Reshaping the Tele-master body

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Darn nice work. Very fine looking axe.

Thanks kindly. She's fun to play and fun to gaze at.

Hey Boris, I really like how it's shaping up. I also think you need to bring-in the top waist line some more. Then she'd be perfect!

I put the Dunlop strap locks on her and played her for an hour.

I'm stuck: The guitar is already sucked into my torso so tight, I cannot enlarge this tummy cut (or reduce the waist on that side) even a little bit, or the guitar is just too close in to me. I let the strap out some.

I am not gonna impair the ergonomics of playing the guitar to make her look more svelte at that one angle. In person, over all, she looks right. She may get no pickguard at all, except she'd be cool as an Esquire and I am not keen to just an empty neck rout there.

We'll see.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
What I was gonna ask was, How does it hang or balance ?
What are you thinking on finish ?

Wally

Now that the body is more cut down and another coat of grainfiller applied, it hangs really nice. Balances just right - removing the extra material was a good move. Once you add on the control plate, etc. it would've been butt heavy without both stages of wood reduction.

Couple more sandings and grain fillings. Then a couple coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish as a base coat. From there either more courses of that varnish, or else some toned and clear gloss lacquer - haven't decided for sure.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Ha-Ha!

It fits in this old but clean Kramer case that an AV52 FSR was sent to me in:

17JAN072010001.jpg

Novatuc

Tele-Meister
Very elegant shape you have come up with. Sort of like a Salvador Dali version of the Telecaster. I like it a lot. Nice work.

Jake D

Tele-Holic
I think the shape is perfect just like it is, and I think whatever shape you choose for the pickguard, it should extend at least to the volume knob. This is just my opinion, as an artist.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Very elegant shape you have come up with. Sort of like a Salvador Dali version of the Telecaster. I like it a lot. Nice work.

I take that as a compliment, a fine one. But I think Dali would push the absolute limits of practicality/playability, and make no mistake about it, this is a real playable body shape. Too early to say but this might rival a hardtail Strat in certain hands.

I think the shape is perfect just like it is, and I think whatever shape you choose for the pickguard, it should extend at least to the volume knob. This is just my opinion, as an artist.

I was thinking about a Squier 51/51 P bass control plate, and bringing the PG down into that zone and also into the area between the bridge and control plate where we see so much finish wear on so many Teles. Since the stricture of "Teleness" is lifted on this model, now is a good time to extend that pickguard down, just perhaps in a more artful way than Jimmie Page did on his Tele.

Thanks for yall's kind words.

Cavi

Tele-Meister
I like the shape, what I do not get is the pickguard, the shape is fine but why have it end flat next to the control plate, why not have it flow into the control plate?

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I like the shape, what I do not get is the pickguard, the shape is fine but why have it end flat next to the control plate, why not have it flow into the control plate?

Thanks.

The pickguard is just borrowed. The pickguard shape will be quite different than what you see. I just felt it was unreasonable to finalize the pickguard shape before I even knew what the body profile would be.

stevesz

Tele-Holic
I like it. The pickguard is cool. If you were going to mess with the pickguard any further I would suggest making it bigger, kind of like the pickguard on a telecaster bass.

I like where you've got the body length at, and a great big +1 on the strat style elbow contour. The coolest tele I ever played had that contour on it, wasn't mine unfortunately. I always thought Fender should have that as a regular option on some of the pricier series.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
How about cutting off the ear with the screw hole and glue on the pickguard?

This thing will be taken apart over and over. Thinking about #2 fasteners under the 22 fret, and some kind of shim-tab extending into the control rout. Just to keep things in place while the design evolves. I've been playing it without a pickguard. There's nothing but 2 coats of grainfiller. Plus, the pickguard could end up going down into the wear area next to the Gatton cut in the bridge.

I like it. The pickguard is cool. If you were going to mess with the pickguard any further I would suggest making it bigger, kind of like the pickguard on a telecaster bass.

I like where you've got the body length at, and a great big +1 on the strat style elbow contour. The coolest tele I ever played had that contour on it, wasn't mine unfortunately. I always thought Fender should have that as a regular option on some of the pricier series.

Thanks. I am thinking larger, also, for this model. The body looks too "high and fat waisted" with no pickguard and gradually gets better with bigger guard designs - or so it appears to me. I like the idea of extending that portion of the PG - almost like a '72 Custom Tele.

I have a Walnut Tele with the usual type of Tele arm relief, and this thing feels quite different - you can really get in tight on the bridge and this might help some guys. And it will hurt others, I think. I want to create something different from the usual Tele but not bewilderingly different.

I gotta go slow and give this plenty of thought.

Thanks to both of you.

newtwanger

Blackguardian.
Sorry, just my opinion but that pickguard makes me think of a raccoon.
It's OK on your Teles but I find here it could be improved.
(maybe I'm biased as I'm sure you remember my pickguard design is huge. ;))

I LOVE the fact that it now fits in a Strat/Tele case. Awesome.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I like Raccoons

Sorry, just my opinion but that pickguard makes me think of a raccoon.
It's OK on your Teles but I find here it could be improved.
(maybe I'm biased as I'm sure you remember my pickguard design is huge. ;))

I LOVE the fact that it now fits in a Strat/Tele case. Awesome.

My girlfriend likes raccoons a lot; I'll show it to her, she'll be in love. :D

It will NOT fit in a standard Fender Strat/Tele case. Those cases usually have a block just so securing the body just above the neckplate, so the body cannot move up and down. That block is in the way in the Silver G + G case (burgundy lining) you see on page one. The case it fits into is a Kramer case (black mouse fur), where that block is moved North 3 inches. I just dug that case out; it was donated to me for shipping a guitar to me.

Sorry for the confusion/conflation of images.

oigun

Tele-Afflicted
Pickguard looks cool, don't make the same mistake as I did and put to much screwholes in ;) (that looks a bit screwed up)
mmm I like to do a full contour-body one day...

jonvo4591

TDPRI Member
IMO, the pickguard would be cool if it was sort of inspired by the tele guard. If it followed the lines of the guitar, up the treble horn, and contour around sort of like a tele. If the PG sort of flowed down into the Squire 51 control plate mentioned earlier, I think that would be the sexiest thing ever. well, I just paint chopped up a picture, something to this effect:

telemaster.jpg

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That's a cool design, Jonvo. It reminds me of my many many MANY Squier 51s (30 at one time) and I'm craving something different. I did think about a 51 or 51 P-Bass control plate, but the more likely design trend will be to stay with the Tele control plate - and mebbe I'll see if I can get a TeleMaster next time with a smaller control rout. Maybe a rear control rout, actually.