Replacing selector switch with pot

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Mongo Park, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

I have a tele which I moded to put in a pot to to replace the selector switch. I bought a pot from fle bay that was described as the pot to be used for this mod. Now that it is in it does not give a smooth continuous sweep from one Pu to the other. It has a center marker at which both pu's are equal. If I turn it either way from this position it instantly switches to one pu or the other, depending which way I turn the knob. So it really still works like a switch. What I wanted was something that gives more of a smooth mix from one pu to the other, which would be what I thought a pot would do.
    Could somebody show me what sort of pot would give a smooth transition from one pu to the other. Cheers Ron

2. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

If you can find the schematic for a Rickenbacker 'blend' control, you will see how it works. Now, the problem as I see it is that a volume control has an audio (Log) taper. I don't know of a potentiometer that has Log going in both directions so it is possible that you are using a linear taper pot. That's why you are getting a sudden change of volume and not the 'blend' you are expecting.

Another way to get this effect is to use a five way selector switch which gives N, N+1/2B, N+B, 1/2N+B, B. This is easy to do. If you replace the volume and tone pots with push-pulls, you have have series and out of phase versions of all these tones.

3. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Or, get an M/N taper blend pot:
    [​IMG]

Sarde likes this.
  4. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

5. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Thank you both, this gives me somthing to work towards, you must be a linear taper. Very kind of of both of you to share your knoweldge.
    Cheers Ron

6. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

You're welcome. That's why we're all here.

7. JC22

JC22 TDPRI Member

I like!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.