Resonators!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Flaneur, Dec 5, 2010.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

My Fender FR48

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, John, I went to YouTube to see if I could find a demo of the FR48, and lo and behold, there you were, doing your own demo. :D I liked that you were playing fingerstyle on it. That's part of what I'd like to do on a resonator, as well as slide playing.

3. bluesman07

bluesman07 TDPRI Member

I feel a little wierd about telling you guys with all the great resos that I have a cheapy. I always loved the sounds of the old blues men, so I bought a rogue (supposedly bell brass chrome) reso from musicisns friend a few years back. But I do have to say she sure does sound nice.

4. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

OK now i don't feel so bad saying I own a Regal RD30

Thankyou :)

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The (bad) Amazing Grace rendition?

(-:

I was just trying to get something going and that's what came out.

Having a reso is like having a 12 string. You can play any old campfire or favorite song and it suddenly sounds different and new. I think it's a lot of fun.

6. LGOberean

Well, thanks to both of you. I have a number of items on my wish list, and so I probably won't pull the trigger on a reso anytime soon. And if/when I do, it will be one in the under $400 range.

Is that what that was? :p :twisted:

Kidding. That impromptu fingerstyle may not have been your best work, but it was clear what you were playing, and it was enjoyable. Fingerstyle playing is a big part of what I'd like to do on a resonator.

And that is just what I'm after. In addition to learning to play slide, I'm hoping to find new renditions, new voicings of old songs in my repertoire.

7. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

First one. Recording King RM-991 Tricone. Round neck. A little too much resonator for me. I'm nervous carrying it about. Thinking of downgrading to one of those little Gretsch honeydippers.

[​IMG]

8. LGOberean

So this "downgrading" you're talking about...do you mean selling the Recording King, or just picking up a Gretsch Honeydipper in addition to?

9. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

My Epi Biscuit. Fun guitar and very cool looking, but I'm no slide player, so I sold it several years ago. All these pretty guitars here are making me think that I may have been a mistake. :(

DSC00071.jpg

10. LGOberean

I'm no slide player either, but I want to learn, and a resonator seems a natural choice for that. Plus just playing a resonator fingerstyle appeals to me.

11. scantron81

Not downgrading in quality, rather size, weight and intimidation factor. I actually sold my Tricone yesterday. I have significant scar tissue in the palm of my chord hand so playing on larger necks is difficult and quickly fatigues me. The Recording King, raspy and dreamy as it was, was too heavy on the shoulder (football injury) and the neck too thick for my hand to enjoy the experience. I'll certainly have a look at the wood body guitars and play some in person before jumping on another reso.

12. scantron81

Look into 4 string cigar box guitars for slide. I've enjoyed my little $25 CBG for 5 years. It's nothing but fun and they're easy to put together between a trip to Home Depot and Radio Shack.

13. LGOberean

An interesting idea. Looks like it'd be fun to play around with, and I'll bet the unusual/mojo factor of such an instrument would work in your favor at a gig.

asnarski likes this.
  14. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in. Just got this one from my wife as a birthday present a few weeks ago. Its a cheap Rogue Spider, but it sounds pretty good. Having a lot of fun with it.

Attached Files:

15. LGOberean

I'm actually interested in the wood body resonators. And asd I've said before, since I can't invest too much in this, the "cheap" ones that have been talked about here are encouraging to me. So I'd like to hear more about or even hear these Epis and Gretsches and Rogues and ...?

Oh, yeah, and Hohner. On the last page boyan11 posted about his Hohner resonator. I looked it up, and it's model # is HR-200CE.

[​IMG]

And boyan11, the solo on "Beatrice" using your Hohner, was that recorded with a mic or plugged in, using that guitar's mini-humbucker?

16. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

You might want to check out the Epiphone Dobro hound dog. It is a great parlour sized resonator. The laminated walnut body is very nice and resonant. The neck is super comfortable and the spider cone sounds pretty good for an affordable resonator. Keep in mind spider cones have a more mellow sound than the biscuit cones. I have the model without the pickup so I can't comment on the deluxe model and how the pickup sounds. It did need a little tweaking of the bridge to get the intonation right and the cone to not rattle. My guitar tech was really impressed with the over all quality for the price point.

17. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

I sure do love my Gretsch Alligator!
    [​IMG]

I love it even more since I put the Seymour Duncan P-Rail in it. It's my do-anything guitar. I can go from busking to a big stage rock show without stopping to change guitars.

absurdocaster, I don't doubt your Epiphone is a great instrument, but I'm a Gretsch man, and my tech had a lot of praise for this thing. He noted that they had already done things he usually does to modify budget resonators.

Oh, and it sounds fantastic, and is very loud. WAY better than any other budget resonator I tried.

Also, the Gretsch resonators are much lighter than most others, but can vary a lot. I bought mine from Sweetwater because they have individual instruments' specs listed. The 4 Alligators they had varied by over a pound, and I picked the lightest one.

For more on my Alligator, check out the thread I started when I got it:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-guitars-other-instruments/414988-alligator-biscuit-new-gretsch-day.html#post5632603

18. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I'll throw my Alligator into the mix too.

[​IMG]

Picked it up a couple weeks ago, haven't had all that much time to play around with hit, but so far so good. I did consider putting a pickup on it but I think I'll leave it as is for now.

19. LGOberean

I find this interesting. I've been looking at budget resonators, and the Hohner HR-200CE and SX model are the same, except for the headstock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

I think many of the budget resonators are made in the same factories in china. Micheal Messer's website and forum cover this topic in great detail.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.