1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

replacing guitar speaker

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mlweidl, Sep 14, 2010.

1. mlweidl

mlweidl Tele-Meister

So i just picked up a southbay scumback 30 watt 16 ohm speaker to put in my AC15 and just wanted some tips before i rip the old out and out the new in there. Any thing i need to know to not mess anything up? im good enough with a soldering iron so thats not so much what im worried about. More so im just wondering if there are some tips to make it easier and not damage my amp permanantly

Thanks guys!

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I did a "simple" swap once, and the speaker slipped a little when I pulled it out and punctured the cone with one of the mounting studs. It was a 1966 ceramic Jensen. Crap! Just be careful and use two hands if you can.

3. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

Several years back I had my amp face down on the carpet putting a speaker in it and I lost my balance bringing the speaker into place. It was a monster JBL e120! I managed to save the speaker somehow, but I impaled my left hand on the mounting stud through the thick part of the webbing at my thumb. I went from the excitement of changing speakers to not being able to hold a guitar for three weeks. I don't look at it as a simple swap any more. The scumback shouldn't be that bad, but when its a JBL, bring an assistant!

4. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

I hate amps that have the mounting studs built in like this. It's scary swapping speakers on those.

mlweidl - in my experience all amps are a little different regarding how you get to the speaker. Some come out the front. Some you need to pull the chassis out, some can be reached easily from the back without removing anything. Maybe someone familiar with the AC15 will chime in here, but I would suggest you first figure out the easiest and safest way to access and remove the speaker - and only then get your tools out. I find that most speaker replacements don't require soldering - they have clip attach wires.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.