Replacing nut on Fender MIM Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 1982, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 1982

1982 NEW MEMBER!

Hey, new here and I have a question. I recently purchased a used Telecaster at a pawn shop. The nut on the guitar is broken so I need to find a replacement. Went to GC and they told me that it would cost $40 for them to cut a new one to size and make the slots for the strings.

I had no idea it would be this much. My question is can anyone tell me if there are any nuts with the string slots already made? It's a curved nut, not a flat one.

I've searched several sites and the only curved fender type nuts I've found have no slots in them.

Thanks.

2. jjvh66

jjvh66 TDPRI Member

That price sounds about right. It's worth the money. Just bite the bullet and get it fixed, you won't be sorry.

3. Joey

Joey Tele-Holic

That's a good price and every nut is custom cut to your particular guitar and string gauge . Make sure they use a bone nut.

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Does $40 include installing it ? If so that's about right. You can purchase a new nut with slots for about $10 with shipping but the slot depth will not be correct and need to be cut deeper, special files are required, do not attempt to cut them without the appropriate files. I just acquired a new nut for one of my 52RI.s , it's not BONE but a new sort of synthetic bone , whatever...it was about $10, the size is exactly right and it is specified for the 52RI, but the slots are not deep enough so I need to bring it over to my Luthier buddy to get it right. The nut should basically pop in and out, that parts easy...

here is a similar one on EBAY, but you do have to get the proper size for you guitar.

Keep in mind that the nut on your guitar ( and mine) is plastic ! Fender also offers slotted nuts for your guitar or very close in size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-TELECASTER-GRAPH-TECH-TUSQ-SLOTTED-NUT-NEW-/250828544503

good luck

t

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

Yes, you can buy a nut with the slots already cut from Stew-mac and several other places on the web. The one I'm referring to has a small tang in the middle that you will have to file off so the nut will sit down flush to your curved slot but it's pretty easy to do. They put the tang on there so it can also be used for flat slots.

6. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Most Guitar Centers would be Wayyyyy down on my list for a place to have a New Nut installed....I'm sure you should be able to find an independent Luthier in your area of Texas, with a good reputation for their work ?

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1

I would basically suggest to most guys who can handle a pick, that they can do a better job than is likely to be done at the average GC. Really good tech work at Guitar Center is ultra rare, and tends to be limited to a handful of locations.

Check out a site called "Slacklehoss" and let them take you through installing your own preslotted nut.

Edit: Sorry. Spacklehoss.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  8. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

It wouldn't hurt to have a set-up done at the same time the nut is installed. Sure, it adds to the total price of the guitar, but it's what will make the difference between an average guitar and one that plays just right. Heck, a lot of new guitars need some set-up attention, so don't be bummed if your pawn shop Tele needs it.

Whether you do any of the work yourself or not is up to you, but I side with those saying there are better places than GC.

I get nothing when I search for that, boris. :confused:

9. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

10. leftyfrank

leftyfrank TDPRI Member

The same thing happened with my MIM and the luthier I took it to at first offered to fix it by just adding a dab of glue at the end of the nut (it was a small chip) because it is "an inexpensive guitar". I opted for a bone nut and a setup and was quite pleased with the results. Remember, most guitars are made in a factory and any improvements such as a new nut will make it that much better!

11. JessRey

JessRey Tele-Holic

Where are you in TX. There is a bunch of great Luthiers in the state and a bunch of them can be found on here.

12. growly

growly TDPRI Member

Hey 1982. I know a great Luthier who hand made a bone nut for my MIM strat (the slot spacing was typicaly mexican on the original). Total cost was $50 including installation. It may seem a bit pricey, but it was worth it (Bone instead of plastic). PM me if you want more details and are near Dallas.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.