Resonators!

Grodad

Tele-Meister
I don't know anything about resonators but have always liked the idea of one and the sound. My question is, are they only generally used for slide, blues and roots country music or can they be a general all around player for everything, say much like you would use a dreadnought for? I know you can play anything on anything but what's the general consensus on preferred use?

Just asking as I wonder how much use it would get if I got one. I do tend to dip into many styles of music 😆

Bastion Highwalk

TDPRI Member
I don't know anything about resonators but have always liked the idea of one and the sound. My question is, are they only generally used for slide, blues and roots country music or can they be a general all around player for everything, say much like you would use a dreadnought for? I know you can play anything on anything but what's the general consensus on preferred use?

Just asking as I wonder how much use it would get if I got one. I do tend to dip into many styles of music 😆
I’d say a lot of the time they’re used for slide (and set up a such) but there’s absolutely no reason they can’t be used as a dreadnaught if that’s the sound you want. I have one in open G that I do use for slide (which I play a fair bit of on all kinds of guitars anyway) but just had my tech guy lower the action so it’s easier for me to play other fingered stuff as well as slide. If that’s the sound and the actions right, there are no rules!

El Marin

Friend of Leo's
Or.......you could sell all that stuff gathering dust, thin out the heap of tweed cases and too-large amps, then buy something you really want........
View attachment 1064098

That one was mine!!!

I sold it... nice, good sound bvut too heavy

Now I have a smaller wooden one. Happy with it

CiH1Jzu.jpg

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire

Check out Bob Brozeman's stuff......:cool:

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Matt Eich sets up Mule Resonators specifically to play any style. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't go for any resonator, if you find a sound you like. It certainly works for me, though I've tweaked string gauges towards slide, and my Mule is my everyday, always within reach guitar.