Resonators!

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I've never bought direct from the States - no idea how well that works. But yes, I see your point!! Thanks very much for coming back - really appreciate it.
I've bought from the States, but only new and pre-Brexit. Once from a reputable dealer (Elderly Instruments) and twice from builders direct so the instruments started their journey in mint condition, were very well packed and arrived safely. Buying a 90 year old resonator is a bit of a gamble at the best of times though.
As far as import procedures go, it was straightforward but added around 1/3rd to the cost. Add on carriage costs, customs clearance fees and then VAT on the whole lot. How Brexit has affected the process and whether the procedure is different for used instruments I'm afraid I don't know.

If the Heathfield guitar was cheap it might be worth a look, if you have a decent repairer who knows about resonators on speed dial. But I'm dubious.

If you want a gap filling resonator, look here
Very reliable and well set up instruments.

Or talk to James at
He got me my Royall and set it up very well.

Last edited:

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
I've bought from the States, but only new and pre-Brexit. Once from a reputable dealer (Elderly Instruments) and twice from builders direct so the instruments started their journey in mint condition, were very well packed and arrived safely. Buying a 90 year old resonator is a bit of a gamble at the best of times though.
As far as import procedures go, it was straightforward but added around 1/3rd to the cost. Add on carriage costs, customs clearance fees and then VAT on the whole lot. How Brexit has affected the process and whether the procedure is different for used instruments I'm afraid I don't know.

If the Heathfield guitar was cheap it might be worth a look, if you have a decent repairer who knows about resonators on speed dial. But I'm dubious.

If you want a gap filling resonator, look here
Very reliable and well set up instruments.

Or talk to James at
He got me my Royall and set it up very well.
Oh, that's great - thanks very much - both for the import advice and the links. Wasn't familiar with either of them. Much appreciated.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Oh, that's great - thanks very much - both for the import advice and the links. Wasn't familiar with either of them. Much appreciated.
Budget resonators get varied opinions if you read through this thread. I've been fairly happy with a Gretsch Alligator and very happy with a Michael Messer and a Royall.

I totally understand the appeal of a pre-war resonator. So far I've resisted it, basically because I don't know enough about them to avoid being ripped off. I had my fingers very slightly scorched in the vintage market by an ES125 from a very reputable dealer, so I'm very wary. Though the experience ended well thanks to a good repair man. Olly Neale in Norwich. I think he'd be fine with a resonator and if not, he'd tell you.

Good luck filling that resonator gap and keep us informed!

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Not really a lesson, but some interesting thoughts.

Can anyone clarify to me the technique he talks about at 9min15sec of fretting behind the slide to get a minor chord? As far as I understand it, he's got the slide across all 6 strings lightly enough to allow the first string fretted between the slide and the nut to sound. I've been trying it and it might be just about doable, but I'm not totally convinced I've understood him right.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Can anyone clarify to me the technique he talks about at 9min15sec of fretting behind the slide to get a minor chord? As far as I understand it, he's got the slide across all 6 strings lightly enough to allow the first string fretted between the slide and the nut to sound. I've been trying it and it might be just about doable, but I'm not totally convinced I've understood him right.
I think you have understood it. It is tricky though! If you watch Sonny Landreth, you'll see his fingers fretting behind the slide all over the place. It's quite intimidating!!

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Yep, that's it. It's easier, with a high action and strong fingers, otherwise, it'll just rattle like crazy. Tuning to minor chord, will give you a similarly mournful vibe.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
- and when I say 'a high action'.......:D

IMG_20161112_141753621.jpg

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
- and I use really heavy strings, often tune down a step or more and capo a lot- so the action is a moveable feast. :D

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
How heavy is "really heavy"? I had 14s on my resonator when I last had one, tuned to open D. Of course, I'm a southern wuss so...
I have a 16-59 set, on one guitar and a 17-56 set, on another. A modern National neck is like a tree trunk- but I would use much lighter strings on smaller necks, with smaller profiles, or on vintage guitars. My Hound Dog Dobro has a 12-54 set and I'm very careful, when choosing tunings for that one. A friend of mine uses similar gauges, on his '28 Duolian.

