Resistor value for 500k pot.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Chriss945, May 27, 2015.

1. Chriss945

Chriss945 Tele-Holic

I have put a humbucker in the neck of my tele that is just a tad too dark. I want to run it through a 500k pot for that added top end. But I want my bridge and middle pickups to still run through 250k, what value resistor would I need to use on each pickup to make them see that resistance?

Unless anyone else has any other suggestions, this is the best way round it that I can see!

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

470k or what you can find that is close to 500k

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Put resistor from the bridge wire lug of the switch to ground on volume pot.
    I started with 470k, but found that I liked mine best with a 220k.
    You can experiment with it and find what you like best.

My Nocaster sounds great with both Humbucker and bridge single coil separately and together. Very well matched with the output as well.

Attached Files:

4. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Interesting; your bridge pickup alone was 'seeing' a roughly 153k volume pot load - that would warm it a nice little bit.

5. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

6. Chriss945

Chriss945 Tele-Holic

I did think about a stacked pot, but I use my volume control all the time! 470k was what I had been recommended but I wondered if anyone had had any better results with anything else? I'll look into the 220k if I don't like the 470. How badly does it change the taper? I have a treble bleed in there as well so the taper is already messed with!

7. waparker4

The difference is about the same as turning your tone knob down a little bit.

8. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

In my experience, the treble bleed will actually smooth out any 'issue' that crops up with the resistor trickery.
    In fact, when I came up with my whacky wiring which has all kinds of this going on, adding a bleed was actually the solution for re-normalizing the taper of my volume control.

9. Chriss945

Chriss945 Tele-Holic

Ah, this fills me with a bit more confidence, thank you!

10. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Three pickups? Three volume controls. Complete control over the mix of your output: bridge 0 to 10, bucker 0 to 10, neck 0 to 10. With "dime size" pots you can fit four (actually five) pots on your control plate without even having to do any routing. Since you can turn any of them all the way off with their own volume control, you don't need a selector switch.

250, 500, 250 volume pots, then your tone. Does your bucker need a different cap value? Like I said, there's room for five.

If you think that'll be a little crowded, no problem. You can have three volume controls and tone controls for each, by using concentric pots. Here's all the controls on my Prodigy bass. Two volumes and two tones, all taking up no more real estate than the two 1" diameter outer knobs.
    102_0395.jpg

Allparts has 250k and 500k concentrics for $13.50 each, and concentric knob pairs for $9 to $16.

If the cosmetics of a pot hole drilled where the switch slot is bothers you, drill it the cover it with material matching your pick guard.

Warmoth has the inner and outer knobs separate for $7.50 per. I'm thinking black control plate, gold outer knob, silver inner knob would look hot enough to want to take it on a date.

11. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

That's the ones I'm talking about. I tend to use "stacked" for the push/pull type, where you adjust either one or the other at a time, and call these with both controls constantly available "concentrics". Keeps from getting them confused.

12. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Any pros/cons when considering a concentric pot vs. the resistor method?

13. waparker4

Same pros and cons as having 2 volume controls vs a master volume. I guess it depends on your style.

W/ 2 volumes, wired the 'standard' way, in the middle position, cutting 1 volume control to 0 cuts out all sound. Not a super big deal w/ a gtr w/ a switch, but it's there. Wiring the vols the other way so that this doesn't happen makes your controls interact w/ each other in a different way.

Master vol is just simpler imo

14. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mine had a treble bleed, I took it out.

15. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Sorry, I understood that this replaces the tone pot with the bridge wired to the 250 lugs and neck to the 500 and the existing volume pot continues to apply to both positions.

16. waparker4

The resistor method the OP is talking about is supposed to let a single coil "see" a lower value resistance when using a 500k master volume, "as if" a 250k pot were used.

The concentric pot would then be a pair of volume pots as I understand it.

You could wire up two tone controls for a tele, or you could just turn down the 500k tone control to 8/10 and you have 250k .. that's how tone controls work

17. Chriss945

Chriss945 Tele-Holic

All the advice about concentric pots is great, and it would be very versatile indeed, but I use my volume control constantly to adjust volume and tone so the concentrics would confuse the issue. Also, this is my control plate....

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1432984021.928739.jpg

Master volume
    Middle pickup volume
    Master tone
    Switch

It's current wiring is based on the Brent Mason setup, with a few tweaks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.