Replacing 8 pin stock and worn sockets on Fender the Twin Red Knob Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jalexquijano, Aug 11, 2017.

1. jalexquijano

jalexquijano Tele-Meister

Yesterday while swapping the 1.5k and 470 ohms metal oxide resistors in the octal power tube sockets one of the pins on one of the sockets sliced and i had to solder to 470 ohm and orange wires to the remaining pin as shown. Two questions:

1. Any problem if i decide to leave it soldered this way as it is making contact and forget about the octal tube replacement?

2. Which are the best 8 pin octal tube sockets that i can purchase for this amp? Ceramic or phenolic? My twin reverb 65 reissue came with some nice ones that hold the power tubes very tight and firm. The ones in this amp are not providing such firmness.

Attached Files:

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

yes.

Not only the clipped part many eventually cause a problem but the leads on your 1.5k grid resistor are much too long. The socket tab should be straight up and the resistor soldered as close as possible to the tab, withy minimal lead exposed.

Tubestore.com or any of the major online sellers have quality octal sockets. There are so many types that could be recommended it's impossible to say any type is "best" - just order a good quality one that is the same configuration as yours - not all of them mount the same and you need to match the existing mounting (or you might have to otherwise drill the chassis).

3. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

They are probably used and maybe a little worn.

Ceramic is better than phenolic, and current production sockets rarely are as good as the best of the old days.

However, the phenolic sockets Fender used in the late 1970s and 1980s are bad quality, sloppy production.

4. jalexquijano

well i purchased 2 pairs of BELTON OCTAL Sockets. Hope they hold the power tubes tight and firm!!!

5. jalexquijano

The Belton Octal Sockets do not fit flush. The ones that fit are the 8 Pin Celanex Socket

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.