You don't need Northern Superhands, to play 17-56s, a step or two down. Think of it like shredders, playing baritone electric guitars, with 13-72 sets. :)
Newtone do a custom Dave Arcari set, of 17-56s, which are great, for enthusiastic play, in G tunings. I'd go a bit lighter, for E/D type tunings.
With something unyeilding, like a lapsteel, the first you know you're using the wrong strings, is when you try to tune them up and a couple break, straight away.:oops: On a good Reso, you could easily strain and possibly damage the neck, before realising your mistake. Don't ask me, how I know......:rolleyes:

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
I have a 16-59 set, on one guitar and a 17-56 set, on another. A modern National neck is like a tree trunk- but I would use much lighter strings on smaller necks, with smaller profiles, or on vintage guitars. My Hound Dog Dobro has a 12-54 set and I'm very careful, when choosing tunings for that one. A friend of mine uses similar gauges, on his '28 Duolian.

You don't need Northern Superhands, to play 17-56s, a step or two down. Think of it like shredders, playing baritone electric guitars, with 13-72 sets. :)
Newtone do a custom Dave Arcari set, of 17-56s, which are great, for enthusiastic play, in G tunings. I'd go a bit lighter, for E/D type tunings.
With something unyeilding, like a lapsteel, the first you know you're using the wrong strings, is when you try to tune them up and a couple break, straight away.:oops: On a good Reso, you could easily strain and possibly damage the neck, before realising your mistake. Don't ask me, how I know......:rolleyes:
Wow. All really useful for when I get one again. Thanks for all that. Happy picking!

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry if this is a bit impertinent, but I'm looking at a resonator on ebay here in the UK. It looks like a very scruffy version of your 1934. A Dobro Model 19 maybe? Would welcome any thoughts you have, based on the photos, if you're minded. No offence taken if you're not interested. Link below...

Any other resonator aficionados want to wade in, it would be much appreciated, though I'm also conscious I don't want to hijack the thread.
1200 quid seems mighty stout for that thing, for that kinda money I'd be after a much nicer one or a better model. That said, I'm in America and assume there's alot more of them around here to choose from. What about a brand new Micheal Messer or something like that?

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Yes, that seems to be the consensus! I emailed with some queries about it and the response was pretty much a one-line take-it-or-leave-it response, so I left it. I hadn't heard of Michael Messer but someone above mentioned them so I've had a look and may very well go down that route. We're in rented accommodation at present - between houses - and most of my stuff is in store, so buying another guitar right now is difficult to justify. (Then again, that's never stopped me previously...!) You're right that older, US-made resonators appear to be much more rare here, and therefore carry a significantly higher price tag. This one, though, does look excessive. Interestingly, in the last day or so another has appeared on UK ebay, similar vintage, apparently much better condition, for about £200 less.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
New Johnson Tricone, got this one locally for a great deal and its a good'un. I already have a nice Republic Tri but i want two so i can have one with a high nut in A Hawaiian and one for regular/bottleneck stuff.
20220402_143429.jpg
ideally i would have a vintage square neck Tricone for Hawaiian style but one hasn't presented itself at the right time yet. Its cool though, I'm happy to have the one's i have, we live in a great time for reso's, when i first started wanting one they were nearly impossible to find, i had no car, there was no internet, i had a phone book! I found one place that had new OMI's and got a ride and put a Original Hound Dog on layaway, something like $600.00 with a case, it was the first one i ever saw, two years later i bought my National Duolian over the phone with a borrowed credit card from a VG ad, times have changed but i kind of miss the adventure.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
New old one on its way to me, got it as a cheap fixer upper, and i do mean cheap! Hope i don't need to post it in the turd thread when it arrives😕
Looks pretty cool in the pics....
Screenshot_2022-04-17-02-29-26-1.png
Screenshot_2022-04-17-02-29-37-1.png