1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Resale value on a Nash tele?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Compson1699, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Compson1699

Compson1699 TDPRI Member

Hello. I'm looking into selling the 2008 Nash T-63 I've had for about 5 years. At one point, I lent the guitar to a friend, and it came back with the neck warped. This was a bummer, but it prevented the guitar getting stolen when my house was burglarized. Nash doesn't sell replacement parts, so I had the neck replaced by SMK guitars. The specs are identical. Do y'all have any ideas what a reasonable Craigslist price would be for this guitar. It breaks my heart to part with it, but hard times call for hard choices.

2. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Man, that's quite a run of bad luck. Nash Teles seem to run for about $1200 here; it's tough to say on the value because it's even more of a partscaster than when it started, and the perceived value is Nash assembling it in the first place. It stinks that he won't sell a replacement neck. How did the neck get warped?

3. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Not very much, and it could take a while....

4. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Little to nothing. This may be a dumb question, but, have you tried having the instrument professionally set up.

Might just need a fret level or something as simple as a setup.

I have come into contact with close to 100 unplayable guitars and none of them had warped necks.

5. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I wish I had a better thing to write for you than this: I think it is really a crappy company that won't provide a replacement part for a legitimate need. I understand not getting into the parts business. And I understand being concerned about bogus requests. But if I had a neck on a 'custom' guitar (which I consider a Nash to be), and they wouldn't do a 1-for-1 swap FOR A CHARGE ... well, that'd be the last guitar I bought from that company, and I wouldn't be bashful about broadcasting that fact everywhere I could get a posting in.

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Think Nash like other builders will only warranty guitar to original owner. Never heard of SMK Guitars, do they build the necks or are they finishing a neck from another producer? You'll be lucky to get half of what you paid, most will consider this a partscaster. I see you said nash wouldn't sell you a neck but did you contact him about repairing it for you? I seem to remember that he's taken in used instruments and fixed them up for the new owners.

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nash necks are in fact ALL PARTS necks that are reliced & set up by Nash.That is what you are paying for (set up & relicing) when you buy a parts guitar from Nash.

Now that you have replaced the neck (what brand is the new neck?) you have a parts guitar with a "Nash" body and a replacement neck...partscasters like that sell at round $700-$800 depending on the pickups.

8. Walter Violette

Walter Violette TDPRI Member

Nash will replace necks if under warranty strangely I read a lot of boards and it seems to be the most common issue warped necks on Nash guitars

9. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Maybe in Greece. It seems in the States, you can ask $500 for a partscaster but people won't snap it up; they'll want to negotiate down $50-$100. At least that seems to be the prevailing mood. I've seen posts from guys on here suggesting that $300 is the right price for a 'parts guitar.'

10. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

this is the same neck but
    worked on by Lindy Fralin

http://www.fralinpickups.com/necks.asp

in general allparts have agood rep. Ive even read
    they are made by the same factory that makes Fender Japan necks

I think a nash tele with a fralin neck would sell for around about $800
    I mean id pay that for it. Ok maybe $700. :D

11. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

It says on their website that they only sell full builds through their dealers. IMHO anyone who buys one should be aware that once the warranty period is over, they won't be selling parts.

At least you can easily find a compatible neck or other parts.

12. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

And yet the Fender Custom Shop sells necks if you ask, and even pickups, pickguards, bridges, and more...

Even boutique amp builders will happily send you their badges if you lost on off of their amp and have proof that you own one.

I'd box the neck up, ship it to them, and ask for replacement then. If they wouldn't comply, for a fee, I'd never recommend the company to anyone again.

13. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I think you're mistaken about the Fender Custom shop selling parts.. Other than Custom Shop badged pickups.. may be able to get replacements through a Fender Dealer with verification but straight up parts sales no. Some parts for some models are available..

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

yeah CS do not sell necks. I wish they would!

a Nocaster neck goes for around $600-700 on the Ebays

15. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Bizarrely, what you can get for a parts caster appears to be a bit less than whatever you would get for all the individual parts sold separately.

Having them assemled into a playable instrument seems to reduce the value for some reason (unless you are a recognised name of course).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.