Resonators!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Flaneur, Dec 5, 2010.

1. zulujos

zulujos Tele-Meister

So just for grins, I own a National Estralita Harlem Slim model, which is a model made for Fuller's Vintage Guitar in Houston. I live in Spain but my guitar loving brother-in-law is in posession of it. It will br going to Ebay in June but thought I might put some feelers out. Hasn't been played much, has a big fat neck. Great guitar, resonators turned out not to be my thing.

2. KeefRiffhard

KeefRiffhard Tele-Meister

Here is my 1929 National triolian with a bakelite neck.

Attached Files:

3. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

My $99 used Johnson.

Attached Files:

4. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

There are some great Resos here. Here's mine......National Style "O" with the MD Hotplate.

[​IMG]

Alex W likes this.
  5. Telecritter

Telecritter Tele-Meister

Here's my slide machines - National NRP and 1962 Supro Bermuda

image-1397714263.jpg

6. mudbelly

mudbelly Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Me and my Grand daughter jam. I'm playing my Johnson Reso. I've owned it for 15 years and really like it but I must admit I am really jealous of the pretty Nationals you guys got.

7. Matt Laird

Matt Laird Tele-Meister

Found this one at one of my local music stores and fell in love with it. It was on consignment for $175.00 so I grabbed it up. It is a Regal but I am not sure what year it was made. Sounds and plays great. I love it, spend a lot of time sitting just outside my garage or on the back porch smoking and playing the old reso. I find that Knob Creek Bourbon goes good with playing the reso too.:D

Regal.jpg

8. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Just got a Regal RC-3. Love it, but how do you clean the antique nickel finish.

Attached Files:

9. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

ha ha,

Funny you should mention; this weekend it was me, the regal, and a 12 yr old bottle of MacAllan scotch...

10. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Regal Squareneck, circa 2001-2. Upgraded w Quarterman cone, better bridge insert, and standard #14 spider.
    [​IMG]

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

My 1931 National Trioloan
    [​IMG]

12. jefsut

jefsut Tele-Meister

I tried the Gretsch Resonator from their Roots Collection at my local Guitar Center (the Alligator Biscuit Round) and was very impressed. Much nicer than other similarly priced or more expensive brands.

Hope to pick one up used some of these days.

13. Matt Laird

Matt Laird Tele-Meister

That is outstanding! I hope it was a great time and I know that MacAllan was excellent!

14. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

I have two but 'renewed' a pre-WWII Dobro earlier this year for a friend that had the strings resting on the resonator. The Conrad is a Del Vecchio copy and has now had StewMac tuners installed and a buffalo horn bridge saddle instead of that adjustable thingie, interesting that it has the same cover as the Tak with the 'birds head' on it. It's a Japanese guitar from the 70's. I made a new bone nut and saddles for the old Dobro and removed the brass wraps on the tip ends of the spider bridge and put a dab of plast-ti-cote on the bottoms and put on new StewMac tuners. It's an interesting Dobro because it has a long arm spider and a 'fluted' stamped resonator that would normally have a short armed spider on it, it appears to have been all original too. The fingerboard had more gunk on it than I've ever seen...the owner didn't think it would be able to be made playable. It reeks of having be played and once done is a real treasure. The Gretsch is my favorite new Bobtail, plays, sounds, records beautifully. Love the sound of a resonator guitar.

Attached Files:

15. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

on the old Dobro I used Stew Macs fretboard oil on the headstock to pull out the Dobro decal and found it worked some magic on the finish overall so it got a complete 'dousing'. The bridges were really awful, there was a piece of fretwire under both halves to try and raise them up. There were some massive dustbunnies inside too. There is a picture of the neck dowling that was used to 'readjust' the neck to the correct angle and pull the strings down. It was a real resurrection of a job. Real slow going and glad I did, it came out terrific.

Attached Files:

16. JT55

JT55 TDPRI Member

1931 Style 1:

[​IMG]

60 years later, 1991 Islander Deluxe:

[​IMG]

17. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Small and Mighty. NRP Triolian :p Ukulele!

Attached Files:

18. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

Here's my three ..............

[​IMG]

The small one is a republic highway 61 in distressed copper finish , that one is in G
    The next one is a Dean , also in distressed copper , that one is in D
    The third one is Dean , it's chrome , it's in G and has a lace sensor super thin pickup , tone and volume pots too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

asnarski likes this.
  19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

This is "BIG BONE" Johnston.

Made cheap to compete at the ol' price point.
    When it came to cutting corners, they did just that.

Still a lot of fun to play.

Attached Files:

20. Berek Halfhand

Berek Halfhand Tele-Meister

I may be falling in GAS with a Washburn R45RCE, seen here R45RCE. I never owned a resonator before, and don't play much slide, but I love the sound and I want to learn.

There is a demo of it here on the Sweetwater site. The lipstick pickup is a big drawing point for me, as well as the flamed maple.

Does anyone here have an opinion on this guitar? I was going to start a whole new thread with my question, but saw this one and figured you people would be the best to know anyway.

Thanks.
    -bh

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.