Replacing Bridge Pickup with TV Jones Classic, not changing neck pu. Advice? Parts?

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I apologize in advance but the only way to learn is to ask and rather than piece together a solution from other threads and make assumptions, I'll just ask my question directly.

I have a 2020 Vintera RW Tele, which has two standard tele pickups and a three-way switch, tone and volume like normal. I'd like to change out the bridge pickup with a TV Jones classic that I have from a strat project that I'm cannibalizing. I recognize that I'll need a new bridge plate and all the physical stuff. Can I simply unsolder my current bridge pu and solder in the TVJ? Do I need a different cap or any special circuit parts? I am comfortable soldering and modding stuff but I don't want to make a mistake and damage my wiring or amp.

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask any questions.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
yes you can... sure, just desolder and solder the TVJ in.

You don't need anything different, but you may want to change the pots or caps... possibly. I have a 500k pot with my filtertron bridge, but it's pretty bright, so you'll probably be fine with the stock 250k pots.

But I wouldn't even think about it until you've tried it with the stock wiring or you'll never know.

You may also have to run a ground wire to the bridge, if your current set up relies on the tele pickup's ground on the baseplate.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
If it is a standand Telecaster bridge routing, you are going to have to route for a Filtertron or humbucking routing hole. What kind of bridge do you have in mind? The Gotoh style with a Filtertron opening or a Strat style hardtail?

The electronics parts have been addressed, but this may be a bigger project than what you think. I have built several of these Filtertron Teles and Strats and I eventually came to the conclusion that I like to start with a body built for the concept. What you are really looking to build is a La Cabrionita with a standard Tele neck pickup by the sound of it. If it were me, I would just start with a La Cabrionita Body and another TV Jones Classic for the neck. They sound wonderful and equally as good if not better than a standard Telecaster neck pickup in my opinion. The TV Jones Classic neck and the Classic plus bridge pickup combo is hard to beat. Try to keep it simple.

Keep the Vintera body for another project, I think you will be happy you did otherwise, you might end up with a clusterf... project. Food for thought.

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
I'm sure you're aware, but the TV Jones Classic can come in many different configurations. The typical "universal mount" is not the same shape as a standard humbucker - so the bridge plate you get will have to be sized for a Filter'tron. TV Jones has that part on their website. Also, as stated above, if your Tele is routed for the standard Tele bridge pickup, you will have to rout out the space needed for the Filter'tron shape.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
Good timing on this thread. I want to put a TV Jones classic in the neck position with a Bootstrap Extra Crispy in the bridge. I'd prefer to just route for the neck and use the current 250k pots, but I'd even go to separate cont

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
If you find that the pickups sound out of phase with each other in the position with both selected, you will probably want to reverse the two leads on either. And along with that you will want the ground wire separated from either side of that pickup’s coil, or else you would have a grounding issue and an attendant hum when touching or getting your hand near the metal of the neck cover or bridge plate.