Resistor question for humbucker to single swap in HH...

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Gibson HH style wiring configuration with 2 vol/2 tone (tele deluxe in my case), swapping in neck single coil or P90. I don't want to change the harness and pots. As I understand the Googlez I can drop a 470k resistor in the circuit from pickup hot to ground.

1. Does this require resistor on both the tone and volume pot or just volume?

2. Where would the tone pot resistor tie into the circuit (which lug)?

basher

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I haven't done this on a two-vol/two-tone guitar, but the principle is the same. Just run the resistor from the hot lead of the neck pickup (where it attaches to the volume pot) to ground, and that's all you need to do.

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
Ah, well maybe if you switch pups a lot, messing with the tone control to darken the neck might be a pain.

You could try a cap in parallel on the neck wire as well. One leg on the switch neck pup terminal, one leg to ground.

maybe start .005µF (a value I think I had in some notes)................someone else might know if that's in a good range to try.

Last edited:

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
So ftmp, and for years, Fender uses 250K pots.......022µF tone cap........rightly so with single coils.

Gibson was (some are 300KΩ volume since '73) 500K, .022 tone cap. So my assumption is it's just easier for assembly to just have all the same, as well as buying bulk.

As a 250K tone pot, with a .047 cap functions about the same as a 500K, w/.022, talking all audio pots that is.

Last edited:

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
I'll give it a try. Trying to decide if I want to use a single coil adapter plate on my black deluxe pickguard or use what single coils are avail in humbucker housing, which outside of custom shop prices isn't much...