Resistor Organization

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jake Nelson, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Does anyone have a good way to organize resistors? Right now all I have is a big box with them all piled up and it takes a stack of time to look for what I need.

2. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Little drawers. Lots and lots of little drawers.

Really depends on your collection, it gets tricky when you have an assortment of different ratings and how easy they are to tell apart. I'd hate to put more than 1 value in the same drawer, but I mix ratings here and there. But like, all my 3W dropping resistors (maybe 10 values) are all in one big drawer.

Whatever works for ya.

King Fan and Steve 78 like this.
  3. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

download (3).jpeg

clintj, Andy B, JuneauMike and 4 others like this.
  4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Yep you can buy sets of little plastic drawers which do the trick. Sorry can't grab a photo right now.

5. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

The clear plastic organizer boxes like they make for fishing lures work well for me. Adjustable/removable dividers let you make the most out of each one. Clear plastic so you can see through. I run a couple strips of masking tape inside the lid and write down each value, and I can immediately see what is where.

Andy B, Bill Moore and Axis29 like this.
  6. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

D'tar and Axis29 like this.
  7. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I see many pros using parts drawers -- but as per the wise @D'tar and @jsnwhite619 I like bin boxes.

As Jason says, the dividers make it easy to adjust for those nice resistors that come with long straight leads. I have one for CCs, one for MFs, one for 'big' resistors, and one for caps and other linear components.

With either drawers or bins, the thing is labels. I used to use masking tape, but as we all know it becomes semi-permanent over time. I tried Post-It tape but the stickum is not very sticky. This stuff is great:

upload_2019-6-12_7-29-36.png

D'tar and Axis29 like this.
  8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm a plastic bin guy too. Although, I picked up a small organizer set, kinda like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075TV2SJB/?tag=tdpri-20

Mine is gray plastic for the outer carrier, but clear like these bins. I think i picked it up at Harbor Freight. It's a little small and I will eventually be looking for a bigger solution. It's hard to fit all the values in one bin, and the pockets of each bin are small enough that I have to bend the legs of the resistors to get them into the bin for storage. Which then makes me have to work on straightening them back out before installing in place.

Speaking of Harbor Freight (I couldnt' find the one that I have), I kinda like this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/mater...rage/multi-compartment-utility-box-40528.html

[​IMG]

But, replacement of these is way down on my list of life priorities! LOL

D'tar likes this.
  9. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I got something similar to this many years ago. It has been very helpful.

Axis29 and D'tar like this.
  10. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I have three of these plastic bin drawers dedicated to resistors:

1) 1/4 watt resistors - I only have about 20 of these since they are not used in many positions in tube amps. Mnay have been cut from tape rolls and I write the 1% values on the tape.

2) 1/2 watt resistors - Most of these are not the 1% type so the color codes are easy enough to distinguish which resistor I am looking for.

3) Power Resistors ( > 1 Watt ) - I have less of these, but because they are bigger they get their own drawer.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Plastic bins with a range of resistance in each bin. So one may be 100k-220k etc

12. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

I'm 67. I've used the 'little plastic drawer' but will no longer.
    All of my containers will stack and seal properly.

I have had drawers tip and spill. The plastic is brittle and breaks. They are a pain to move. Drawers are out.

A search for "Stackable Fishing Storage Box" yields quite a few options.
    Find a brand, (such as plano) and find the model(s) that work for you.
    They should be made of a quality, flexible plastic to withstand years of use / misuse.
    I like to have the category labeled so I can see which container to grab.

13. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I go in columns by the significant figures (Ie; 1.0, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.7, 3.0, 3.3, 3.9, 4.7, 5.1, 5.6, 6.8, 7.5, 8.2) and then in rows by powers of 10 (Ie; X1, X10, X100, X1000,... X1M)

telemnemonics and jonrpick like this.
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I simplified mine, because I try to keep everything in a fishing-tackle box.

I put them in the little boxes according to the first number. Anything that begins with 1 goes in one box. Anything that starts with 2 goes in the next box. Some of them I combined, because I don't have/need many. Like anything from 6x up goes in one box.

I can generally tell what wattage I need by looking at the size and application. The value is, of course, color-coded. I keep a chart handy because I don't trust my memory. And I check the value of each piece before I use it.

15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I've reached the point where I could use a plastic bin, but haven't done that yet. When I'm working on a build (rare) I start the process by organizing the resistors I need on a workbench and then "bin" them with my multimeter. Then I tape them to a legal pad organized by amp sections and their R-number shown on the schematic. I write their color code value and their actual measured value on the paper. So when its time to populate the board my components are basically several sheets of paper inside a manila folder.

If I have to go scrounging inside my component box for a resistor then my process has broken down. Its not perfect, but it seems to work for me. If I were an actual amp tech, my organizational skills would get me fired. Actually, I'd be fired for incompetence long before that. Ha.

Axis29 likes this.
  16. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the Ideas guys!

17. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Small zip-loc bags; 3x5" hold nearly all resistors with leads. Mark the values with a Sharpie and then order them in small box by value. That's worked for me for many years!

Nickfl and Jake Nelson like this.
  18. GARAGE HERMIT

GARAGE HERMIT Tele-Meister

just buy something like this,

DSCF0287.JPG

19. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve been collecting components for about 45 years. For resistors, I have 2 very large ziplock bags that I dump them into and another box with more bags of them. Then I see if I can eyeball the correct one. When I can’t eyeball the one I’m looking for, I dump the contents onto the kitchen counter and see if I can find the right part. This often leads me to putting an order in online.

It looks a little like this:

D68ADCEC-AE11-4EBD-971F-804915E48A2E.jpeg

I know you’re probably thinking my current method is probably as good as it gets but I’m always trying to modernize so I’ve recently taken on the task of sorting them and putting each value in a drawer with labels. I know it sounds crazy but I think it might be less time consuming.

It looks like this (I’m doing semi-conductors here but it’s the same idea). I have a wall with several of these parts drawer racks bolted to the wall. It’s definitely made life easier.

6A666C84-AF7C-4607-B85F-45E4773C38C8.jpeg

20. eslover

eslover Tele-Meister

You can use little plastic baggies - can find them at Michael's Arts and Crafts for cheap. Some masking tape and ink, then put them in a box.

Jake Nelson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.