Replacement pot for Fender Volume pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tele salivas, Jun 5, 2014.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I purchased my Fender Volume pedal (used) about 8 months ago and the pot went out on me last week. I had been expecting it for some time. I can see that Fender does not manufacture the Re-Issue Classic Series pedals any longer. Finding a replacement pot of the 250K audio taper variety that would actually fit the seat and be long enough to give the string and pulley mechanism the original tension and alignment took a little doing.

I did not want to spend as much on the replacement pot as I did on the pedal. And I hate the idea of scrapping a pedal just because there isn't a cost effective replacement part. That's one of the things I've always liked about Fender products; you could usually fix them yourself with a little understanding of the components and you could usually find the parts easy enough.

It took a little time, but I found a good source and the product seems to work great. $7.95 for two 250K audio pots, shipping included. I figured, 'fine I'll get two in case one of them doesn't work or is scratchy, etc'.

I shouldn't have worried.

This pot feels great, gives me that nice wide taper, and is very smooth. Like the original pot, highs are cut a little bit, just what I was expecting!:lol: (I use it mainly for pedal steel, and 250K output will load the high output pickup-20K!- signal, causing highs to be cut a little. Putting a buffer or line driver in the chain solves that problem).

I thought I'd post the information for others who really like the old Fender Volume pedals and also do not want to pay an arm and a leg for a simple pot.

Product is specifically a CHERKFAN CF-r1610ny A250K potentiometer.
    I purchased through Musiclily.com advertising a 2-pack 250K Long-Shaft Audio-Taper Potentiometers on Amazon: Amazon.com: 2-pack 250K Long-Shaft Audio-Taper Potentiometers: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412aP0iTPbL.@@AMEPARAM@@412aP0iTPbL

You may notice the drum holding the wiper and parts is smaller than normal pots we find on guitars, and the shaft is quite a bit longer, as well as smaller in diameter. Aside from the electrical measurement, these characteristics are very important to make sure the pot fits in the seat and is also long enough and skinny enough to hold the wheel the string goes around, as well as aligns with the pulleys on the opposite end of the pedal.

A little research provided that the OEM, SHENZHEN CHERKFAN ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD., is an ISO9000 quality assurance company. That might not mean much to most people here, but the product is definitely up to that standard.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, super thanks for the info! I love my Fender Volume RI that I got cheap on fleaBay. I probably should buy the pots for the future, because it is a lifetime keeper pedal.

3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I would think you'd be able to still get the correct replacement pot from a Fender Authorized service center. I would just email Fender to see where they suggest to get them. They should keep parts available even for discontinued pedals for some time.

Al

4. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Zombiwoof, you are correct. You can get replacements at the recommended service centers, but the pot the service center by my home(luckily enough, a block away) would order would cost me almost as much as I paid for the pedal. That's what I was trying to avoid.($30! Although the extra knurly dome knobs I saw were only $13, so I did get those while I was there:p).

But I also didn't want to use a cheap alternative, something that was going to break in a few months or a year. For pedal steel, the pots are really put through their paces. For six string, I wouldn't worry about it much, but for pedal steel a volume pedal gets used a lot and is a major component to your technique and sound. You feel a cheap pot right away. Hopefully, given the manufacturer's ISO9000 rating, and how this pot sounds and feels under my foot, I will not have to think about it for a few years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.