Request Recomendations on the newer Reverb/Delay Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Platefire, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I'm an old BOSS RV3 pedal fan. My original RV3 smoked and I ended up buying a used newer model RI of the RV3. To my ears the RI RV3 just don't sound as good as the original. Not sure why, I'm not to technical on the chips used in either one. So thinking about selling my RV3 and using the money to go on one of the newer pedals. Only thing, there are a lot of them out there now days. So I was hoping some of you that had some experience with the pedals available might share some of your knowledge.

I mostly use a short slap back delay that I leave on most of the time for most everything and a long delay I use for slow blues. I usually leave a small amount of reverb on all the time.

I might would venture out on different delays and reverb with more options available after experimenting with a new pedal. So I'm not afraid to try out different types of delay/reverbs. I would like a pedal with a separate on/off switch for reverb and delay so you can use each separately or combined.

I'm thinking my price range is in the $100-$200 price range. Thanks in Advance!!! Platefire

BTW--One that caught my eye is the Keely Electronics Caverns delay/Reverb?
    It looks good and seems to have all the controls I need--but how well it works---I have no idea

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

There are so many in that price range. Look at some videos and see what you like.

3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The Keeley Caverns could be what you're looking for. Separate switches for delay and reverb, A few different modes for each effect. It's maybe a little knobby, but it seems like the classic sounds are in there.

Tall-Fir, BorderRadio and igor5 like this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

+1 on the Caverns. I was pretty happy with mine. I only sold it to cover expenses for x-ray school.

5. Platefire

OK Thanks, then I suppose I might be on the right track. Platefire

6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

That Keeley pedal looks nice. I just checked the price and was surprised to see it’s not priced off the face of the planet, here in Japan.

I have no experience with it, but Fender makes the Reflecting Pool. Has tap tempo and (possibly) more features. Has a bigger price tag too, here at least.

I have two Fender pedals, the Marine Layer reverb and the Mirror Image delay. I like them a lot. I think reviews are right in that they (Fender’s Pedals in general) have a good, useful range of options and features, without being overly complicated. A practical, useful, real world range. So, that’s another option, I guess, to consider.

Having said that, if I was buying today, I’d probably look at something like that Keeley.

Pax/
    Dean

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I also have the Fender Marine Layer pedal — I’m not a pedal enthusiast by any means, but I really like it! It has a nice range of reverb styles, from subtle and simple to stuff that gets into some delay/echo territory.

I like it enough that I’m hoping to add the Mirror Image pedal one of these days to replace my little Memory Toy delay. I’d also love the Tre-Verb for some vintage Fender effects, though it’s a little pricier and perhaps less appealing to those who might have a black/silverface amp with those boxes checked.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Dr Scientist for plates if that is your thing.

9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

here's a nice shootout with the RV3 at the outset

sounds like you're playing the blues, mostly?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  10. Platefire

11. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir TDPRI Member

The Caverns does sound nice! But do you need another delay type pedal or are you happy with the two that you have? Will the Caverns fit on your board nicely in place of the RV-3? All those knobs kind of inspire me to look into a Caverns myself!

I do have a Mad Professor reverb pedal which I always leave on and I have no complaints about, but the bottom line is that I use a good dose of my amp’s on board reverb in line with a Maxon delay.

12. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir TDPRI Member

El Tele Lobo—congrats on x-ray school. Hope that was a good choice and is going well for you even in these difficult times.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Platefire

The Scientist is demoed on the Best top 10 Reverb Pedals

14. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir TDPRI Member

Just read on another thread there is a digital delay/.reverb pedal called The Dispatch Master. Looks and sounds good, so it might be worth looking into.

15. Platefire

Kind of complex. The BOSS RV3 is on my mid size pedal Board. The one I want to put the reverb/delay on is my small pedal board in attached picture(disregard feet:>) and will take the place of the Green Rocktron Short Timer delay which is a pretty large footprint=5.5"x 5.5". I have been trying to find the dimensions on the Keeley Canon to see if it will fit.
    IMG_20200731_210744467.jpg

16. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Meister

This the v1 of Neunabers Immerse . More settings than I will probably ever use, but everything I do use is terrific. Be aware as is so often the case, the Spring setting will not sound like true Spring reverb, but is very nice all the same .

Got a great deal on the older version, and they are still available. I found very little difference between v1 and v2. Happy shopping.
    [​IMG]

17. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Digitech Obscura is a really good delay pedal. It's digital, but does really good imitations of various analog delay types, including controls for the way those signals degrade over the course of many repeats. It also has a tap tempo function and can be had for a decent price.

18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Seems to have been a good decision, praise God. I have one semester left.… Assuming I can complete all of my objectives. We haven’t done any clinical rotations since late February, so we have to get 2 1/2 semesters worth of objectives met in one… No pressure. Really enjoying it though. And I’m working in a local hospital as a patient transporter, so I’ve had plenty of work lately.

19. Platefire

Thanks for the recomendations on dedicated delays and reverbs but I'm looking for a combined delay/reverb in one unit.

The main reason for that is I'm an old tube amp builder and a lot
    Of the those amps don't have reverb. So two things that I use continuously would. be taken care of

On my RV3, you can't switch the two separately. You can use both separately or either both combined. So having a separate switch for both is a lot better
    IMHO. Platefire

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I bet Earthquaker Devices's Dispatch Master would be a good fit for the OP

not too crazy, but a step beyond spring reverb

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.