Replacement Neck Pick for American Pro

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Edael, Sep 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Edael

Edael TDPRI Member

Hi everyone,

I have a Tele American Pro 2016, I like it but I'm not mad about the neck pickup. It sounds a bit thin and dull to me. Looking for something a bit richer and fatter but still punchy and clear, and that goes well with the standard v-mod bridge pickup (I don’t see any reason for changing that one). I live in Ireland so I’d need something available here... Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

2. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Mincer likes this.
  3. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

4. Edael

Edael TDPRI Member

Thanks, they both look interesting, I am wandering what the difference between the two would be, the quarter pound is described as hotter... Always a difficult choice without having the chance to try first. Also, I have changed pickups on a Strat in the past but never on a Tele. My guess is that I'll need to remove the controls plate as well as the pickguard to solder the new lead? Is it an easy job?

5. Pechorin

Pechorin TDPRI Member

I don't know what the V-Mod bridge would be like with the Duncan QP, but I do know I'd consider the latter as far 'richer and fatter' than the stock pickup.

While I'd be happy to use the QP I prefer the vintage Duncan neck pickup, the STR-1. The character of it changes depending on if it's uncovered or not, but in either case it's cool and definitely useable.

If you want to stay with Fender, then the Nocaster neck could be fairly described as 'punchy and clear', although I find the OV neck a little more fuller/fatter and another viable option.

As ever, it's all subjective and when you further add playing style, pickup height(s), amp etc into the equation it can change things dramatically.

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Since you live in the EU take advantage of the low prices, awesome quality, zero customs/taxes/duties and fantastic service (custom builds are not additionally charged) of Q pickups.

http://www.qpickups.com/

7. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Check out Alegree. Or the Fralin Blues Special.

8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Whew! I thought you were going to replace the neck - which is my favorite part of the American Professional!

I like the Twisted Tele neck pickup in my Tele, but I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for.

9. Scarecrow937

Scarecrow937 TDPRI Member

I recommend the Twisted Tele pickup...very stratty sounding and good depth. Mine's loaded into an American Standard Channel bound.

10. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

There is also a Strat Pickup under a Tele Cover from Duncan.

11. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Unless you are willing to go with a strat neck pickup, I would recommend a Lollar Royal T.

12. Edael

Edael TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. What about the Dimarzio Twang King? I'm reading good things about it. Anyone knows it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.