Resonators!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Flaneur, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey thanks Tonemonkey. If I can't find one near here that is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I got on the Reso Hangout forum and seems like I've been pretty fortunate to be able to try a dozen or so (helps to travel through a music mecca like Portland). So, at least I kinda know what I'm looking for now.

Scantron81, is that an endorsement for the Honeydipper and/or a statement about tricones?

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I've got one of those!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tino7770

tino7770 TDPRI Member

Daddy Mojo in the UK

Looking to move on my DM resonator…its on the Daddy Mojo site pictured with Bono….

It plays and sounds superb

Looking for £700….cased

Attached Files:

4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

An idea for all you fingerstyle/standard tuning reso players....

I use 14s on my National, which are unforgiving, to say the least, for some styles. When I want to leave the slide in my pocket, I'll sometimes tune down a whole step and put a capo on the second fret. This lowers the action a tad and makes string bending a bit easier. Works best with a 14 fret or cutaway body, of course.

Might not work for you- but perhaps worth a 10 minute experiment?

5. Obsessed

That sounds like a great idea. I have been undecided on 12 or 14 fret for my first reso. Your solution makes it a win win.

Thanks for the tip. :D

6. tfaux

tfaux TDPRI Member

1931 National Style-O.
    A true nine pound hammer.

[​IMG]

Alex W likes this.
  7. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

8. Obsessed

That is a beauty. Not bad at 9 pounds. I have two electrics that weigh more. I would love to just try one of those.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

If this was a resonator ex-owner's club these are the pics I'd put up from the great reso-frenzy of 2001-2010. I'm shocked that I owned a Sears Duolian. Completely forgot about that one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rustbucket and Omiewise65 like this.
  10. Obsessed

Mike Eskimo, you sold them all? Wha, wha, what happened?

Which one was your favorite?

11. Mike Eskimo

I was able to own all of them because I didn't own all of them at the same time.
    Maybe 5 at once was the most.

In order of importance it was the 90 NRP Islander, one of the rolled F hole Duolians, the 31 Style O, and the the "rental blue" Collegian. NRP stole that idea and now have a poor imitation of it.

12. Mike Eskimo

I guess it's important to mention the Islander had a 30's cone in it.

I'm in good company though. Corey Harris owned THE Islander and sold it - I think - for financial reasons. So we're both ex-Islander owners. He remains the far better musician though ! :lol:

Omiewise65 likes this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got one of these

[​IMG]

No cone and it's made out of paneling and it's cool as hell

14. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Chicom copy of ?
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

15. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

'78 Dobro

This is my 1978 Dobro Model 30. The model 30 is an all steel painted body designed as a cheaper alternative to the brass body resonator Dobro was making in the 70's. It never took off as a model, but according to those who were managers of Dobro at the time it sounded as good or better than brass models. It has a 10 1/2" resonator and a biscuit cone. If was discontinued when the Dobro plant moved to Nashville under Gibson.
    My round neck resonator is in excellent condition with it's original finish. They originally were made in red, blue or gold finish. I've also heard of a brown finish but I wonder if the red was more of a brown tone. Mine is a great sounding resonator with a great neck and string height.
    Sorry about the direction of the pics, but this is new to me and I'm lucky I got them attached at all.

Attached Files:

16. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Here are two of my three. I sold my '32 Style O a short while ago.

[​IMG]

This is a Republic Miniolian converted to nylon string. The stop tailpiece dates back from an earlier mod when it was in steel string mode - a hole for a strat SC pickup. I just rotated the coverplate through 180 deg. ;) The stop tailpiece gives the higher break angle needed for nylon strings. The pickguard hides a bodgy polishing job.

[​IMG]

This my Beltona tricone. It has a mellower tone than the equivalent National Resophonic, and I use it for both slide and fingerpicking. I installed the pickup and its mounting plate, and there is an armrest, which is difficult to see, hiding a ding.

The third member of my reso family is an walnut Estralita, but I don't have a pic of it.

17. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

So, I tried to sell my reso to Guitar Center. They wouldn't buy it because the action was too high. Is there a decent way to get the action nice and low in order to sell it?

18. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

I bought this cheap and had to restore it. Nice Johnson all brass body resonator. Sounds nice. Would a upgrade in cones really help?

19. Obsessed

I don't own a reso, but I am very focused on finding one. It is typical that lots of them are set up for slide. If it is a biscuit cone, people typically whittle the "bridge" of the biscuit down or get another one to cut down (they are wood glued into some sort of hockey puck). I'm sure someone here has done it, but I have found plenty of people who want them for slide, so I don't know if you want to change that. I just tried one that I found on CL that was set up for slide and I didn't flinch about that even though I would lower it for finger pickin'. Maybe take it back to GC on a different day.

BTW, if it is a steel Republic Hwy 61, PM me immediately!:)

20. Long_Ghost

Long_Ghost Tele-Meister

Here is my Beard MA-6 reso. IMG_1265.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.