Replacing my old Thomas Organ Crybaby-which one is closest?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by backalleyblues, Sep 19, 2021.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Morning everyone!

I've been having issues with my old standby Thomas Organ Crybaby (Chicago Stack Of Dimes version) and I'm looking to replace it on my board-I really like how this pedal sounds (which is why it's been around so long!) it really sounds like those old 70's Foghat records!

So I want a pedal that's going to give me that same tone, MOL-which current production pedal gets there? I'm trying to avoid wahs that have knobs sticking out the sides (no room for that) so getting the tone right from the get-go is what I want.

So what do you all recommend?

Thx in advance,

Franc Robert

uriah1 and fendrguitplayr like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Get a replacement pot for it and it'll last another 40 years.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Check out the Vox 847. I have both and they operate and sound similar, but the TO Cry Baby tends to be a bit more midrange-peaky than the Vox.

Here's a good comparo:

4. backalleyblues

Unfortunately it’s not just the pot-the whole thing is just tired, it’s played thousands of gigs and every part is worn out!

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I just sold a TO stack of dimes Crybaby and got another Fulltone Clyde standad wah, the Clyde wah has a longer sweep but sounds as good or better to me. It is bigger than the Crybaby wahs.
    I've owned some of the newer Vox wahs and as Peego mentioned, they are pretty similar and wah pedals are easy to mod.

Things do wear out but really there is not a lot there, I've taken old Crybaby wahs apart , tightened up the bar that holds the treadle in place, the other parts rack gear , the clip that holds it in place , wah pot, footswitch, all can be replaced.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  6. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I bought one from Fulltone to give my Crybaby new life....

7. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

You could try these guys for replacement parts , I have used them in the past.

https://dandyjob.com/

8. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

probably a teese or fulltone

9. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I'm not a pedal person by any means, but if you were happy with the TCB, I'd try to refurbish it. You may not be pleased with more modern offerings. :)

10. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

The Thomas Organ Co wahs can be easily repaired and there are plenty of replacement parts to be found online.

I have one that I've used since the 70's and it's still kicking. Granted I've done a few mod's to it over the years, True bypass, LED indicator, Volume & sweep mod's (that involved changing resistors), swapped the TDK inductor to a "Red Fasel" (actually the swap didn't changed the sound at all, they're very similar in sound).

If you have some basic soldering skills it's all very simple to do. Seeing that the older wah's use "through hole" boards and not surface mount components. There are plenty of resources online for all the mentioned mod's that pedal mod people charge a insane amount of money to do that you can easily do yourself for pennies.

I replaced the pot with a "Hot Potz" which is a sealed unit over a decade ago and it's quiet as can be.

Neener likes this.
  11. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nothing comes close to that Thomas pedal, imo.

Reverb has a few for about $150 refurbished...if you can return, it might be worth it.

12. Ringo

The Thomas Organ Crybaby is what I started out with way way long ago. I remember writing to Thomas Organ to get a replacement pot. There are many variations of the T.O. Crybabys, different inductors.
    My buddy has one with the square TDK inductor, it sounds great to me.
    The old Crybabys don't have as long a sweep as modern wah pedals, they vary in tone too even from one to another , differences in components I guess.

Some of the older Vox wahs have the exact same circuit , we compared a vintage Vox with a T.O. Crybaby, only the inductor was different.

I've had all kinds of wah pedals, modded many wah pedals, had Teese wahs, Vox, Dunlops, a real vintage 69 Vox ( what a great sounding wah but I sold it for big money)
    As mentioned I'm back to a Fulltone Std Clyde , its true bypass, can run on a power supply and to me it sounds better than the old Crybaby wahs.
    YMMV and probably will, the only way to know is to true some different wah pedals out and see what works for you.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

I was gonna suggest a teese/RMC

They make wahs that you can set the sweep/parameters to make it sound like what you want to replace

14. backalleyblues

Well I wound up going with the Crybaby Classic, which has the Fasel inductor in it-put it on my board last night and tried it real quick, it does sound a LOT like my old TO crybaby, but the proof will be in the pudding when I play a festival tomorrow (remember those?). What sold me on it was the Don Carr video Sweetwater put up-simple,no BS demo that really showed the pedal properly. Another report after the gig...

Franc Robert

Ringo likes this.
  15. Ringo

Looking forward to the after gig update.

16. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

my current wah is built like that and dialing it in was worth all the tweaky bits and expensive mojo parts

Fretting out likes this.
  17. backalleyblues

And now, the post-gig update...

:D:D:D

it sounds REALLY close to my TO Crybaby, the sweep is slightly different, but certainly workable, and even better, quite predictable, which is something I could NEVER say about my old pedal. One good example was "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" (Foghat version) I play both parts of the call and response in the intro (I'm the only guitar player!) never could click the old wah reliably to make it sound right, but with the new wah I nailed it! Several other tunes, same deal-this pedal behaved far more predictably than the old one, and sounded near enough the same that I didn't miss the old one, so this wah is going to stay!

As for the old TO Crybaby, it has a host of issues, not just the pot-the switch is pretty toasty, the jacks are all worn out, the top rubber pads are gone, the pin holding the treadle to the body is very loose and slides out at a moment's notice... the thing is just tired, no other way to put it...

Thanks everyone!

Franc Robert

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.