1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reshape neck or new neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by highwaycat, Oct 27, 2020.

1. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

I got a new neck that plays and sounds very well but the top of the neck is too chunky and I want to remove some shoulder and the fingerboard edges aren’t rolled as much as I thought they would be.
    But I already had a reputable person finish it in gloss, fingerboard and all and it’s fantastic, best gloss finish I’ve ever played.

Should I tell him I want to redo the back of the neck and fingerboard edges?

The neck was around $260 unfinished and if I get another one I’ll need to put together another guitar.
    I don’t think anyone will buy the current neck, no decal, plus there’s a couple scratches from me removing the gloss buildup from the frets.

The guitar right now is heavy so I’m tempted to start over with a new body but the current body isn’t bad. It’s a player series strat body and I bought it loaded, used my own pickups but only got $60 selling the stock pickups so I have a decent amount invested.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Reshape.

Been wanting mine changed for a while but was apprehensive.

Had a chat with the luthier that assembled my partcaster. Explained I didn’t like the soft V shape in the neck. He said just come down and tell me what you’d like. He gave me a number of necks to check over but I ended up liking the neck on a James Tyler Strat.

He copied the profile on my Telecaster. Couldn’t be happier.

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

SOMETIMES I feel for you guys that don't make your own necks. It's SO easy to feel as you go and decide if you like it. I even go back as tastes change/I age and change it again. So nice :D

Dave

photondev, pypa, Jackadder and 3 others like this.
  4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

If you know how to reshape the neck and feel like you can do the job to your satisfaction, then give it a go.
    The worst that can happen is you’ll have to order a new neck which is kinda where you are now.
    Good luck,

dougstrum and crazydave911 like this.
  5. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

Would it be ok to just roll the fingerboard edges?
    I can keep the neck if I can do the roll. It’s already finished in gloss though.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

1EA9D689-E215-44EE-B011-9C316CAC8944.jpeg

Opted to leave it ‘unfinished’, except for a micro-crystalline wax polish. Silky smooth and fast.

Jim_in_PA and crazydave911 like this.
  7. pypa

pypa Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

By roll the edge I assume you mean work the bevel. If you mean this, you'll need to simultaneously touch the edge of the frets. If you use a mill file held in a 2x4 at the right angle, you can roll the fb edge AND the frets at the same time. Yes, this will remove the finish on the edges. But with the jig, you may get away with an acceptable and uniform removal. This can be touched up by hand.

If down the road, you decide you want to alter the back of the neck, that too is super easy with a rasp followed by an orbital sander. Honestly, a couple seal coats of wiping varnish over a highly sanded neck is what I'd want on a neck anyway.

I guess i'm saying go for feel and playability first, and let the looks (which won't be bad) follow.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Reshape!

[​IMG]

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

new neck!! new guitar for sure.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.