1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Replacing a neck through fender: serial number

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JamesAM, Aug 1, 2020.

1. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Hey all, I have a 2008 American standard whose truss rod has tightened as much as it will go, and there’s still too much relief. On top of that, the truss rod nut is stripped, so I can’t back it out. I think it’s beyond repair and likely needs a brand new neck.

I have been exploring sending the guitar back to fender to replace the neck- obviously not under warranty but out of pocket. My question: for those who have gotten their neck replaced by fender (warranty or otherwise), did the new neck fender put on your guitar have the same serial number as the old one?

My other option is to just buy a new fender neck with mismatched serial numbers, install it and dress it myself, and take the hit on resale value.

wasn’t sure which board to put this on, so I apologize if this isn’t the right place.

thanks!

2. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

It can probably be fixed.
    Truss rod repairs are (somewhat) common.
    Any good luthiers in your area?

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Not that I can find- I’m in the dc metro so I’m sure there are, but due to Covid I’d prefer to save as many trips as possible in case the work isn’t done right.

4. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

You could ship it (the neck) to Stew Mac,
    I'm SURE they could fix it. :)

Crobbins and JamesAM like this.
  5. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I’ll add a second question: if anyone here has replaced their neck themselves with an aftermarket serialized fender one, did the guitar take a resale hit? For example, If I put a new 2020 American professional neck on a 2008 American standard body, how bad a hit am I likely to take?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

With a 58 - substantial. With a 2008, a new Fender neck or even custom neck may increase the value. I think the only way you will take a big hit is if you leave it unplayable. It isn't a collectible vintage guitar yet.

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

??? Stew Mac sells tools and parts.

8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Obviously you're going to take a hit in resale value, but that's besides the point you're taking a big hit by buying a new neck. Just get it fixed. Email fender customer service, explain the situation and ask for the Fender Certified repair person in your city. That will be the cheapest option and the guitars value will stay the same.

Well no but Dan could:)

nojazzhere and JamesAM like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Don't know for sure, but I'd wager a replacement neck from Fender will have a different serial number.
    I agree that resale value is not much of an issue.....it's not a rare, valuable guitar to start with.
    I agree with having a GOOD repairman look at it first. That way you can stay fully original, if that's a concern. Good luck.
    BTW.....if and when you sell, any potential buyer will try to use ANYTHING to get the price down......even saying it should have the original, broken truss rod. Don't worry about it. ;)

Boreas, telemnemonics and JamesAM like this.
  10. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Thanks for this. I’ve got an email in to them now explaining the situation, but every post in every forum I’ve read says likely fender will just recommend a new neck, so I’m likely out a ton anyway- I’m not sure of the fidelity of the truss rod (I just bought this a couple of months ago), so we will see.

This was why I was asking about the serial number: if fender puts a new neck on, will they take a serialized 2020 neck off the shelf, or will they build a new one with the original serial number on it?

I thought he was talking about erlewines shop too!

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

What you ask is akin to the idea that you can now close the barn door after the horse has left the building.

The value hit happened when the truss rod went bad or the neck irrepairably warped.
    It's probably not even worth enough to have the rod replaced but it might be an option if you're obsessed with keeping the guitar all original, aside from invasive repairs.

IDK if Fender would take it back and make a same serial number decal for a new neck.
    Sorry you bought a bad one!
    It's possible the stripped nut could be replaced (might require drillng out and replacing the plug) and the bow corrected by heating and bending.

JamesAM likes this.
  12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I have never heard of fender doing this. Usually if you want specific replacement parts as opposed to buying from the website you need to go through an authorized dealer. I would still strongly suggest having someone look at it before buying a new neck.

nojazzhere and Boreas like this.
  13. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

If you do buy a new neck, keep the old one and include it with the guitar if you ever sell it.

Or, you might do well by parting out the guitar as a neck and a body sold individually.

Henley, JamesAM and Boreas like this.
  14. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another very important factor in the decision - does it need a refret?? If it does, that changes everything. Take or send it to a competent tech and get an estimate on ALL the repairs it needs.

If the neck is wonky, it may also need a level and dress of the frets. Some frets may even loosen once the relief is back to normal. A good neck tech can straighten a neck with a refret by adjusting the tang width. Conversely, a bad tech can cause excessive up-bow by using narrow-tang frets. And keep in mind, a new neck will likely require a fret level and polish and possibly a nut job. All these things are why many of us learn to do some of this work ourselves.

Collin D Plonker and JamesAM like this.
  15. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Right, my bad, I was a bit ambiguous here. I’m not buying through a website, I’m sending the guitar to a fender authorized service center for them to fix- if I take the guitar to a fender authorized service center and they say that the only fix is a whole brand new neck, what serial number will be on the neck that fender themselves installs? Will the new neck have the old z8xxxxx number, or will it have a z20xxxx number?

16. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Thanks, great point! The frets all seem to be good and level, as far as I can tell. The issue seems to be with the bow of the neck that can’t be corrected by the truss rod-
    I like your idea, maybe dressing the frets closer to the bridge will lower the action a bit. I’ll drop it off with an authorized repair shop and see what they say. I’m hoping it won’t need too much fretwork- throw in truss rod nut replacement and a refret, I’m almost out a new neck anyway.

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Fender replacement necks are not serialized. Even if they were, they couldn't match serials because the replacement neck would have been made on a date much later than the original guitar it's going on. Fender replacement necks are marked 'Genuine Fender Replacement Part'.

Other necks offered by an established maker/reseller, e.g., Warmoth, Allparts, WD, etc., are often "licensed by Fender" parts because they are using Fender trade dress (headstock shape, etc.).

And many other imported necks simply steal the Fender shape with no licensing deal--which is shyster behavior.

AAT65 and JamesAM like this.
  18. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Thank you so much- this is exactly what I was looking for!

Peegoo likes this.
  19. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

From the StewMac FAQ

Q; Is Stewart-MacDonald an instrument dealer or a repair shop?

A; We don't sell or repair instruments. Our role in the music industry is as a supplier of parts and tools. We recommend that you take your instrument to a reputable local repair shop.

You would probably have to contact Dan Erlewine for any sort of repair.

20. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Yes, this is what I meant, sorry for the confusion...

Crobbins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.