1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Replacement Speaker for SFPR

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bgmacaw, Mar 8, 2021.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The good news is the repair on my '73 SFPR is done and I'll be picking it up later this week (too many work meetings today and tomorrow). The bad news is that the amp tech says the original speaker is on its last legs and will only sound good at lower volumes. So, eventually I'll need to get a new speaker.

So, what are your suggestions? I'm primarily interested in cleaner, compressed, tones for slide playing with occasional grit and boost from a Klone or Rat.

I'm considering splurging on a Eminence GA10-SC59 George Alessandro but I'm open to other ideas and cautions on this speaker.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  2. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

On our well known tube amp wisperer @Wally 's advice, I put a Eminence Legend 1028 in my old 66 PR, replacing the original oxford, and I am very pleased with the results. Very pleased.

[​IMG]

dannyh, Wally and bgmacaw like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

4. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

We have used a zillion speakers in our Princetons and the winner was always the Tone Tubby 10 ceramic if you want a big clear sound.

bgmacaw and northernguitar like this.
  5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I have the 40/40 green. Fabulous speaker, by far, my favourite.

6. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

That’s the one!

northernguitar likes this.
  7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Mines the 12. But if my wallet permits, I’ll be looking to them again. Hemp tone!

8. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

If you search your local Craigslist, you can probably pick up a selection of old speakers pulled from vintage organs for fifteen or twenty bucks. Jensen, rolas, Heppners, etc.

I've pulled a bunch from organ donors over the years. They're the same speakers that went into guitar amps back in the day.

Berndizzle440 and bgmacaw like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Weber 10F150T or 10F150. get a 50 watter. I love the GA SC64 12", but the 10" is not the same in many ways . Still good though,....... but not a 10F150T!

bgmacaw likes this.
  10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Weber 10F150T!!!
    Sounds a LOT bigger than a 10" should.

LudwigvonBirk likes this.
  11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

SFPR....I thought maybe you had a SF Pro Reverb instead of a SF Prin Rev. An Emi Legend GB128 is a great speaker in a BF/SF circuit, ime.

northernguitar likes this.
  12. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Fat Jimmy A1060

13. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

I have put 12" speakers, an EV SRO12 and a JBL D120f in my SFPRs along with Deluxe Reverb OTs. Just my preference but they both gig very well and have for years. Baffles are readily available. Both are '68s.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

15. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

Hang on, your amp tech said: " the amp tech says the original speaker is on its last legs and will only sound good at lower volumes"
    I would be curious to know exactly what that means.
    Is the cone dry rotted? Is the spider loose or the adhesives cracked?
    What brand speaker are we talking about?
    If it's a Jensen, you should consider recone.
    Sorry, I just get a bit suspicious when I hear statements like that without solid details.

dannyh and BobbyZ like this.
  16. bgmacaw

I talked to him when I picked it up yesterday. He told/showed me that someone had done an incorrect recone on the original Jensen. I think it was done by a (former) friend of mine who I had loaned it to for a couple of years a while ago when he needed a lower volume gigging amp. He also had messed up the reverb tank wiring with bad soldering. (If a friend is nice/trusting enough to loan you gear, don't try to fix it for them if you don't really know what you're doing!)

I may get the original speaker reconed at some point but I may also try some different speakers in there too.

17. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Jensen Tornado 100 Classic 10" and 12" are very good with Tweed amps when amp produce sweet sound. I home play more to low power alnicos because I like their low volume sound but when I tune my builds I use Tornado. If I ever need to carry my gear to higher volume sessions Neodym will be my loudspeaker

I have not yet built later Fenders but I believe Tornado is good with them as well. However Neodyms are detailed and playing technicue needs to be good and if amp or effect sound bad it comes thru perhaps more than with other magnet loudspeakers.

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Like @Andy ZZ I also get suspicious when I hear this type of thing, especially with a Princeton Reverb!
    Here's why.
    Weak filter caps sound a whole lot like bad speakers when you push them. A lot of bad techs don't like to replace the cap cans in Princetons if they look good and seem to work. Amp doesn't hum, they must be good.
    Now the same thing can happen in a bigger amp like Twin Reverb but you're not likely to turn up a Twin far enough to get them breaking down, a Princeton you will.
    Easy way to check is turn the amp up till the speaker starts farting out. Then without changing settings plug it into another speaker.
    The part about not changing settings is important because 98% of the time the new speaker is louder so you turn down, to the point where the weak caps work ok. When that happens bad techs think it's fixed.

Not picking on your tech here! It just happens so often that it's something people should be aware of.
    So what's the cap can say on it?
    If it says Mallory, there's your sign.

dannyh likes this.
  19. bgmacaw

I'm pretty confident in the work he did. He has a great reputation. He did show me the issue with the reconed speaker and the tone is good when it's plugged into an external cabinet. I can't really crank it up to 11 at home anyway, at least while my wife is at home, so I'll have it turned way down, attenuated or going into an IR/DI setup most of the time.

BobbyZ likes this.
  20. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

But you can take a look to see if the cap can has been replaced...

dannyh and BobbyZ like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.