1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Replacement Neck Pickup Options for '68 Tele – Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Luke1026, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

It’s the same guitar with an ugly body route featured in the recent thread,

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/vinta...do-it-dont-do-it.1066879/page-9#post-10580310

Currently, it has a Lollar Royal T in the neck, and it definitely sounds good, however, I’ve been toying with the idea of replacing it with a newer Fender p’up that is either more period correct or is just in a league of its own tone-wise, but doesn’t cost somewhere around $600-$900 like an original ’68 would.

68 Tele-1.jpg

To give an idea of the kind of tone that I like, the 2020 Fender 70th Anniversary 50/51 Blackguard p’ups are among the best I’ve heard in a long time. They sound really good clean, but as they approach the point of breakup they have a lively aggressive overdriven tone that to me isn’t just forward and gritty, but is also quite harmonic at the same time. That’s a combination that IMO is hard to beat.

I guess that sound is likely dependent upon having both the neck and bridge designed to work together as the 50/51’s are, so I’m not sure if that sound will be attainable given that I have, and will continue to use, the original ’68 Tele bridge p’up. So I suppose that will have to be kept in mind when considering neck options.

All opinions are appreciated.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Your toe is near the bottom of the rabbit hole

Balladeer likes this.
  3. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

I suppose it is, but I just don't have enough experience with Telecaster pickups to know which few I should consider.

Instead of spending a lot of money trying numerous pickups in search of something that I would be happy with (almost certainly a money-pit), I thought getting a variety of opinions from others with loads of experience, would provide information that could help my decision-making.

At the very least I would have a number of pickup ideas to start my search with. Is there a better way of accomplishing this?

4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Lindy Fralin.
    Jason Lollar.

aadvark likes this.
  5. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Well I'm not sure, I thought maybe using a Fender brand pickup might be best, perhaps something like an Original Vintage '52 Telecaster neck pickup. They're still available and not expensive.

6. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Seymour Duncan Antiquity, Five-Two, Alnico II, Broadcaster or Vintage.

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

These are also NOT period correct since they are A3.
    In fact your existing Lolar pickup is more period correct since it is A5...
    If you want to be 100% period correct search for A5 pickups in the 6.3K-6.8K region.
    Still your existing Lolar pickup is a STELLAR pickup and if I were you I would leave it alone.

aadvark, Luke1026 and Fretting out like this.
  8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

You have to decide if period correct is important to you. 1968 Fender pick ups sound great.

The Fender '52 reissue pickups are fine sounding pick ups. I think Don Mare "Donnocasters" have a more balanced sound. That's what sit's in my '89 AVRI 52.

Another Mare pick up to consider is the "Hayride", his take on the '54-'63 Fender pick up. It has twang, spank and a balanced sound without ice pick highs. I have 2 sets of these and they nail the classic Fender sound.

One more to consider is Manlius pick ups. He offers a pick up created after researching a set of '56 Telecaster pick ups. They are not weaker sounding, but to me have a great "worn in" sound. Also very balanced and reasonably priced too.

Both the above winders will wind a custom pick up for you, if you know what you want. I go with what they offer stock and have not been disappointed.

Luke1026 likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This doesn’t have to be a rabbit hole.

Fender makes excellent pickups as you have surmised.

Their Pure Vintage ‘64 set is outstanding. Is that close enough? Would be for me.

Luke1026 likes this.
  10. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

I appreciate all the feedback, it's all helpful. I will spend some time with the Lollar Royal T as it would be less complicated just to dial it in and keep using it. The Pure Vintage '64 is a tempting suggestion, as is the Antiquity.

11. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

I have a Don Mare in the neck of my 55 tele and I'm extremely happy with it. His pickups are truly exceptional

Luke1026 likes this.
  12. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I like m too. They seem to have a smooth treble. Never harsh or brittle to my ears. But Don's are not the only pickups with those qualities.

Adam Wolfaardt and Luke1026 like this.
  13. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

While considering all of the great options suggested here, I have a Larrivee wound neck pickup from a Bakersfield Tele that I'm going to try. I've been told it has great clarity and good output but isn't too bright. It reads 7.39k. I'll be trying it in a different guitar but I should be able to get a good idea of its tonal characteristics.

14. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

This thread shows clearly why the PU industry is making a fortune out of almost nothing.

bluemud928 likes this.
  15. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I'm a little late to this party but, just FYI, I put those Fender 52's in my Nocaster I built and I absolutely love em. Like you, I was overwhelmed at the number of pup mfg's out there and thought to myself "welp... they are Fender afterall and I'm trying to stay historic so..." and I'm glad I made that choice. As you say, they're not expensive so if you don't like their sound, you're not out much... but I think you'll like em ;)

Luke1026 and aadvark like this.
  16. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

I've had a lot of joy with these Lindy Fralin pickups for a vintage tone:

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/stock-tele/

you can choose the type and output and amount of winding to suit... I'd go with the vintage, low output variety.

That Lollar should be pretty good, but I understand the urge to go more 'traditional' tele.

it is a rabbit hole, you can pay a lot more...
    don't go crazy, good luck! You will likely get a hundred different suggestions.

Telekarster likes this.
  17. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 68 tele - the original pickups sucked. I put in Dimarzio Area T, huge improvement, no noise, depends on what you play and what sound you need.

IMO pretty much anything out there these days over $100 per pickup is an improvement.

18. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

...as if the price would be a quality feature. Not.

19. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Well under $100 with great build quality and sound.

https://www.frettech.com/

The Lion King
    - The Lion King offers unfettered vintage tone for those wishing the aesthetic look of the Tele® covered neck pickup, with more treble on tap than a typical Tele neck pickup. The thin nickel-silver mirror chrome cover is independently grounded from the coil leads, allowing phase reversal and easy hook up with ANY type of pickup select switch: 3-way, 4-way, 5-way, mega, etc. A5 rod magnets under 8500 turns of 43AWG coil wire. Supplied with body or pickguard mounting screws and height tubing.

Luke1026 likes this.
  20. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

I tend to agree. I know that price isn't always an indication of quality, but it seems there are so many winders out there trying to increase their market share, that they have to produce a quality product in order to stay in business. Those companies that do manage to develop great-sounding pickups know they can charge a bit of a premium which in turn increases their profits and their reputation. I think it might be due to these circumstances that more and more winders are producing decent pickups.

BTW, I've heard nothing but consistent praise for Dimarzio Area T's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.