18. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

I just ordered one of these in a lefty. Never thought I would find one. Got a question for you. When you play sitting down do you find it slides off your leg because of the cutaway? I've read a couple people complaining about that, but other than that I've read nothing but good stuff about it.

19. guitarampnut

guitarampnut TDPRI Member

[​IMG]
    Washburn roundness parlor. Featherweight loud lively with wide fretboard. Playing the heck out of it for several months, and it's a pearl! Most highly recommended for a combo bottleneck and fingerpick player. Not expensive either. Got mine new, "dinged" for well under $400. The ding is tiny groove on back of headstock.

Alex W likes this.
  20. Tony Done

A handsome guitar. Parlor resos are versatile, mine is set up with nylon strings at the moment. The fretboard is wide enough and it sounds a bit like a flamenco guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.