Report from the Philly Guitar Show

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by klasher, Jul 8, 2017.

1. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

3B Philly Guitar Show report, Day 1. I won't be at Day 2, so this is all I got! Cool show, not quite as many people there as I remember. A vendor told me there aren't quite as many vendors either. Also no band playing as there has been in years past. It's in a different location then I remember. It's in Oaks whereas it used to be I think at the Valley Forge Convention Center. Mostly a similar feel, but just a tad bit smaller. The attendees were all pretty cool to talk to, as were the vendors. But one vendor told me not many people were buying. My buddy and I both noticed that walking around. Even by 2 in the afternoon, a lot of people were walking around and looking at things, but no one was really buying anything. The vendor I spoke to didn't know what was up with that but he was getting frustrated. He thinks the November show will be busier since a lot of folks are on vacation now. We'll have to wait and see.
    As far as prices and what they had, they of course had the obligatory $30,000 Les Pauls, and the $3,000 50s Fender amps of all sizes, and all the usual vintage stuff. There were quite a few more custom makers there then I remember in years past. I even scored a pretty nice swamp ash body from Clearfork for $100, which was pretty cool. He was really cool to talk to. He's selling to a lot of large manufacturers now and getting very little sleep. But a real nice guy. He had some great bodies there, all different kinds of wood. I got the tried and true swamp ash. I like it because it's cut a bit bigger like my Squire 50s vintage vibe tele. I compared the size with that and my other tele's when I got home. The clearkfork is almost cut exactly like the squire, and both are bigger than my other two tele bodies. It sounds nitpicky but I'm glad about that. I like the bigger size tele bodies.
    By the way I asked the guy from Clearfork how he settled on the body specs. He said he actually had four different 50s era tele's and he picked the body dimensions he liked the best (since they all varied in that time period) and went with that as his template. Anyway, great guy to talk to.
    Back to the show: still not a ton of pedals there, which surprised me. More so then in years past but still not many.
    However, there were some great deals there on reissue gear. I saw a Fender reissue DR for $775 that looked like it was in really good shape, and I tried a pretty rare Fender reissue Vibro-whatever with the brown tolex. I remember that came out when they first started the reissue amps in the early 90s I think. That one didn't last long but it's a very good amp. He wanted $1K for it, which I thought was a very fair price. It was in great shape and sounded very good. The trem was super cool on it.
    Interesting day, but not many sales happening, which was a bummer to see. Hopefully things will pick up for them in November.
    Personally I'd love to see a guitar show with a bit less of an emphasis on the vintage stuff and a bit more of a place for all the custom manufacturers that exist now. That would be cool.
    But still a good time overall. Looking forward to getting this new swamp ash body put together.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

I did my part. Came out with a Pro Tele

. DSCN0633.JPG

Nubs and Doug 54 like this.
  3. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

TEK1 - Nice score. I was at the show, too. I feel like I'm looking at the same 70s Teles and Les Pauls twice a year. I do like the parts and case vendors, t-shirts and that kind of stuff. But, on the guitar-side, I didn't see anything I would really be Jonesin' for.

4. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

PJ55 Thanks. To me there seemed to be less lefties than before. Thinking the dealers do lot of trading between themselves. I also heard some talking about few buyers as klasher stated. Saw a better speaker selection than last time.

5. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I saw a nice Sho-Bud Pedal Steel, a couple nice Les Pauls and old 335s. Sure, I'd be OK to take a couple of them home, but didn't buy anything this time around. Maybe in November.

6. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I won't be there, and I've never been to a guitar show, but I have a question:

You say the vendors were surprised/frustrated by the lack of buyers- what do the vendors expect? Most of the people I know can't play a guitar, and those who can certainly can't afford a vintage guitar for the prices folks want. Hell, they can't afford new contemporary guitars. A guitar show seems like an car show- you're going to check out cool cars; most likely you're not planning on purchasing the that classic Corvette or Batmobile replica. It's just too expensive for average people.

7. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I like the idea you can actually see and play what you are buying appeals to me. I am picky about my guitars and amps. I would not be laying out thousands for some internet purchase in general. I won't say never, but rarely. The variation in cheaper guitars is even wider. You can see that Teisco dose not have a twisted neck with half inch string hiegth and a non working pickup.

8. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I think your picture got inverted somehow when you uploaded it...[emoji12]

Tek1 likes this.
  9. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

Chud. Nope that's what a lefty looks like.

10. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

hellopike, I think a lot of dealers use it as a get together, and swap gear. I also think the dealers will gripe about the number of buyers no matter what. I never met a sales person that said "I have too many sales". Some of the attendees bring equipment to sell to the dealers, or other attendees as well. Although the dealers are looking to pay wholesale prices. There are a few Asian buyers looking for the vintage stuff. There are deals to be had. Feel sure I got a deal, or the dealer would still have it. A few dealers tried to buy it from me on my way out. Then there is the gear with the $$$$ price tags. I would think there would be a small market for that gear. If you are willing to pay $35,000 for a Strat, you are probably willing to travel to see it. If you are a builder it is a great way to get people to see your work. Paul Reed Smith was billed as speaking. I go with the hope of finding a quality lefty, and maybe learn a little. Both Martin, and Taylor will have reps attending with a dealer. Most of the dealers I interacted with were helpful, and most were smiling.

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The whole idea of a guitar show is that vendors show their wares and people who choose to come to the show generally have the intent of buying something that they like. There are plenty of lookers, for sure, as it's also entertainment: seeing stuff you've never seen before. Unless it's strictly a "vintage" show, there's usually a broad range of guitars and amps. Last show I went to ranged from $99 Squier Bullets to $15,000 60's Strats.

12. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I say I say, that was a joke son. [emoji12]

archetype and Tek1 like this.
  13. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

Chud. I thought my come back was pretty good. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.