Replacement pickups for Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by LGOberean, Oct 16, 2019.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I really like the Kinman Woodstock models I put in my EJ Strat.
    They’re not cheap, but they are hum free and sound great.
    Full disclosure, I got mine dirt cheap on CL, but I have since put Kinmans in my Kestrel bass, and gold top Paul.
    They’re worth the price, IMO.

BB likes this.
  2. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

Picked up a set of these - Collins T-159 for a black label squire series strat Im modding. They’re handmade in Texas and pop up on eBay from time to time. I offered $40 for a fat 50’s clone set and he accepted. They sound great and are very nicely made.

http://faroncollins.com/Electronics.html

Lot of small winders out there making really nice stuff that’s inexpensive and competes well / favorably with the more expensive boutique guys and big bigger businesses.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    BB likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Both are good designs. I just ordered a set of Rail Humbuckers myself.

awasson likes this.
  4. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

You've just given me an idea! I'm rebuilding my old bandmates Ibanez small body semi-hollow body and although the OEM pickups are still working, they're just as trashed as the rest of the guitar and I was never excited by their sound. I should get a set of Deneb-Tone rail humbuckers for it once I'm ready for them.

Zepfan likes this.
  5. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Get the best pickups you can afford !! You can not go wrong with Fender FAT 50's or 60's and when you UPGRADE to a Real Fender , you can move the pups over.

6. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

and i read sweeter, vintage Strat tones.
    adding that up, and you living in the US = Bill Lawrence pickups.
    L45 blade, for me, soft attack vs the l280 who is my favorite and modern sounding and beats the L200 that is more vintage sounding that i personal did not like so much.
    but clean, they do it all, but there is difference in attack.

keystone strat set, the only set i liked the middle pickup a lot, smooth warm sounding, but can do the Budy Guy thins in between quack sound. almost silent, great set for the money.

i tried a microcoil neodium tele set with adjustable pole pieces.
    the neck pickup, oh man, what a dynamic round deep sound, but i did not like the bridge pickup.
    at first i thought it was defective, it had, in my ears, way less output.
    send them to a friend to check them, and they were fine, checkt my hearing, and i miss some high freq.
    so i left them with my friend so he could enjoy the whole set and the bridge pickup would not end up in a box ore drawer somewhere.

but knowing that the neckpickup floored me, and i would live in the US, i would try the microcoil strat set with neodium adjustable poles. (but shipment and import/taxes ratings makes that a expensive move with my budget, while the pickups, handmade, are a bargain)

but having said that, i know that Cavalier en Bootstrap could help you to if you can specify the sound you are looking for.

(buy the way, the guitar may not be a strat ore look like one, but he the PRS silver sky isn't to and sounds not bad eather ;-) )
    happy pickup hunting

7. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

YouTube videos just cannot accurately represent what you will hear when you listen to the pickups in question live, and for real ... in your guitar.

awasson likes this.
  8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i made a cheap strat with tone control on the neck and bridge.
    now i don't know a lot of the technical stuff, but i know when you could mention here what kind off pots the peavey is using, some guys here could give you advise what caps to use to loose the sharp edges.
    (but are you capable off using a solder iron?, good guitar to learn it on)
    and how does the guitar feel? because if it aint feels good, than changing electronics will not change that

awasson likes this.
  9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have two American Strats. One is a Standard and the other a Deluxe. The Standard has CS Fat 50s and the Deluxe came with a set of SD Antiquity Texas Hots, which I believe are the equivalent of Texas Specials.

The Fat 50s are actually cleaner and louder than the Duncans. The Duncan’s compress the signal more so that it sounds like it’s driving the front of the amp harder, but it’s really not-I guess. The 50s sound airy, open, and trebly. The Duncan’s are slightly darker and sound more ballsy although, as I mentioned, the 50s actually out volume them.

Incidentally, I’d like to mention that the experience has taught me that relying on dc resistance to compare a set of pickups is bs. It is a factor, but there many other variables that also make a difference. It’s like judging what a variety of ice cream will taste like based on the fat content of the cream.

I need to get some breakfast.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@8barlouie I agree entirely - strength of magnets (more than the type of magnets, imho) and gauge of the wire are also big contributors. Then there is pickup construction itself. Unfortunately, the only easy thing to test for is DC resistance and not all manufacturers publish full specs :(. So often DC resistance is all we have to go on, but I have been surprised by this before and will be again!

8barlouie likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

This is most likely to be true because of differences in the guitar, strings, player, amp, amp settings, recording abilities and setup, room dynamics and whatever effect might be used.
    If you listen to a few different recordings of the same pickups, then you can get a good idea of what you can expect out of that particular pickup. But, every guitar will offer it's own tonal influence to the situation. That's when height adjustments, electronic mods and magnet switching can tailor the tone.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  12. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I recently put a set of Rio Grand Vintage Tallboys in my Strat-like Object and love them. They are flat pole which works well with my compound radius fretboard while still giving me a vintage-inspired sound. Previously, I’ve really liked Fender’s CS 69 pickups but they are staggered pole set for a wound G and sounded slightly funky on this particular partscaster. I really like Fralin’s Vintage Hot, too. Good luck!

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  13. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

years ago, i had a set of the Fralin 54s and i think they were probably my favorite traditional style strat pickup to play through. i still have not encountered anything that beats them.

14. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

everyone always raves about these! i have never heard a single negative review about any product Rio Grande puts out. humbuckers and single-coils alike. they must be doing something right. they are high in the running for the parts list of my next build. for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.