1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Replacement Tubes...Which Brand To Buy...Consensus Needed, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by burtonfan, May 16, 2013.

1. insanecopilot

insanecopilot TDPRI Member

I like the jj ecc803s . But not the ecc83 which is a dark sounding tube. The jj el84 is absolute junk. They dont last. The jj 6l6gt is a good tube. But I love the jj 6v6. The jj ez81 is a wimpy rectifier. The tung sol 12ax7 is a great tube in the V1 position , but dont use it in cathode follower or phase inverter positions. Not robust enough.

I have parted out many organs and whatnot , and have a nice collection of pulls. Most tested strong. I really like the old pinch plate Sylvania's in combo 18watt marshalls I build.

Just some of my observations. Oh I really like the mullard reissue el84 too.

2. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Well being a tube neophyte I have searched the internet and found this place:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Hot-Rod-Amps

They present replacements for all your tubes, at different price levels, and they have narratives about various tubes, so you can make an intelligent choice. I don't know what others think, but I 'd love to hear an opinion about them. I think they're located in Canada and the prices are reasonable. I think they test them before they send them to you. Rebranding is a possibility. It seems to be a fair way to educate you about tubes and revise them, without the hearsay factor one gets on these websites.

Can anyone recommend a comparison or better place?

3. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

I have to vouch against jj's for combos.

I bought a matched quad in april for a peavey combo. ****ty things rattle like a mother****er. the exact reason I replaced my sovtek wxt's.

I was talked into it at the local 'guru's' shop. I went in wanting to spend 80 bucks on shuguangs, walked out after spending 140. Went back a week later and he wouldn't exchange them because 'he can't be sure if i checked the bias correctly, he needs to see a receipt from a known tech'.

Complete bull****. It's soured my experience with local guitar shops, and i don't care how convenient they are, i'm strictly an online shopper now. The extra money for less service doesn't fly with me.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I got a bad set of jj's and theres nothing i can do. Hundred and fifty bucks down the drain. While they are in that amp all it's good for is practice. From now on i'm buying nos russian 6p3se or shuguang 6l6gcs.

From what i've been told, and what I have seen, the shuguangs are going up in quality while the russians are going down. I'm now using shuguang 12ax7s, and refuse to buy jj's again.

4. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I havent personally used it but I have a Champ 600 that has tubes from that site. The sticker is still on them. I have browsed their site as well and like how they have their suggestions. No suggestions for a GRETA however so I know their hacks :D.

5. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Well they make a case for Electro-Harmonix tubes and they appear to be reasonably priced. Tung sols are expensive. Why hasn't anyone shown any love for other tubes???

6. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

I get my dest deals from Antique radio guys too. They are typically looking for different tubes than us and sell off a lot of stuff that is good in guitar amps. I've got a plastic bin full of vintage glass I paid $5 - $10 a pop for.

I bought an old tester off of CL last year. The seller gave me a big box of misc stuff with it. The tester turned out to be crap but I got my monies worth out of the box of goodies. A lot of the tubes were worthless TV types but there were a few gems in the box.

[​IMG]

The terminal strip kit was a welcome find. Some NOS transistors and a few cool vintage toggles I will use on my next amp project.

[​IMG]

I sold these to a reseller and actually made money on the deal.

[​IMG]

My best 6V6GT set is this pair of '63 Sylvania black plates pulled from a trashed Hammond M-111 I got for free. I had them in my Tweaker 15 for a while but have since gone back to a pair of '74 6P3S tubes. There is something special about those tubes in a Tweaker. ;)

[​IMG]

7. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I recently re tubed an old SF Bassman w a complete set of JJs. One 6L6 was bad outta the box and I had to send it back for replacement. Happy with the sound hope they last. 3 mo and so far so good.

8. Duke

Duke Tele-Meister

Yup, as far as I'm concerned, this is the way to go. I found an antique radio store within an hour of me (I'm way out in the canadian boonies). I've never paid more than $10 a tube and usually less than that. I've scooped up some tube gold. My favourite was a matched pair of Brimar 6bq5s that currently reside in my 18 watt. Another place to get good old tubes is to check Craigslist for old organs. People literally give them away. Even if you have to drop $50 you'll get several useful tubes out of an old organ.

9. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

I build amps and after going through a learning curve I use Sovtek 12AX7's, 12AX7LPS for PI, EH 5751's and like Sovtek 6L6WXT+ or Gold Lion KT66's for power. If it takes EL34's I like EH and EL84's I use Sovtek.

My amps don't use EL34's - they are all 6L6 based amps - Fender and early Marshall designs.

I use the 5751's to lower the gain for a cleaner sound.

Get the 12AX7LPS tubes matched triods if you are going to use them in the PI.

I also have good luck with Mullard 12AX7's - they sound so rich and full with little feedback issues.

10. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

Sorry if I'm getting a little off base here, but are 6p3s tubes direct replacements for a 6L6?

11. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

No response? I read enough to conclude they can be swapped, but didn't know if they were much different or pretty much the same thing, just different name on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

12. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

If you're new to tubes and what sound you're looking for (brighter, darker, stock, etc.) email Doug's Tubes.
    http://www.dougstubes.com/

He helped me bring an amp to life about 8 years ago. Made the difference between keeping it and selling it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.