Replacing neck PU 68 telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Mylek, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Mylek

Mylek TDPRI Member

Hello,

i'll like to replaced the neck PU on a '68 telecaster because i'll like to have more output to balance it with the bridge PU.

What will be good option to retain the original sound? I'm more into jazz.

Regards!

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Seymour Duncan still uses the plated brass covers. You might be able to get a closer match with their line as to what your after.

The brass will help attenuate the higher frequencies and may be a little more of what your used to hearing.

Mixing Fender and SD will have phasing problems. Just reverse the wires on the neck pickup, that should solve it.

Let us assume that you've played around with pickup heights to try and balance them?

In the SD line, the 5/2, Quarter Pounder and the Hot Tele seem to have the most output for the single coil neck position.

Mincer likes this.
  3. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

For Jazz, I love the neck Five Two. It uses different magnets for the treble and bass strings, which makes it perfect for a more mellow sound.

4. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

I have just bought a pair of Tele pickups from Alexander Pribora in Russia and for me they sound great for Jazz. (or many other types of music.) I also have a .047 capacitor in the circuit which does cut out the harshness of the bridge pickup.
    Mike

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

What bridge pickup are you using? Something high-output?

6. Mylek

Mylek TDPRI Member

No, i'm still using the original bridge pickup.
    Maybe i should tried to balanced them again properly...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

How strong’s The magnetic pull? Maybe the magnets need charging...

8. Mylek

Mylek TDPRI Member

How do you do this?
    By sticking a stronger magnet across the poles?

9. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 68 tele and also do a few jazz standards. I went to a Dimarizo DP211 humbucker at the neck and a Dimarzio Area T bridge p/u for no noise.

Really well balanced now - also used an Area T neck p/u & Area T bridge p/u - icepick is gone, a bit hi-fi but I can live with that. I have 2 pickguards and switch back and forth between a HB and the Area T at the neck.

Only problem with the setup would be pickup height on the Dimarzio noiseless single coils - they're higher, are really humbuckers in disguise - I had to shim the neck to change neck angle & the bridge height so strings would clear the pickups. Some of the p/u adjustment is now gone but it works well - wonderful for silent recording or small venues when you don't want the buzz and hum of a real single coil.

10. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Get compass and check polarity of the bridge pup, take a neodymium magnet and flip it so that the polarity is opposite of bridge pup, drag magnet across neck pickup.

Might not be Joe Bonamassa approved though :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.