Resonators!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Flaneur, Dec 5, 2010.

1. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Happy Gretsch Alligator owner (since last June) here. I've been playing various guitars for 50 years (classical mostly recently though still love my tele) and had never wanted a resonator, never tried slide or had much time for open tunings. Well, that's all changed now.

A plug for Wunjo in Denmark St London. They have a good stock of resos and I think it's inevitable that I go back to them sometime for a National. I tried a koa Estralita when I was there and it's been in my head ever since...

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  2. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Man, sure are some nice guitars here. Never thought twice about resonators before I got mine. (Wife surprised me with it a few years ago.) I've really come to love that thing. Even though its a cheapo, it sounds so warm and nice. Makes me want another one....someday. Funny thing too, is that I'm really not that great of a slide player. But even just strumming and finger picking in alt tunings just sounds so nice.

3. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I have got one of the last of the Busker Deltas, and I love it

[​IMG]image hosting gif

Frank'n'censed, Alex W and Obsessed like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Busker Delta? Beautiful. Please tell me more.

5. Teleiac

Teleiac Tele-Meister

Here's my "34" National duolian. Had Marc Schoenberg pop the hood on it and give it a little makeover. It's the "Real" deal!

Attached Files:

Frank'n'censed and Flaneur like this.
  6. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had this short scale National custom ordered through the musician / National rep Catfish Keith. It has a German silver body and the scale length is about 22.5".

7. WingedWords

Robin Clark retired and closed down Busker Guitars last autumn. The website is still there with his story. They were sourced from a small workshop in China and set up by Robin in N Wales. Michael Messer has a similar set up and used to work closely with Robin Clark.

I've just bought a Michael Messer Lightning and I'm very happy.

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Obsessed

I've read a lot about the Messer's but I have yet to see one over here in the States. Seems like Republic does something similar and I really liked the one I tried.

9. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

6.26.16 download 001.JPG 6.26.16 download 002.JPG
    6.26.16 download 003.JPG
    My DW90. Late 90's or early 2000's I think. I've had it since 06', but doesn't get too much playtime. Pickup was installed by PO. Use mostly for country blues & hill country stomps.

Attached Files:

Flaneur likes this.
  10. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Does a reso Uke count?

Attached Files:

T-Bone and Frank'n'censed like this.
  11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

My first resonator guitar was a Hollywood from the 1930s. Not a great sounding instrument but rare. National guitar took them to court and Hollywood lost. So they didn't last too long. download.jpg

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

See post #129, buyer beware!

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

There are some real beauties in here. Thanks for posting.

Mine, is not a beauty.

Not even close.

It's an absolute dog. I saw this plywood 60s arch top in a guitar shop for £60. I was going on holiday so had no spare money. When I came back it was still there so I haggled him down to £50. A few years later the neck was completely shot and I found an old Edmond neck on eBay and bodged it on.

A few years after that I thought "I need a resonator" and, we'll, here's what happened:

[​IMG]

The cover is a mini hubcap.

Yes, I am ashamed...

WingedWords and Rustbucket like this.
  14. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

How do you come to have a Donmo? I almost bought one of his guitars years ago, but finally opted for a National.

I have a reso uke, but it has 13-36 steel strings, tuned to open A. I play slide on it, not a pleasant sound.

15. Obsessed

Yeah, thanks for the reality check. The Republic that I did get to try was a highly beat up college dormer Republic and I gotta say that the fret board had a bazaar reverse radius down by the body (otherwise, I would have bought it on the spot), but I attributed it to not paying attention to humidity, which does get into the single digits easily here summer or winter. Nevertheless, it had the tones and the feel that beats out the other 15 resos I've tried from various manufacturers including National.

16. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

To post #194
    Good eye! Long story short...found a Donmo Uke for sale on ..verb and contacted the seller, and paid. As he was packing it to ship, he found a note from the original owner he had purchased it from that said if he ever was going to get rid of it that he should resell it back to him. So he refunded my money and sold it back. I was so pissed that I contacted Don Morrison and he agreed to build me a custom rust bucket tenor Uke. Cost me less than what the Uke on ..verb was offered at. I will most likely be ordering a rust bucket guitar from Don soon! His instruments are works of art!

17. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Obsessed likes this.
  18. Obsessed

19. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Ive got a square neck...the Musicians Friend house brand dobro...costs $139....I keep it in high bass G...play a little Maui Chimes now and then...

20. WingedWords

I expect most people here are aware of the forum on Michael Messer's website. Very informative on all resonators, certainly not just the ones he sells, and some very knowledgeable people are regulars there.

MM guitars are only sold direct from him and in Canada from 12th Fret Guitars, but I think they occasionally turn up in the US. Worth a look if you see one for sale. He doesn't do a tricone model since he hasn't been able to get one sounding right at the price point he wants to sell at.

Anyone any experience of Icarus Guitars? A similar UK business to Busker and MM - built in China and fettled here. Sold through *bay. Some intriguing models at budget prices.

Pic of my MM Lightning attached.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.